Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't build things like they used to...
Also, this is why we don't have craftsman or other specialized trades anymore. We didn't value their skills until after they went away. Track houses didn't need fancy wood work. The houses built after WWII were basically a box. Try finding someone now who could do good wood work, its nearly imposable or very, very expensive.

Just look at how people were flipping houses just a few years ago. That kind of says it all how we here in America do things. It's not like that in other countries. That's why we buy high end cars from Europe or Italian suites from Italy. They still have the crafts people that can do that and it's appreciated by its culture.

I'm simply appauled by america's art tools. I see these terrible pens strutting around like they own the place. and this dispicable ink. This stuff doesnt last forever. it smears and turns green in a few years. how is my art supposed to last forever? its a terrible truth. Thats why i draw digitally now. because i cant confide in these cheap synthetic brushes and ultra thin paper. i will continue to import costly supplies from foreign countries. america has failed in durable and long lasting supplies.

These days building quality products doesn't matter...its all about building at the lowest possible manufacturing cost

in most case the requirements have changed

ManicLewis21 Wrote:I'm simply appauled by america's art tools. I see these terrible pens strutting around like they own the place. and this dispicable ink. This stuff doesnt last forever. it smears and turns green in a few years. how is my art supposed to last forever? its a terrible truth. Thats why i draw digitally now. because i cant confide in these cheap synthetic brushes and ultra thin paper. i will continue to import costly supplies from foreign countries. america has failed in durable and long lasting supplies.

Yep, but if your computer goes down or the power goes out, so dose your art work.

MikeMG Wrote:Yep, but if your computer goes down or the power goes out, so dose your art work.

Not if he chooses to backup his work.

I totally hear you, "NOTHING" is made the way it used to be made. It has become an art form to figure out a way to make everything thinner, lighter and less expensive (not less expensive to the end user though, lol). Even harder anymore to find stuff made in the USA, very sad....

It's one of those things of the consumer society, that is called IN-BUILT OBSOLESCENCE, meaning the quality of the machine or object is not supposed to last longer than a set amount of years, generally: it's meant to last at least until the legal guarantee is out (which can be one year, three years, five years, depending...) The economic purpose of IN-BUILT OBSOLESCENCE is obviously to keep the customer coming for a new one after the latest one passed out, and even if that doesn't happen, as with mobile (cell) phones, they try to get you to upgrade it for one that's newer and has newer functions.
Interestingly for food, when the price of, say, wheat and cocoa goes up, they keep the product but re-harness the packaging... make you think you're buying the same box, stick a "NEW" tag on it, or a "NEW RECIPE" tag on it and lower the quantities in weight (ever so slightly, so you won't notice that your product has taken a 5-10% hike upwards in price but a fall in weight. Clever stuff... marketing.