Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earth Hour 2009
fjp999 Wrote:Well, actually it will, eventually. Dont really have a choice unless we start working really quickly on trying to get mother nature back on a healing cycle, that is if she is in a sick cycle...

That might well be technically true. However the problem is that those that will suffer from making the change are alive and voting now, those that will benefit are future generations yet to be born.

fjp999 Wrote:I just dont see things improving much until a huge percentage of cars are removed and replaced by 100% green cars

First 100% green cars have to actually exist as a practical reality. Electric / hydrogen fuel cell cars are only 100% green if you have a 100% green electricity production. If you have a lot of electric / hydrogen fuel cell cars then you will need a lot of electricity.

Also, don't that most carbon dioxide is produced from non-transport sources, industry, heating homes and offices, etc.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Interesting topic

From the materials I have seen I have drawn the following conclusions.

The only way to reliably decrease the amount of carbon humans put into the atmosphere is to take a whole lifestyle approach, which means that we have to change everything we use from power production to cars to the light bulbs in our houses.

There is no single easy solution, it will take a combination of approaches and technologies to get us out of the cycle we are in.

Some of the technologies are ready, like compact flourescent bulbs, some are not like hybrid cars. That doesn't mean we shouldn't keep working and investing though.

Nuclear is a short term fix but not a long range one.

My lights will be off for an hour on 28 March because I think it's important that individuals make what effort they can. Such as, turning lights off and changing bulbs, (which I have done in case you are wondering), but you can only control what you can control.
Richard

Earth hour is great and all but were well and truely fucked.

One question, what proportion of persons observing earth hour use most of the electricity/fuel they would have used during earth hour during the time before or after? E.g. waiting until earth hour is over until switching the washing machine on, which makes the whole affair even more pointless.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:One question, what proportion of persons observing earth hour use most of the electricity/fuel they would have used during earth hour during the time before or after? E.g. waiting until earth hour is over until switching the washing machine on, which makes the whole affair even more pointless.

This is a great point made by cyclist all the time. I recall when every driver was suppose to NOT gas up on blah blah day and it was argued how ridiculous this thought was as the HUGE lines to fill up the next day would create such toxic clouds over the stations as the cars sat their guzzling gas as they waited to fill up nearing empty tanks Rofl Rofl Rofl

The hour is almost upon SA as 8:30 draws closer.Already seen a dark Sydney habour on earthTV,very kiff!Now that Frank has abandoned me,I must devise a way to keep myself entertained during this time.What is pleasurable,involves the taking off of clothes and lying in bed?Sleep of course!

Woo!It was the first time ever that I'd seen Table Mountain dark!Great initiative,I feel so good afterwards.Dark city,bright idea.

Some of Seattle's tallest scrapers and the Space Needle were darkened. It was strange but reassuring to know that they are aware of Earth hour.

[COLOR="Purple"]So glad I wasnt abandoned and Danny held my hand thru it all Xyxthumbs And even after... way FOREVER, hehehe.

Only near accident was pissing on the toilet seat cover in the dark Scatter [/COLOR]

fjp999 Wrote:Only near accident was pissing on the toilet seat cover in the dark Scatter

RoflRoflRoflRofl

Don't you lift the lid up or was it too dark ?!?!?!?!