Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enough is enough - Facebook
Find below a little story I read on the Facebook page of the group 'Enough is Enough'

Quote:Your post From Gay Travel about the good big brother and the lousy parents,made me want to share a story from my childood in support of my parents and their unconditional love. When I was 10 years old, my butch older brother, my butch Army Father, and myself (total Miss Thing for the purposes of this story) Were sitting in the living room together. My Dad and brother were watching an NFL game and I was knitting a scarf to go with my new winter coat! My Father looked at me knitting and looked at my brother watching football and lost his way for a second. He said"why don't you ever do things boys do?" I was crushed. my scarf was the perfect shade of blue to set off my eyes, and I was very proud.Always up for Drama, I ripped up my knititing and twitched from the room, slammig doors all the way out of the house. My Father came and found me a few minutes later(I suspect after a tounge lashing from my Mom) and took me to get IceCream. On the way there he told me"I may never understand you, and I am sorry for that, Just know that I love you and i always will" From that moment on I was always secure in his affection for me and he never tried to make be be anything other than what I was.For that I will always love him.I knitted him a scarf for Christmas.

That was a nice story and a great dad and I knit too!

Ive always found that the teens who get all pissy over every little thing their parents do, grow up to be just like them.

My sister is a PRIME example.

Though our mother was a self-serving, manipulative, backstabbing liar, my sister said she would NEVER grow up like that.

Well, she didnt grow up EXACTLY like our mother, but all of her friends, family, and me kept telling her she was TOO much like our mother. She would throw tantrums you wouldnt believe. SHE wasnt ANYTHING like her, SHE wasnt EVER going to be like HER!!! But yet my sister would say, do, and even act as our mother did when we were younger. I mean the EXACT same phrases, tone of voice, words, etc... She even had the same hairstyles for a while, and refused to acknowledge any of it.

Once she hit 40 though, I guess she started doing some heavy self analysis. She told me one day that she was sorry. Sorry for being like momma. Sorry for throwing tantrums for when people told her she was acting or saying things like her. She said she knew she did those things like momma, but refused to accept that she was being compared to her, as nobody liked her....especially her kids.

Point is, everytime I read a story about kids and their parents, I can only see that what they get so pissed at their parents for, they themselves will be doing that to their friends and partners/family.
No, not all kids take after their parents, but on the whole, most of them do. I even did, but I got myself out of it, as my sister did later on.

well...I don't knit...or anything like "that"....still never did "what every other boy did" so my dad has always been distant...not aggressive, not hostile....but distant..

glad to hear there are some dadas out there capable of seeing past their own expectations of what their children "are supposed to be"