Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expenses - They should be fired
That quote has been used numerous times, in this expenses bollocks.

Let me just point out, how can they be fired for doing little wrong, the whole has been open for many years and has shown to suggest their is nothing wrong with using the public's money for their own up keeping.

Yeah its wrong but its not entirely down to the people taking advantage, its down to the leaders, and quite frankly Gordon Brown should quit for not closing the hole!!!!!

Fuck it if I was in their situation I would bloody well buy two houses, lets be honest here we're relying upon the fact people within politics are ethical (what a load of shit!).

Its a complete joke no doubt, but the press are putting pressure on people that do not need the pressure, its wrong yes but we should be focusing on putting the blame upon people in higher management we cannot make people ethical if they had no ethics to begin with!

Unfortunately this is where I see a line in using rules, why where people able to buy so much without it going unnoticed, democracy my arse this is a complete joke of a country but yet its better than most.

I think that the Queen should dissolve parliment and they should all have to run for election again once they sort the good from the bad. parliment will close for the summer soon anyway so this would be the right time to do it.

We're at war in two countries, problems in Ireland are back on the agenda, our civil rights are being eroded, there is a global recession, man induced climate change and loads of other stuff going on and I can't help thinking I would like to be focussing more on proper issues for next week's elections.

There may well be people having bad intentions playing the system on the expenses thing, but I could easily believe it's more down to creeping common practice than pure malice. I agree, Card, the systems have failed, so let's hope they can get it right and let us all move on.

A few random thoughts...

First, the system was designed to be milked. For many years now, instead of MPs getting politically awkward pay rises the expenses system has been 'improved'. Everyone in Westminster knew that it was getting milked, the only thing new is how many were milking it by how much.

Whilst I am not defending those who have milked the system I do think the media is focusing on a select few who they think they can break, so generating more news.

I don't hold Gordon Brown particularly responsible, this is a matter for the House of Commons not Her Majesty's Government. As a member of the House he shares collective responsibility with the other 600-odd members but I don't think that being PM (or former Chancellor) should give him any particular responsibility, or power, over the issue.

MPs can't be sacked, they essentially have tenure for the duration of the Parliament. (If they didn't we'd run the risk of them becoming walking local opinion polls.).
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I would definitely not agree that they should be sacked. This raises the questions: by whom would they be sacked? It has been suggested that various unelected officials should have greater control over parliament. Some, as fudger describes, are calling for the Queen to dissolve parliament, or at least play a more interventionalist role, while Scotland Yard have publically expressed their distain, and wish to investigate and intervene.

I disagree with this, because I do not think that external authorities should be able to police/govern/reign over the elected wing of government, the Commons. Those, who we have elected to represent us, should be free to set their own agenda, rules and policies, and regulate themselves. I think it is not overstating it to say that without this, the democratic ideal is threatened.

I don't wish to suggest that politicians can behave how they like, but I think it is something they should sort out among themselves, and establish a new system internally, not have one imposed upon them by outside forces. I hope that we can still invest enough trust in parliament, to allow them to do this.

I have to agree with marshlander that I cannot find it within me to get too angry about this. I am sure many were abusing the system somewhat, but there are far more important things to worry about, and far greater injustices for which we could be holding politicians to account. That this has become such a 'scandal' seems to me to indicate the public's widespread mistrust and cynicism of politicans and their motives, owing to their failure to represent our interests, and be seen to be working for a better society.

I feel that politicians need to change, not only in terms of how they manage their expenses, but in the way they represent and engage with the people as a whole. But it should not be for external bodies to enforce or dictate.