Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fears:- How do you overcome them face to face?
Hello All,
From time to time we face our fears whether it be common ones such as spiders or rare ones such as cats and kittens... Yes this phobia does exist as my friend cant visit me due to this as i got a kitten white and fluffy and all purrrrrrrry.. So the question is how do you deal with them?? I have quite a few and i know people deal with fears in different ways... With your fear are you a fighter or a foe?

Well i might as well deal mine out first and tll you how one does cope....

My greatest fear is spiders... Small little ones i can contend with and pick up... Run all over my hand and arms and doesnt even affect me yet if you times a money spider by 4 stick a blackhead on the top and a big black bubble on the back then you have the starting range... Recently I had to go to my mothers and do a tip run for my step father due to his artritis he can no longer clean out the house.. Well beside the garage i had to undo and open up the side quarters which havent been touched for five years... I got half way in getting all the rubbish out and then appeared MR SPIDER!!!!! Big black and bloody scary... I found in this situation of fear I froze a little and stood there talking to it trying to reason and convince it to leave and find another place to live... Having the idea of blowing on the spider and seeing it move i freaked out and screamed like a right fairy so i bet the whole neighbourhood knew where the homo was... I used to deal with this fear in a way of costing lives... Of course it was always mister spider who got squashed but a way of trying to deal and come to terms with my fear was a line my nan told me... IF YOU WISH TO LIVE AND THRIVE LET A SPIDER RUN ALIVE!

My second phobia which is also slightly common especially in younger people is THE DENTIST... I am not worried about the drilling or anything but its more of a psychological fear of going whereby you have an injection to get numbed up but you have to wait in a room with other people having a feeling as though your about to be tortured beyond reckonition.. I found the easiest way to deal with a dentist is to analyse the situation and the proceedures taking place... I had to have root canal today and found that i was sweating loads through fear but after the first injection and all numbed up just shut ya eyes and listen to the voice of the dentist...

My third phobia is Clowns..... This im yet to conqurer but im absolutely petrified of clowns... I dont do circus I dont do fancy dress and i definately dont do childrens birthday parties.. I find clowns scary in some psycho killing act.. Or least the movies portray them as being that...

So what fears does everyone have and upon encounter how do you cope?

Kindest regards

zeon x

One of my fears is heights. Although it didn't use to be. I use to enjoy high places, till the day I fell out of a tree. Though I was lucky enough that the branches were so tightly intertwined together that as I fell through them they slowed my fall so I didn't get hurt. Although that was back when I was around the age of 8. Up until I visited the Arch in St. Louis, Missouri around the age of 14, I suffered from this fear dreadfully. After going all the way to the top and slowly peering out the windows, did the fear mostly subside. To this day, I still have a small fear of heights, but I usually, just try to ignore it whenever I have to climb up somewhere out of my comfort zone.

One of my least fears, although it still effects me in some small part, which some might see rather silly, is I have a small fear of earthquakes. They are a very, very, very rare occurrence in this part of the country but still they send a chill down my spine. This fear really doesn't present itself all that often as you are lucky if you experience one just once in your lifetime here.

Hello,
If you got a fear of earthquakes one way to overcome that is i would say moving to a place in the world which doesnt get them.. Apparently we encounter loads of earthquakes all over the world but they are so minute that they cannot be felt.. I know here in the UK they have happenned in alot of places except south east where i am..... Typical! I would find experiencing an earthquake kind of strange and daunting but also exciting at the same time as its a first time experience

Kindest regards

zeon x

PurpleHusky Wrote:I have a small fear of earthquakes.

I experienced one in St. Louis, Mo. a few years ago, it was actually really cool and interesting. It wasn't a big one though so there was nothing to worry about.

I sort of have a fear of certain bugs like spiders, centipedes, etc. I am still slightly afraid of the dark and I do not like be alone in general. My mind wonders and I will scare myself. I am not really super scared of much, but I definitely do not go diving in head first into anything.

If I can think of anything else I am afraid of I will surely add it. As for overcoming a fear, you just have to put yourself in that terrible situation and keep your wits and will about you.

sneakyc25 Wrote:I experienced one in St. Louis, Mo. a few years ago, it was actually really cool and interesting. It wasn't a big one though so there was nothing to worry about.

I sort of have a fear of certain bugs like spiders, centipedes, etc. I am still slightly afraid of the dark and I do not like be alone in general. My mind wonders and I will scare myself. I am not really super scared of much, but I definitely do not go diving in head first into anything.

If I can think of anything else I am afraid of I will surely add it. As for overcoming a fear, you just have to put yourself in that terrible situation and keep your wits and will about you.

Can I ask are you clastrophobic? I have known people who are scared of the dark and also clastrophobic which at times id say can go hand in hand

Hmm one of my biggest fears is having to swim, whether it be shallow water or deep water I'm petrified of it, partly because I'm not a strong swimmer and mostly because I have nearly drowned around five times or so, and on four occasions there has been other people swimming, life guards etc but none of them dived to my rescue so to speak, I've had to calm myself whilst taking in lots of water from shouting and going under to scramble to the edge of the pool - one of those times though I had blacked out but thankfully my brother dragged me out the pool and done the whole cpr nonsense, if it wasn't for him spotting me under the water - on holiday as it was just me and him at the pool - I might have slipped away, I've yet to attempt to face this fear of mine, but cannot work up the courage to do so, even placing my whole head under the water in a bath tub has me in panic mode and my heart racing.. apart from this.. I can't name any other "big" fears - small ones though - spiders, clowns, the dark

heights - no cure at all .... i want to ride that high waters slide trust me - i get so far up then shake n cant move - nothing to do with me at all , its pre programmed im sure , ive tried climing ben nevis - got 3 hrs in then just couldnt move again,,,was so embaressing ,, i have no fear of anything else

zeon Wrote:Can I ask are you clastrophobic? I have known people who are scared of the dark and also clastrophobic which at times id say can go hand in hand

Maybe, I am really uncomfortable in tight spaces with lots of people. I also do not like large crowds of people.

My biggest fear is driving a car. When I was young I had two uncles die in car accidents and was then plagued by nightmares about being trapped in cars as they rolled away or fell off a bridge, ect. So sadly I am a 26 year old who doesn't have his drivers lisence. I'm trying to work on it, but I always get so freaked out that I have a death grip on the steering wheel, however I'm getting better. I guess you just have to force yourself to face it, or see it a different way then before.

In my case I need to stop seeing the car as being in control and seeing myself in control instead.

After reading some fears here I don't feel so scared to say that one of my biggest fears are in Clowns. It rooted from when I was about four and my older brother decided to have me watch that Stephen King movie IT. Which did more than made me scared of Clowns, but the one fear out of that movie I got was clowns, I can't go near them or see them or I freak out and start crying; its pretty bad. I attempted to try and overcome the fear by going to root of it and tried watching the movie IT a few years ago, but I ended up running out of the room cause I couldn't handle it. I am not sure when I will get passed it, but hopefully one day.

Another fear I got from the movie IT was drains, cause I was scared something would come out of it, so you can imagine taking a shower when I was younger was really scary for me I like distanced myself from the drain and like checked behind me every like five seconds. In the end I just got over the drain fear as I realized it was physically impossible for someone to come out of my shower drain.

Overall, I think fears just take time to get through and its a matter of proving to yourself that you can make it through; its the figuring out how to prove to yourself its okay though that makes it difficult for sure.