Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding a Job
I think this is the best place to post. Being one of those 20 something year olds and trying to find a job is disheartening. Had a lot of school, depression which held me back and prevented me from job hunting for 8 months, and I'm just exhausted a lot of the time with the same rejection/null response. I know it's the market and my lack of experience/issues, but it's difficult to deal with. Anyone else who'd like to commiserate or discuss?

I agree with you, I'm just bored of the market, on my workplace I'm serious and affordable, but I dislike a lot the curriculum vitae/interview part.
I'm not working a lot in this period, also cause I want to relocate in the UK, and while there I'm going to start from the beginning again, sending covering letters etc. It's like a competition, in the past I met stupid/uneducated people, so I understand your point.
This time I will also try to find something in my field, even if I must start with a random job to pay my rent etc.
We're many, even more in my country (Italy)...

I was also thinking about opening a similar topic or something.

Confuzzled4 Wrote:I think this is the best place to post. Being one of those 20 something year olds and trying to find a job is disheartening. Had a lot of school, depression which held me back and prevented me from job hunting for 8 months, and I'm just exhausted a lot of the time with the same rejection/null response. I know it's the market and my lack of experience/issues, but it's difficult to deal with. Anyone else who'd like to commiserate or discuss?

Have you thought of trying to set up something on your own, something in which you can use your skills (whatever they are) but not depend on someone else hiring you? I don't know if this is an option for you, @confuzzled. Crowdfunding is also a way of starting off such a project.

Look for 'A' job rather than look for 'THE' job.

You NEED a job to get a job.

Too many people these days WANT to start at the top which is unrealistic, you need to start at the bottom and work for the job you want...that means try every supermarket, McDonalds, KFC or shovel shit for the local council.

Get A job to get THE job.

deephiance Wrote:Look for 'A' job rather than look for 'THE' job.

You NEED a job to get a job.

Too many people these days WANT to start at the top which is unrealistic, you need to start at the bottom and work for the job you want...that means try every supermarket, McDonalds, KFC or shovel shit for the local council.

Get A job to get THE job.

I always love deephiance's no nonsense Aussie responses in a lot of forums! He's right mate, we live in an ever changing economy and it's hard out there. Like he says, get any job to start with, get employment on your CV- it's kind of like dating; you're always more attractive when you're in a relationship, meaning of you're in a job, it's easier to find another. Also, voluntary work is a good way in- e.g. if you studied something like law, volunteer for a free legal advice service, if you studied psychology and want to be a counsellor, volunteer for a listening service etc etc, if you're willing to work for nothing it shows that you are both willing to work and are community focused. And you never know a job may come up in your field due to this! These things all take time mate!

Don't gobblefunk around with words. - Roald Dahl

I concur, I think we all want to start with our "dream" job but we really have to climb the ladder. I have been giving a lot of thought about going back to school but I don't know if or how long it would be before it would "pay off"

I think a lot of folks getting through college thinking they'll walk right into a career making good money need to take a 2nd look at the stats. Most people graduating don't waltz into a good job or any job. Very easy to find people with BA and BS degrees in popular fields who are working at Burger King. Me, in my particular case I feel that I got lucky being able to get into jobs with good experience with the education I have. Perhaps I undervalue my Associates degree, but I get the feel that an associates degree aren't really taken seriously, not as serious as the experience anyway.

One thing I can say from my experience with about 10 years in the IT field is that employers generally aren't all the interested in your education but what you can do and how willing you are to do it.

When I first got started into anything IT I was doing an "internship" at a computer shop in town. The owner hired me 6 months later because I kept coming back and I was very much interested in the work and although I made a whopping $9 an hour it was a start. I learned a lot a bout the business and was self employed for about 2 years. Being self employed, really, isn't what you think and it isn't for everyone... at least for how things are here in the US. There are so many tax laws and things you have to be aware of, licensed in some cases, it really sucks the fun out and you really end up having to be a better bookkeeper than being good at what you do in a lot of instances.

You have to be willing to say "take one for the team" to get anywhere...not saying to settle but be willing to accept what you can find at the time, got to pay the bills. I remember at the end of being self employed I was almost to the point of just taking whatever sort of job I could find.

I will tell you another thing, job descriptions don't mean jack. I feel that they often are trying to scare off people who don't need to apply for the job and those who are too bashful to apply for it because they lack confidence...more of a side effect. I can tell you that I was really worried about getting hired on where I am at now. I was worried I wouldn't be smart enough or knew enough...but you know what that's how I felt starting out anywhere.

Anyway, this thread is a good reminder to myself how good I do have it because there are people better than I who don't. I am very grateful for where I am and the people I do get to work with.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I never really got the impression that Confuzzled is some kind of entitled princess who is looking to be a CEO right away.

I didn't realise we were working on 'impressions'...I thought we were asked to 'discuss' job seeking????

Thank you [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION] I went to school and was pursuing a doctorate, I've even applied to jobs that pay 15/hr, so don't tell me I'm looking too high.