Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding a Job
Cowboy Wrote:If you dont mind me asking Sir, what is it that you do for a living? You are much older than the guy that posted this and entry level job prospects were different in what the 1980's?

We're they?

You didnt answer my questions, but yes they were, they always are. Demands change and so does the job market.

I didn't answer because i don't see how what I do as a career is relevent and I don't see how in essence the job market has changed in 30 years most particularly when it comes to entry level roles into the job market. We may do things differently, but in essences the forces and roles are the same as 30 years ago.

[MENTION=24256]RomanticMan[/MENTION] I've been given that advice as well, I am a bit reluctant to do that but I know of someone who had no formal education go from loading paper to becoming a very successful consultant, granted he got his start over 20 years ago, but it may hold some truth today.
[MENTION=24118]deephiance[/MENTION] Your posts made a lot of assumptions about me, of which all are inaccurate. I have talked with Emiliano a lot, so he knows my situation and was defending me, which I appreciate. Your comments go beyond just assumptions, they are sanctimonious. The job market absolutely has changed because in 30 years a much greater percentage of the population has at least a bachelor's degree and the cost for higher education has gone up significantly. I mention that last part because it is a part of the reason many are not willing to take a lower paying job because they have large debt. I am fortunate to have resources and worked to pay for my undergraduate education and received full funding for my graduate education. I said the point was for advice or commiseration because I know those who don't have the proper advice are likely to have gone through a similar situation or know someone in the same situation. If you're going to make assumptions, be ignorant, or put down Emiliano, Cowboy, me, or anyone else leave.

Confuzzled4 Wrote:[MENTION=24256]RomanticMan[/MENTION] I've been given that advice as well, I am a bit reluctant to do that but I know of someone who had no formal education go from loading paper to becoming a very successful consultant, granted he got his start over 20 years ago, but it may hold some truth today.
[MENTION=24118]deephiance[/MENTION] Your posts made a lot of assumptions about me, of which all are inaccurate. I have talked with Emiliano a lot, so he knows my situation and was defending me, which I appreciate. Your comments go beyond just assumptions, they are sanctimonious. The job market absolutely has changed because in 30 years a much greater percentage of the population has at least a bachelor's degree and the cost for higher education has gone up significantly. I mention that last part because it is a part of the reason many are not willing to take a lower paying job because they have large debt. I am fortunate to have resources and worked to pay for my undergraduate education and received full funding for my graduate education. I said the point was for advice or commiseration because I know those who don't have the proper advice are likely to have gone through a similar situation or know someone in the same situation. If you're going to make assumptions, be ignorant, or put down Emiliano, Cowboy, me, or anyone else leave.

Welcome to the real world Big Grin thats what we call for it. Education is not for earning a decent money. it's just for intellectual development or for finding a comfortable job.
I know many of those you talk about. But that's the life itself. I know some people who works at a hotel and gets many $$$. So I personally dont think education is related to the money you get. Maybe it's one criterion but definately not a determinant factor (unless it's very very reputable job).

[MENTION=24118]deephiance[/MENTION] its absolutely relevant what you do for a living, if you tell somebody the key to success we need to know how successful you are, its called establishing credibility.

Dont worry I did a little digging on you, among the things I was able to find was a myspace account with pictures of your naked ass, I wasnt impressed. Overall you seem like a loser, youre like a thousand years old and still single so I guess that says it all. Youre a skinny rattish looking little man who likes to put down people, Ive been following this forum for a long time, so please dont try to front. I bet you are just as dried up on the inside as you look on the outside.

-Cowboys over Queens

Confuzzled4 Wrote:[MENTION=24256]RomanticMan[/MENTION] I've been given that advice as well, I am a bit reluctant to do that but I know of someone who had no formal education go from loading paper to becoming a very successful consultant, granted he got his start over 20 years ago, but it may hold some truth today.

oh! I see...I don't know you from a bar of soap, given that I have made no assumptions of you or anyone else. I merely responded to

Confuzzled4 Wrote:Anyone else who'd like to commiserate or discuss?

With a general observation of todays current market as an employer for over 3 decades.

Those comments are hardly dismissive, judgemental or ignorant, but a general observation I chose to 'discuss' in the employment market.

So please, continue to entertain me with ASSUMPTIONS that the employment market is different today compared to 30 years ago. Education for most jobs holds the same relevance today as it did 30 years ago. The expense of education and the number of people seeking college/university education is completely irrelevant as a majority of people in the 80's, 90's 00's and 10's will never gain employment in their field of education.

My comment is relevant today as it was 30 years ago. It also holds relevant weather you are 16 or 60 and seeking employment.

The simple fact is that if one is unemployed and seeking employment, they are less likely to land a role in a business if they are competing for a job against someone, weather they be 16 or 60, who is flipping burgers at McDonalds.

I'm sorry if you feel you fit into that category and you feel I was judging you, but it wasn't me that put you into that category.

The employment market and the dynamics that make up the employment market have never changed.

Hang in there [MENTION=23286]Confuzzled4[/MENTION] Im in the same boat as you. I had a job paying me 13$ an hour Mon-Fri, My job and my 40 other cow workers had all our jobs cut. Fresh out of high school so its weird now how the job market works. It seems to be more of luck and who you know to get a good job. But hang in there and don't give up Smile
I am the angles that hold and surround you

I am the demon you're afraid to meet

Different job experiences and different sensitivities (but probably also a different job market context).

You're all about tough love, [MENTION=24118]deephiance[/MENTION], aren't you ? Wink