Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friend's Question Offensive?
I find it offensive that someone would think homosexuality and bestiality is the same thing, but I understand that some people just aren't very smart, no offense to your friend. In your position I would ask her how is loving a (consenting) adult is the same as screwing animals.

Interesting (if sad) experience, IMO: after several antigay measures passed in 2004 I was stunned as I thought the USA was (generally speaking) better than that. I used to believe that bigoted Christians were the exception, not the rule, save in a few particularly backward areas. After the 2004 results, however, I changed my views as I realized those "exceptions" were actually the majority and I kicked myself for not having seen it before (I'd made the common mistake of assuming others were more or less like me, including in tolerance).

While I was still in shock I shared about it with some friends. One was a couple and they said they understood it and would vote for such a measure if here (which I'm sure they did with Prop 8) because they considered gays immoral and a menace to children. Since they knew I was a lesbian I asked what danger they thought I posed, and they said I was an exception, but most gays won't hesitate to molest children, and if they can marry then they can adopt and that means more children will be molested than ever before because most gays will adopt to molest. They also supported measures that kept gays away from children, such as being teachers or allowed to treat children.

I then told them that I'd been a runaway on the streets of Houston when I was 15 and I met many victims of sexual abuse and saw sexual abuse in the form of predation to prostitution. Plenty of victims had been boys as well as girls. However, the common factor of molesting children wasn't that the molesters were gay but that they were MEN (women involved in sexual abusing kids typically did so with a man or facilitated it with a man, like allowing a man to sexually abuse her children in exchange for drugs or even just to stay married to her). Of course not all men are molesters, and I dare say the vast majority are not, but this is also true of gays. So how would they feel if laws were passed barring men from being able to teach, treat, or even parent kids because of what a minority of them have done?

They wouldn't answer, they (one being a man, and he was the husband to the other) found my observation and question completely offensive. The woman asked me how dare I say something so sexist and I replied how dare she say something so homophobic and that was the end of our friendship, we never spoke again.

Honestly I'm a bit offended by a question like that. Morality dosen't have a d*mn thing to do with loving someone of the same sex!

Please direct her to my video...

It seems to me that gay people, having suffered what we have generally exhibit a lot of tolerance and compassion - the bad side of that coin is that we too often find ourselves talking to (insert bad reference to intelligence and class here) people that nobody else is. ? I know! I bet you do it too here and there and end up thinking "WTF am i talking to you for? Jesus! There's something wrong with me!"
I bet you are the only friend that girl has hmmmm?

I do not find the question offensive.

It makes for a few base line arguments to discuss, and opens the door to breaking down the barrier that bestiality or homosexuality are not just moral issues, there is far much more than morality, such as both partners being adults capable of giving knowledgeable consent in homosexuality, animals are not considered intelligent enough to give consent.

Of course I would have to know more about the conversation.

I would assume that since she is open and stubborn that she is couching the question to you to get your opinion on the matter, not as a matter of insult.

I have used a very similar question when seeking answers from others to get a broader understanding how people view the question.

After all it is one of those questions that are always thrown out by the anti-LGBT groups. How can we discuss the question and the answers if we take the question being asking by a tolerant person as being 'derogatory'/'offensive'?

Pix Wrote:I don't find it so much as offensive as stupid.

My thoughts exactly! Thumbgrin

Speaker, the logic of her question is flawed in that different species generally have sex with their own species, so that's what nature would dictate. We, as humans, also have the extra component of emotional ties, which some animal species may also have among themselves, but that is not quite so sure yet.

Ask her if many human beings, whatever their sex, would be tempted to / or would choose to have sex with an animal? Probably very few, and when it does happen, it's probably through lack of having another outlet (I don't know how true it is that goatherds and shepherds have sex with their flock, it sounds like a bit of a myth).

To me these are questions that are just off limits. An animal can't give you their consent to have sex with you, or not. Another human being, can.

She just technically directly compared us the a crime which is bestiality. I am now upset, walking away before i rage.

QueenOdi Wrote:...

I suppose there is a reason why we are named; Homo-SapienSSS. :tongue:

Strangely that phrase is made up of two Latin-rooted words Homo, meaning MAN (mankind) and Sapiens, which means "who knows, knowledgeable", therefore teachable and capable of learning.

Contrary to the word homosexual, which, if my memory is correct, is made up of two words from different language roots. The Homo part is from the Greek meaning SAME, and the SEXUAL is probably from the Latin root.
The equivalent Greek root for MAN is Andros, which becomes anthropo-s in modern scientific terms (viz. anthropology, or misanthropist for example)