Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun pet ideas? BESTIALITY PROHIBITED.
Hey everyone,

As some of you know, I've owned a golden retriever for awhile now. I've had a lot of success in training her all of the basics, house breaking, socializing her. She's naturally non-destructive so yay. So those areas aren't something I need help with at all. I also have all the vet things down... basically have all the essentials done already.... I don't neglect my pets Xyxthumbs

I was just wondering what people do with their dogs for fun? Both inside of the box and outside of the box ideas? I think I'm boring, she just goes on the daily walk, has toys to prevent destructiveness, and knows basic commands.

... So I've been thinking of some things to do with her. Things on list include visiting the new dog park, swimming, and teaching outdoor tricks. Currently there's about 5ft of snow outside...so yeah.....she hasn't seen grass yet.

But when that melts I want to have some things planned :biggrin: .

What other things do people do with their dogs for fun? Or... what would you do with your dog if you had a dog? Outside of the box ideas are especially welcome because of the fact that I won't think of them on my own.

NOTE: I cannot and flat out will not just leave her outside 24/7, as some people I know in person have told me to do. That's not what I got a dog for... besides, she'd get stolen instantly if I did that.

Thanks Smile.

At the moment I have a convalescing 16 year old Blue Cattle Dog. She is as tough as nail but is riddled with arthritis and has been robbed of her vision by a degenerative retinal disease.

Her pain is managed with expensive medication and I know she is comfortable because she sleeps like a log and her appetite is still ravenous.

So my favourite thing to do now and lay with her for a couple of hours each day just to let her know she is still loved.

My baby in happier days
[Image: 6830_177255004808_2563099_n.jpg]

Wooly, hi.

Being a retriever, it's a highly intellegent breed, and you going to have a heck of a lot of fun keeping it busy!

Note, it's collectively grouped as "working breed" and is happiest when doing just that.

But like all work, it is much more enjoyable when it's fun and tought in small steps.

Teach it hide & seek, start obvious, use a one word command each time, and reward with a tiny piece of dried meat, progress in "difficulty" slowly.

A good idea is to use a soft sponge ball, and get it all nice and scented with your smell by rolling it under your arm-pit ( no deoderant) when it's good & sweaty, or in you crotch.

Progress to off lead sit stay, and then you go hide and let the dog look for you..

Reward, reward, reward and lot's of petting and "love talk" and soon you won't be able to hide...

Taught the retrieve?

Get that under your belt, then use a tennis raquet and a soft ball and keep opening up the distance... great cardio for you both...

BTW, he best ever pillow? Just behind the ribs, especially when your dog rests it's head on your sholder....

Summertime, make a cart / doggie saddle bags. pack picnic goodies and go for long walks.

My Dobie (Doberman Pincher) used to carry a small grid, a few charka briquetts, some meat, and a few other bits and bobs and I used to go day hiking, have a braai (barbeque)? then come back home...

First doggie command
Love your doggie with all your heart... (there are only 9 more)Biglaugh

Have fun...

PS, I used to train Dobie's at the club years ago, beginner's & novice class.... OH! Thats just reminded me!

TINKLES!!!!!!

i kid you not! yip TINKLES!

Tinkles was the biggest damn Doberman I ever saw. More like a small horse..
Owned buy a dud who who could barely walk...

This dog took the guy from a thin, pastey white cripple barely out his wheel chair to a person who was able to walk, although with a very pronounced limp, reasonably well, put on weight, bulked up a good bit of muscle put on some colour, and after 4 classes where graduated up, finally, finally got his horse to walk at heel!

A wonderful tale.... I'll write it sometime and post..

Take care, I hope I've been of some help...
Duckkie

Get a wallaby. It'll make you fell like you are in Australia.

(I just read the title -.-)

Get a honeybadger.

I'd love a pet but my lifestyle precludes my owningt one. I am away from home sometimes weeks at a ttime and a pet needs company. I would not ask friends to look after a cat or a dog and I would most certainly not put on in a kennel or cattery.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Ah wow, i love Golden Retreivers, i didnt know you had one, there such beautiful dogs.

Take him to the beach, river… does she like the water?
What about applying her for a therapist dog for children with learning disabilitys or even very erderly people in homes, do you know what i mean? … most dogs would love this attention and if she’s a typical golden retreiver im sure she will too and the people that meet her.. animals make great therapists!

Thanks! The ideas so far are excellent.

Responding to them in no particular order...

Part is,
Next year during placement I'll be working in a care facility for the elderly, and it'll be perfect for possibly bringing the dog in if they allow it partis!

Trialbyerror,
I also like your ideas too trial by error. You reminded me that there's a natural reserve that I could bring my dog to this summer. I'll also see about games like nice and seek too, which I can start now.

Defiant,
Your dog is beautiful defiant. I love that even though she's getting old you are still taking care of her... This alone means you're a good person as far as I am concerned.

London,
And londener - at least you know a dog isn't for you right now. Dogs get very lonely... And I have heard bad stories about kennel services. If you ever get a dog, there are some kennels where the dogs are let out, played with, excersized. But that's all up to you...

To the pet suggestions... Thanks, but maybe read the thread too Wink.

THIS:
[Image: dogs%20playing%20chess.jpg]

I want a dog!!! :-(

well, all you need is a jar of peanut butter and you can have hours of fun with her:biggrin:...(especially if you spread some in one of those red rubber toys with a hole you can stuff treats with:biggrinSmile