Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay marriage declared legal across the US in historic supreme court ruling
artyboy Wrote:Guns next maybe?

You can forget that. hahahahaha! We're going to keep our guns.

The only decent gay bar in this state (6 hours away) has been doing a random thing on weekends to find out how many gays here have guns. They've been letting people with licenses to carry in for half price. The last time I got a newsletter from them they said 54% of their customers on one night were gun owners.

Legally owned guns aren't the problem in the US. Illegal guns are responsible for 96% of all gun deaths other than suicides and taking away guns won't stop people from killing themselves.

And if you go back and see what happened with gun deaths after the UK collected all put ONE registered gun that they couldn't find, you'll see that murders from illegal guns skyrocketed.

The cities in the US with the highest gun crimes all have banned legally owned guns.

The idea we're all a bunch of cowboys and red necks toting guns all the time is a myth. Here at my house there are three doors leading outside that I haven't locked in close to five years. It's just we're going to defend ourselves and our property in case someone threatens to take either. It's nice to live in a town where crime is so low we have to borrow a judge from another city when we need one.

Iceblink Wrote:For protections that are not covered by marriage, it depends on where you live. Protections for employment, housing, and accommodations are in place in Detroit, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Kalamazoo, Traverse City, Mount Pleasant, Royal Oak, Ferndale and several other cities.
Thanks for the info, looks like my job hunt just got more specific

Wow just lost about 50 people from my FB page for supporting the Same Sex marriage ruling in the US. So they where happy Im gay but as long as I didn't say anything about it.

artyboy Wrote:Wow just lost about 50 people from my FB page for supporting the Same Sex marriage ruling in the US. So they where happy Im gay but as long as I didn't say anything about it.

Good riddance, eh?

Miles Wrote:Good riddance, eh?

yeah and little scary too.

Don't worry about em [MENTION=18789]artyboy[/MENTION].

I do my best to stay away from Facebook and the people who make it a part of their lives. The best thing Jay and I ever did online was quit it and get away from the messy people who "live" there.

Virge Wrote:Don't worry about em [MENTION=18789]artyboy[/MENTION].

I do my best to stay away from Facebook and the people who make it a part of their lives. The best thing Jay and I ever did online was quit it and get away from the messy people who "live" there.

I only go on facebook these days to talk to other people that have my condition, but again I got attack by one of them guys, a redneck from Michigan. It all started off about how in this guys mind that it was wrong and people like that shouldn't be role models etc. But the muppet mouthed off at the group admin that is Bi curious funny enough so he got blocked.

Sad thing about it the Muslims that are part of the group were all happy about the Ruling in the US as they classed it as a civil rights issue and they like me hope it starts the ball rolling on other civil rights the US has issues with.

I think the US is on a good roll at the moment and hope they can show the world they are changing for the good and not being hypocrites when trying to get other countries with bad civil rights issues when in the US they don't have good ones themselves.

For once Good on you USA!!!

[QUOTE=artyboy;570273 It all started off about how in this guys mind that it was wrong and people like that shouldn't be role models etc. [/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^^^
THAT bugs me Artyboy. One of the hardest hitting lessons of my life came after I told my grand dad I didn't want to be anyone's role model when I was 17.

He told me we don't get that choice in life. We can only choose to be good role models or bad ones.

Then he said if I wanted to be a bad role model to tell him right then so he could go him and get drunk and forget having wasted being a good one for me for 17 years....

I'm betting that guy who jumped you is a real shitty one.... I'd like to give him a "pep talk"

Virge Wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^
THAT bugs me Artyboy. One of the hardest hitting lessons of my life came after I told my grand dad I didn't want to be anyone's role model when I was 17.

He told me we don't get that choice in life. We can only choose to be good role models or bad ones.

Then he said if I wanted to be a bad role model to tell him right then so he could go him and get drunk and forget having wasted being a good one for me for 17 years....

I'm betting that guy who jumped you is a real shitty one.... I'd like to give him a "pep talk"

I think people like him is what is wrong with the USA, something changed the USA after WW2, money and power I think. Well one of your best leaders died too. There was a fresh feeling about the USA back in the day.

I think we all felt a little of the magic together and Civil Rights Act of 1968. Shows the US can do it.

Just bigots and ignorance is the problem

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Read more at

You've hit on a subject that makes me glad I've got a brainiac older brother whose a history professor... Here's some things I've learned from him......

Nothing changed here after WW2... You have to remember who the people in the US are. The ships coming to America weren't full of Europe's elite and most enlightened.

13% of us came here as slaves brought here mostly by Spanish, Portuguese and British ships who had virtually no slaves in their own nations.
at least 10% came here as impoverished indentured servants. (white slaves)
another 10% came here are prisoners (unpaid labor - even more true with Australia)
and nearly all the rest came here to get away from the crazy religions in Europe and wars in order to practice their own crazy religions or to escape famines, purges and extermination programs.

With what Europe gave the US to work with what we've accomplished is more amazing than most Europeans want to give credit for. You guys were playing with steel for nearly 2,000 years and never thought of making a plough out of it. (I bring that up because I bought a bizarre old ploughshare for $10 at a flea market in April took it to an antiques appraiser who researched it. It's one of the first model John Deere sold in 1838. They're trying to figure out how much it's worth... at least 6 figures.)

Religious Freedom wasn't what the first people came here to establish. Massachusetts Puritans used to prosecute and hang Rhode Island Quakers when they crossed the colonial borders.

It's so funny when I hear people from France, Germany or the UK belittling the US for the treatment of the Native Americans once "we" arrived... Had Rome not done the same thing to all three + other nations in Europe you'd all still be worshipping trees and rocks and sacrificing virgins under the winter solstice. <(made yup example but you get the point)

I'm not trying to argue anything just put things in context when you start talking about history. With what Europe

All I have to say about bigotry is the same thing I say about every other word invented to create an us versus them good/bad dichotomy ... I do my best not to use them in reference to other people no matter what they say or do. (homophobe, Islamophobe, racist, antisemite, blah blah blah blah blah) I don't want to label anyone until I've met them and I'm not going to label people I haven't met.