Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gays and their mental health (older gays)
A link to this question and these findings... nothing surprising but worth knowing.
http://www.queerty.com/study-sexual-mino...-20120120/

princealbertofb Wrote:A link to this question and these findings... nothing surprising but worth knowing.
http://www.queerty.com/study-sexual-mino...-20120120/

Older gays, 44-75 years old.

Fantastic. Just four months until I hit that threshold. And the hits just keep on coming!

:tongue:

I can attest to the part about losing people to AIDS having an effect. Surprisingly to me...the collective advice you guys here gave me actually made a difference for me after having been stuck for years. I came to terms with the fact that I am never going to really get over it but since I asked for help...I find I am actually living with the loss...I even got my 21st birthday picture with my friends blown up and framed and I can actually smile looking at it...there are 23 of us in the one photo and they are all dead except for me. I don;'t even feel guilty for having survived much anymore =and that is an amazing freedom. Does that effect my mental health? Of course it does. You dont' need a study to tell you that. It would affect anyone;'s mental health and if it didn't you most likely have even worse problems.

Other than that...I feel lucky to be gay and it brings me great comfort. If it was a choice I would choose it. I don't find alot of solace in or need for "approval" from people who I dont' know or dont' respect so the drama crap of being gay and the hand wringing just never arrived at my doorstep.

I have been happily partnered for 25 years to a man I love unconditionally so maybe that has something to do with it but I have the same outlook basically even before I met him so who knows?

I am a older gay ? cool ... now I can be grumpy :biggrin:

Ive been with my partner 13 years now, he is 12 years younger than me,,,I love him more now than ever,,,,that comes with time.
We are legally partnered now which I find immensely empowering and comforting.
I do often wonder if older gays find it stressful being on their own without a permanant partner to share their everyday lives with, or boring/lonely.
There must come a time in life when the partying and sexual buzz dies off and we arent able to attract the guys the way we did when younger.

wonder how my life could have been different? The good and bad just if it went a different path.

at some age it might be important to setup a low stress and or monogamous gay family structure.

LateBloomer Wrote:Older gays, 44-75 years old.

Fantastic. Just four months until I hit that threshold. And the hits just keep on coming!

:tongue:

You'll be OK LateBloomer. Just find some nice friends, some nice activities and a good partner / boyfriend to share life's million little things with. You'll be OK. Bighug

fenris Wrote:I am a older gay ? cool ... now I can be grumpy :biggrin:

hahaha, that's the privilege of all older people, not just gays... Here's a hug for you, Grumpy... (watch Snow White again? We did. :biggrinSmile
BighugBighugBighug

pellaz Wrote:wonder how my life could have been different? The good and bad just if it went a different path.

at some age it might be important to setup a low stress and or monogamous gay family structure.

I believe it's really about having a support structure. It may not have to be a partnership or a companion... just very good friends to share with?
BighugBighugBighug

princealbertofb Wrote:You'll be OK LateBloomer. Just find some nice friends, some nice activities and a good partner / boyfriend to share life's million little things with. You'll be OK. Bighug

Thanks. You're a prince.

Wink

Definitely working on ALL of that now. Wish me luck.