Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Health Question about the Flu
I have no idea where to put this, its not sexual health...

This flu season I hear is pretty wicked, I'm on round two in a months time. Feeling pretty shitty if you know what I mean....

Yeah I know high fever should be tended by doctor, but what other symptoms screams 'its time to visit the Emergency Room or you will end up yet one more flu death this year!'?

I'm hoping one of you people who have real medical training to a degree instead of utilizing Web MD can give me a fair idea here.

BTW According to Web MD I have cancer... Rolleyes

Flu death O.o
I think only old people and already sickly people can die from the flu?
The best thing is bed rest and Lucozade u.u
YUM Lucozade!

I take it you gots yourself one of them medical degrees.... Huh?

Doesn't kill the young and healthy does it:

Why Is This Year’s Flu So Dangerous for Young Adults?

Three young adults die from flu in Oakland County

Healthy Texas Mom Dies of Flu at 29, Leaves Three Kids

3 more die of H1N1 flu in Michigan, with a dozen others on life support

Soooooo........ Next person...

If this flu is like the swine flu of 2009 then it becomes exceedingly dangerous when vomiting and diarrhea are almost constant as it causes dangerous dehydration.

My experience is from having taken care of someone this sick back in 2009, and her kids had it first and that's what her doctor told her. She refused to go to the doctor herself over insurance problems and because she figured they couldn't do anything for her anyway other than publicly humiliate her by forcing her to endure explosive diarrhea while waiting several hours in the waiting room and give her a big fat bill for doing nothing else but tell her drink lots of liquids. She got so bad that I think she came close to death, she was almost completely unresponsive and delirious when I first showed up (and she'd lost over 20 pounds by the time it was over, I think all of that water!), but once I started keeping her hydrated she stabilized...sick as hell but responsive and not utterly delirious.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:I take it you gots yourself one of them medical degrees.... Huh?

Meh all I can say about this is...
MURCA!

Pix Wrote:If this flu is like the swine flu of 2009 then it becomes exceedingly dangerous when vomiting and diarrhea are almost constant as it causes dangerous dehydration.

My experience is from having taken care of someone this sick back in 2009, and her kids had it first and that's what her doctor told her. She refused to go to the doctor herself over insurance problems and because she figured they couldn't do anything for her anyway other than publicly humiliate her by forcing her to endure explosive diarrhea while waiting several hours in the waiting room and give her a big fat bill for doing nothing else but tell her drink lots of liquids. She got so bad that I think she came close to death, she was almost completely unresponsive and delirious when I first showed up (and she'd lost over 20 pounds by the time it was over, I think all of that water!), but once I started keeping her hydrated she stabilized...sick as hell but responsive and not utterly delirious.

I got swine flew -.-
I pooped

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:I take it you gots yourself one of them medical degrees.... Huh?

I don't know if it's too late but if you have special conditions, fragile health or whatever, you should think about getting vaccinated.

Never joke with health, if you have any doubts, go and see a doctor.

Erkwarph,

Yeah go and see a doctor. I'm still waiting for the Obama Care thingy to pan out in this direction. Currently I am not insured, thus any and all doctor's visits are completely out of pocket, and start at $50.00 to walk into the waiting room then they start seriously charging an arm and a leg or three.

Pix, I have been managing to keep fluids in me... ummm but I have lost a few pounds this past month... As you may know I have been on the lower end of
'normal' body weight for a while now, now I'm a wee bit under. I hit 144# sometime the past two weeks. Don't tell anyone but I think I will dip below 140 by the time this flu ends.

I have all sorts of OTC remedies for the outhouse trots, plus sea-sickness pills which seem to work a lot - perhaps not perfectly as a prescription strength drug would.

Solids are a big no-no right now, which is fine, I don't like eating solid food as it is... Even toast has a tendency to rebound, and run screaming from me - much like potential mates do. :biggrin:

In the past 24 hours I would say I have slept 18 hours, previous to that I slept 20 hours. So its not like I'm clinging to the porcelain god. I know I am a touch dehydrated and I suspect my electrolytes are off a bit. I'm doing pedialyte for adults. And I am drinking insure food supplements which if I drink about a 1/4 of that and wait about an hour and drink another 1/4 it stays down. If I drink the whole thing at once I have to make an emergency evacuation of the stomach.

Like your friend, I don't want to spend 8 hours in waiting room to be told to drink plenty of liquids and be handed a script for basically what I'm already taking.

On the bright side, I have only smoked three cigarettes in the past 4 days...

Vaccination at this point is irrelevant, you already have the pathogen, vaccination is preventive, not a cure.

(yes I do not own a medical degree, damn it, and I'll be damn if anyone else calls biochemists frustrated doctors..not everyone want's to be a doctor damn it...rant over)

If I know you correctly a trip to the doctor seems not affordable

I have already told you, you are immuno-depressed.

so here is what you're going to do.

1) rest

2) drink a heck of a lot of water

3) EAT, if you don't feel hungry, fuck it, eat 3 times a day, normal portions

4) do not fear fever, as long as it recedes and doesn't go up to 40°C or something

fever is the main indication that the immnune system is at full speed.

if you have pumpkins around still, pumpkin leaves can be somewhat good in helping with fever.

oregano, thyme, mint, eucalyptus..

keep yourself at an adequate temperature, albeit difficult as it maybe living in a Spaniard like infrastructure

if the symptoms get worse, you will need to go to the hospital

I've had some medical training and I can tell you - if you feel like you need a doctor or even Emergency Room, you do need one. Do not doubt what your body tells you.