Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting into the gay scene?
Hey guys, I have a question. I am recently out at 23, and prior to this I lived a very "straight" life...fraternity guy, masculine acting, etc. I did it mostly to put on a front to hide the fact that I'm gay. Now that I'm out I really want to be myself and explore the gay scene...I know a lot of gay guys seem to want to act more masculine, but I want to become more stereotypical, if that makes sense. That way of dressing, acting, etc. is appealing to me and I want to get into the gay scene (I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, if that helps).

Anybody have suggestions for the best way to do this? All my friends are straight so I'm not really sure how to get into this lifestyle...

You are in luck if you want to come out in the SF Bay Area...just go to Castro Street in San Francisco and hang out and then let things unfold as they will.

East is right. But...just saying, but be who your heart tells you to be. Don't try and get yourself into the stereotype if you find that you don't like it. I know that you had this on your mind probably, but I had to say it.
Oh, and, read erotic gay stories. They help a lot. :d

Here's my 2 cents:

the gay scene today is very diverse and is split into a lot of sub demographics. I think you will find yourself a lot more popular if you just be yourself. However, if by in the scene you mean you want to spiff up your image, dress a little differently etc. Then go to town.

I would ease into the Castro maybe first couple of times with your straight friends or gay acquaintences and go hang out, party, and check it out. Try to make friends with people who have similar interests. Once you've made some good gay friends that like to do the same things you do you will be on your way!!

Jfierce,
Yeah, I know to be myself. It's more like there were aspects of my personality that I hid when I was closeted that I think would be much more accepted in the gay community. So in a way I think it would be liberating. Also I would like to change my style up a bit, always admired guys with a fantastic sense of style and hair, tired of wearing gym shorts and fraternity t-shirts all the time hah.

coming out as gay isn't about changing your personality/attitude. it's just your sexual preference made known... but it's still you.. for sure, you'll act more natural but it's still gonna be you... no pretentions...right?

OIC

It makes sense to me to let your hidden personality come out!! You are so very fortunate to be gay and living in the bay area. Let it all come out, spiff up your style and clothes and just have a great time!!! Life is so short so I say live it up to your fullest potential starting right now.

don't push yourself to go camp though if you aren't one.....