Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting lazy
MisterTinkles Wrote:I can't really think of anything that has not been mentioned already, except for bike riding or skateboarding. Are there any bike/skateboard parks near you? Maybe you can get out and do that when you don't feel like walking?

I love riding a bike, but its extremely unsafe where I live, so it is rare that I get out and do that.
The only bike paths I know of are on the other side of the city, and I think its ludicrous to put my bike in my truck and DRIVE to a freeking park in order to ride my bike!!!

Yeah, biking is tough here too. I have one, but it's not exactly safe. I still try to replace my driving with bike riding when the weather is really nice and steady all day, but that's rare. And I also live on the other side of the city from all the nice trails (not that the other side has many in the first place).

MisterTinkles Wrote:As far as jobs go..........are you scared of heights? Does being knocked around by the wind frighten you? If not, you might think of becoming a window washer. I hear they make good money. You are outside and in motion most of the day.

I was afraid of heights when I was younger, but I eventually pushed myself out of it. It was freaky as hell to do that though. I don't know how I did it.

Anyways, I have had jobs involving heights before. When working on a KC-135, you have to be alright with heights in order to fix up the tail section. That's one really tall tail.

Unfortunately having a job is a bit out of the picture for me. I am fortunate enough to be on 70% disability from the military, so I get paid enough to get by. I won't complain about that part at all, but it does stop me from being more active in society by getting a job. I also have college to deal with, and no one here wants to hire part time anyway.

MisterTinkles Wrote:Hmmm........Albuqueerque..........do you have access to a dune buggy? Or maybe rent one? I know theres lots of sand and open ground around there.

Oh I wish, but I don't get paid quite that well. I used to be really into off-road activities when I had my old Jeep, but I don't have that stuff anymore. I would totally get back into it if I had the funds. Maybe someday, but that day is not today.

Aaaanyways, thanks for the suggestions so far. Motivation in definitely the biggest issue with me, and I will work on that part. I need to find some goal to work towards, but so far I've got nothing. It just has to be something I really want, or I probably won't do it.

I feel the same about gyms and to me if you get fit it should and can be something you enjoy, that way you dont even notice your getting fit!

Soccer (lol i mean football) is good, if you cant get a team you could maybe find others to have a kickabout with and 5 a side or something ?

Swimming... Yeah I know its kinda early to talk about that.... However swimming is a low impact sport and affects both upper and lower body.

YMCA's used to have indoor pools and interesting steam rooms..... and showers... Forget YMCA bad place to go....

Biking is low impact, though it works the leg muscles more than anything else.

Horseback riding also tones the whole body. Yes I know there is a saddle, but you grip the beast between your legs with your legs, and then moving with the horse leads to a upper body workout.

Sex... Of course you would need to do lots of sex, but sex is an all body workout - burns calories and if memory serves it can be fun occasionally.....:tongue:

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Biking is low impact, though it works the leg muscles more than anything else.

Horseback riding also tones the whole body. Yes I know there is a saddle, but you grip the beast between your legs with your legs, and then moving with the horse leads to a upper body workout.

Sex... Of course you would need to do lots of sex, but sex is an all body workout - burns calories and if memory serves it can be fun occasionally.....:tongue:

WHAT is this obsession with you needing something between your legs??????
Evilgrin1Evilgrin1Multijump

VileKyle Wrote:Yeah, biking is tough here too. I have one, but it's not exactly safe. I still try to replace my driving with bike riding when the weather is really nice and steady all day, but that's rare. And I also live on the other side of the city from all the nice trails (not that the other side has many in the first place).

I was afraid of heights when I was younger, but I eventually pushed myself out of it. It was freaky as hell to do that though. I don't know how I did it.

Anyways, I have had jobs involving heights before. When working on a KC-135, you have to be alright with heights in order to fix up the tail section. That's one really tall tail.

Unfortunately having a job is a bit out of the picture for me. I am fortunate enough to be on 70% disability from the military, so I get paid enough to get by. I won't complain about that part at all, but it does stop me from being more active in society by getting a job. I also have college to deal with, and no one here wants to hire part time anyway.

Oh I wish, but I don't get paid quite that well. I used to be really into off-road activities when I had my old Jeep, but I don't have that stuff anymore. I would totally get back into it if I had the funds. Maybe someday, but that day is not today.

Aaaanyways, thanks for the suggestions so far. Motivation in definitely the biggest issue with me, and I will work on that part. I need to find some goal to work towards, but so far I've got nothing. It just has to be something I really want, or I probably won't do it.

Gawd awmighty boi !!!!
You're 27 freeking years young!!!! And you make it sound like you're 95!!!!

Cheezus Crackuhz!!!!!

Wish I would have found GS before my two trips to California.....I drive right through Albuqueerque! I could have stopped by and smacked you around!!! Geez.

What about hiking? There are plenty of hills and small mountains around there. Surely there are some hiking trails? You are outside, doing something, that is not too strenuous. And you can have your pooch with you.

Aside from that, how about hobbies? Painting? Sculpting? Music? Ceramics? Sewing? Wood working (shut up BA!Rofl)?

Do you have a house? How about shadetree mechanics? Helping people diagnose problems with their vehicles who cant afford mechanic prices?

There's got to be something you can do at home to keep your mind off things, and keep you busy around there.

Maybe volunteering someplace? Or becoming a Big Brother to some needy kid?

Although life is challenging sometimes, how we live or what we do with our lives is up to us.
Think about what you like and go for it. It is in your own hands.
While sympathy is nice sometimes it really doesn't help us to take the next step.

If we cannot control what we do it might be time to see a professional?

MisterTinkles Wrote:Gawd awmighty boi !!!!
You're 27 freeking years young!!!! And you make it sound like you're 95!!!!

Cheezus Crackuhz!!!!!

I resent that! I only feel like I'm 70 half the time. It's not like I have one foot in the grave!

MisterTinkles Wrote:What about hiking? There are plenty of hills and small mountains around there. Surely there are some hiking trails? You are outside, doing something, that is not too strenuous. And you can have your pooch with you.

This. I need to do more of this. Yes, there is the weather problem still, but I frikkin love hiking. It's best if I have a friend around who would go hiking with me, since my old hiking buddy moved away... although I think I might have one replacement. We'll see.

This though?

MisterTinkles Wrote:Maybe volunteering someplace? Or becoming a Big Brother to some needy kid?

I already have one little brother. I don't need another. Fuck that shit. Uzi

VileKyle Wrote:This. I need to do more of this. Yes, there is the weather problem still, but I frikkin love hiking. It's best if I have a friend around who would go hiking with me, since my old hiking buddy moved away... although I think I might have one replacement. We'll see.

If I lived close by, I would hike with you. I hate active "sports", but I like a nice day hike sometimes.

Well, if all else fails.........just put on your Sunday best and go have a party in the street!!!

How active do you want to be?

If you want moderate activity, which will make you just healthy and meeting the requirements for activity, ditch bussing and cars and walk everywhere. Also, walk your dog more, twice a day, or walk once a day and play with it often.

If you want heavy excersize, you can be involved in a sport or activity for excersize. If you hate getting all sweaty, a clever solution is going to a local pool and doing laps. I don't like sports because I'm anxious that I'll let the people I'm playing with down, so independent things like swimming/running are what I would prefer, and why I suggest it. You can also combine harder excersize with learning something like martial arts/boxing/kickboxing, etc., if you manage to find an instructor that is more about the art, and less about the gimmicks.

I don't think heavy excersize is required to be healthy, but some people need it as an outlet, or they just enjoy it.

Because of the social anxiety and lack of motivation, why not start with being more active with your dog, and walking everywhere (if possible?). You can also build yourself an excerize routine at home (example, 100 situps/pushups every morning). You won't have to associate with many other people, and it'll be a step towards being healthy.

You might consider another approach. Since there are mental and physical concerns maybe a serious course in Yoga with work toward advanced meditation guidance. This will hit all issues with a serious "fix it" stick! Sometimes learning how to let go intentionally can be the most effective route to "getting on with it." Been there, done that. Best wishes!
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart