Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to the gym
So I started going back to the gym with a buddy of mine. He is into body building and stuff. So I tell him I just want to lose some weight and be toned a little. to be honest I don't think he listens that well. He tells me to do this push, pull, leg, workout. In my opinion, I don't think they are for losing weight but for gaining muscles. Its like he tells me to do the workouts that will work for him. I'm really dumb when it comes to working out and I usually end up pulling something (not his penis). So maybe i'll do his workout for awhile and see how that works out. This is kind of off subject but I can't really take working out seriously with my friend. Every time he is doing curls and stuff, he grunts so loud its so funny and I'm trying not to laugh.

Actually when you gain muscle it does help lose weight because muscle will burn fat even while you sleep.

What East says is true.

But if you want to remain lean without bulk, your workout should also focus more on cardio than weights.

Try zumba or thai bo classes. I loved those.

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:What East says is true.

But if you want to remain lean without bulk, your workout should also focus more on cardio than weights.

Exactly.

Simple stuff like bike and treadmill. Elliptical trainer and stair climber. Most gyms have a trainer on staff who can give you a few pointers.

Lauj --FIRST of all, He's grunting out loud while he's lifting, I don't know if I would be able to hold in the laughter.
O.K.-- If you want bulk, you lift heavy weight with a low count. Benching, curls, overhead,--3 Reps of an 8 or 10 count.

If you want definition (Tone, slim, swimmersbody look) USE a Much lighter weight with a higher count. Same amount of Reps, Example-- Now your doing the exercise with 3 reps of a 20 or 25 count.

I like to keep it in the middle. I'll monitor my body and work out accordingly.
(This keeps the guys salivating)Kissa

Cardio is really good also, it's more of a heart health, (which is good)
However, as for muscle tone, swimming is one of the best. martial arts, like aerobics, and some of that stuff on tv there doing now a days. (it's all good)

Actually, losing weight by lifting and other exercises that increase strength is an excellent idea! In fact, I'd say your body will look a lot better losing some weight with that method, than it would if you use cardio.

In the end, you need to find the type of work-out that fits you. If you'd rather use a treadmill or a bicycle, then you should. But the method of your friend will in fact cause weightloss, and if you stick to a 500/per day calorie deficit and get enough of protein, I think you'll like the results of his method a lot better than you might imagine!

Yours sincerely,

Someone who once wasted like 6 months doing obsessive amounts of cardio when he should have been lifting.

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
It'll be a waste of words for me to try to add to advice given by East, Twist, Adam & HumTanger. They said all you need to know.

Cardio also good for reducing blood sugar if that's an issue (am type 2 diabetic). The best id probably a combination of the two although I confess that the few times I've tried weights I become bored very quickly

thanks you guys, next I just need to eat more healthier.