Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodbye, Dakota
Earlier this evening, Darin and I had to have our oldest dog, Dakota, put down. She was 18 years old, and suffering with debilitating arthritis, and aggressive cancer. In her final weeks, she lost the ability to walk, and the tumors, which were surrounding her windpipe, began constricting her breathing.

We sat on the floor with her, and held her as the vet installed the catheter and administered Propafol, followed by pentabarbital. She went quickly, and painlessly while we cried.

Euthanizing a beloved animal is the hardest part of having pets; Especially one who has given so many years of joy and companionship. It is, however, a burden that cannot be ignored. When the animal is suffering and in pain, we have to put that ahead of our own grief and do what needs to be done.

I hope each one of you has the opportunity to raise and love a pet. The grief and anguish that comes at the end pales in comparison with the years of happiness and love the animal brings.

Goodbye, Dakota. We love you.

sorry to hear about your dog man. I hope you guys can heal.

my cat recently died of a heart attack. she was 8 years old.

The pic was an awesome share dude. She was beautiful and she clearly made you two beautiful as well.Xyxthumbs
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

ivorybenz Wrote:...my cat recently died of a heart attack. she was 8 years old.

That's young for a cat to have a heart attack. Sorry to hear this news. Sad
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

CCRox Wrote:The pic was an awesome share dude. She was beautiful and she clearly made you two beautiful as well.Xyxthumbs
Thank you for your kind words, CC. Smile

ivorybenz Wrote:sorry to hear about your dog man. I hope you guys can heal. my cat recently died of a heart attack. she was 8 years old.
Thanks for the support! And I'm also sorry to hear about your kitty. 8 is young for a cat, and it's a shame she went when she did. I'm sure she was grateful for the life you gave her.

Goodness she was so gorgeous and you can clearly see in the pic how much she loved her family in her expression, I'm so sorry to hear of her parting but she's not hurting anymore, I send you and your partner a big hug from here.

swalter Wrote:Thanks for the support! And I'm also sorry to hear about your kitty. 8 is young for a cat, and it's a shame she went when she did. I'm sure she was grateful for the life you gave her.

no problem and thanks for supporting me and she was really happy.

Ryocchi Wrote:Goodness she was so gorgeous and you can clearly see in the pic how much she loved her family in her expression, I'm so sorry to hear of her parting but she's not hurting anymore, I send you and your partner a big hug from here.
Your sympathies are much appreciated, Ryocchi! She was absolutely adored, and she gave it right back to us! Dakota was a happy dog who loved her daddies. I'm grateful for every moment we had with her Smile

Aww sorry to hear about your dog Sad. She looked very cute and I'm sure she was a lovely addition to your family. Putting a pet down is always tough -- we had to put our cat down several years back. It sucks, but as you said in your main post sometimes it has to be done. Wish you guys the best! RIP Dakota.