Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green lasers
I find it rather worrying. Looking at the scenes from Tahir Square in Cairo, I seen green lasers being flashed aroud all over the place. To produce such a beam they must be considerably stronger than the small pointers that it is possible to buy in the UK and of a power that would make them illegal in the EU. I wonder if people realise that serious damage to the eyes can result if one is pointed directly at you? It's not advisable to visit Egypt right at the moment in time.

LONDONER Wrote:I fing it rather worrying. Looking at the scenes from Tahir Square in Cairo, I seen gree lasers being flashed aroud all over the place. To produce such a beam they must be considerably stronger than the small pointers that it is possible to buy in the UK and of a power that would make them illegal in the EU. I wonder if people realise that serious damage to the eyes can result if one is pointed directly at you? It's not advisable to visit Egypt right at the moment in time.

Theres a difference between lasers and directional light.
Directional light can look like lasers, but it doesnt blind you for more than a second if you look into it.

Don't point it in your eye then, if you do lost your eye sight simples.

health and safety keeps stupid people alive!

MisterTinkles Wrote:Theres a difference between lasers and directional light.
Directional light can look like lasers, but it doesnt blind you for more than a second if you look into it.

But those they are using in Egypt are obviously not directional lights.

You do know why they were using them at first?

artyboy Wrote:You do know why they were using them at first?

Part of their celebrations

LONDONER Wrote:But those they are using in Egypt are obviously not directional lights.

Well, then if they are lasers, they arent supposed to be pointed downward at all.
But it depends on what power the magnifying filter is set too, or that they are using.

Some of them may look bright because of the curved lenses focusing the beam of light, but some of them arent any stronger than a good flashlight.

But if they are using high intensity ones, thats a no no.

LONDONER Wrote:Part of their celebrations

Nearlly right.

They were used to blind government snipers, well thats what the bbc says lol!!

MisterTinkles Wrote:Well, then if they are lasers, they arent supposed to be pointed downward at all.
But it depends on what power the magnifying filter is set too, or that they are using.

Some of them may look bright because of the curved lenses focusing the beam of light, but some of them arent any stronger than a good flashlight.

But if they are using high intensity ones, thats a no no.

There was a recent programme on the BBC about illegal lasers being imported from China. I don't think that Egypt has such strict rules on health and safety as in the EU so I stongly suspect that those they are using in Tahir Square have not passed any safety test and are therefore dangerous.

LONDONER Wrote:There was a recent programme on the BBC about illegal lasers being imported from China. I don't think that Egypt has such strict rules on health and safety as in the EU so I stongly suspect that those they are using in Tahir Square have not passed any safety test and are therefore dangerous.

Good lol!

H&S is over rated.