Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holiday Foods
[SIZE="4"]Ok, all sorts of holidays going on around the world. Here in the USA, we have Thanksgiving in November and then Christmas in December.

What are some of your favorite holiday dishes??
Maybe something grandma or mother only make once a year???

If you have a picture and the recipe, that would be wonderful!!!![/SIZE]

My favorite dinner is the classic Turkey Dinner:
Roast turkey
Stuffing
Veggies
Cranberry Jelly
and gravy!!!
[Image: Thanksgiving+dinner+plate.jpg]

When I was younger and we had Thanksgiving at my grannys house, she would make almost every pie known to mankind, as nobody in my family liked the same pie as anybody else....so she always tried to make all of them.
My favorite pies are Pumpkin, Sweet Potato, Buttermilk, and Cream Cheese Pie.
[Image: BSPPumpkinPieAudrey_M_Vasey.jpg][Image: sweet-potato-pie-with-marshmallow-meringue-940x600.jpg]
[Image: slice.JPG][Image: cherry-cheese-pie-6.jpg]

Never had any of them, really interested to try pumpkin pie though. The last one also looks like cheesecake and I'm assuming from the name is kinda similar.

edit:

Our Christmas foods in Australia for family functions were kinda simple and standard.

at least 10kg of Prawns (cooked, on ice) maybe some crab as well.
lots of BBQ food like sausages, roasts etc.
Cold hams
LOTS of beer and wine with those flowers in them that turn them pink.
yeah... Straya

[Image: iStock_king%20prawn%20cooked.jpg]

[Image: Pavlova_Image.jpg]

Pavlova!!!

It's my favourite christmas food.

This is what's great about christmas in summer, the food doesn't make you too bloated, instead everything tends to be light, except for like ham and stuff which still we eat cold.

SUMMER BERRIES. I'm going blueberry picking again.

We don't celebrate Thanks Giving really, but just eat a turkey and its generally anytime in November, depends on when the family wants to link up.

We Celebrate Christmas and Kwanzaa and while I don't celebrate Kwanzaa per se, we used to and we just generally eat typical West Indian/Caribbean/African(I'm not sure if South Africa is the same as the rest) food, like Curry Chicken and Rice, Some eat Cowfoot, Our Paw Paw.

We don't really have a unique dish for Christmas, although, my family tends to do mostly fruit/fish dishes, similar to Cod Fish and Potatoes.

I'm not sure what the reason is, but we only have special dishes for our holidays, rarely for international ones.

And as every Bermy bie goes, none of the above can come without a swathe of Dark N Stormy or a Rum Swizzle Enuh -.- which are Bermy nationale Drinks :/

[Image: 5906465376_c2943ccdfc_o.jpg]
[Image: home_rum_swizzle.png]
[Image: dark_and_stormy.jpg]

So I guess that's what we'd have for Dinner lol. Although that could be for any night >•> . and no I don't drink, I just know about our shit :p

Oh shingas I forgot! We also have Shepard's Pie around holidee times, which is just basically Potatoes, Hamburger and Cheese and other stuff is optional.
[Image: THIS%20IS%20MY%20KITCHEN%2011%20SHEPHERDS%20PIE.jpeg]

Its actually pretty good, just drip some onions pon de food and your set lol.

Sylph Wrote:Oh shingas I forgot! We also have Shepard's Pie around holidee times, which is just basically Potatoes, Hamburger and Cheese and other stuff is optional.
[Image: THIS%20IS%20MY%20KITCHEN%2011%20SHEPHERDS%20PIE.jpeg]

Its actually pretty good, just drip some onions pon de food and your set lol.

Gee wiz, now I heard it all, hamburger in Shepard's pie

Cottage pie - minced beef

Shepard's pie - minced lamb

A shepard doesnt tend to his flock of cows darling!

Xxx.... :p

partis Wrote:Gee wiz, now I heard it all, hamburger in Shepard's pie

Cottage pie - minced beef

Shepard's pie - minced lamb

A shepard doesnt tend to his flock of cows darling!

Xxx.... :p

Lol hunni. Well I suppose its our own adaptation of it, seeing as how we don't have lamb, sheep and the like on a Tropical Island partis dear Wink

The farms(we have like 1-2 "real" farms) that do, do not raise them for consumption, so sorry to deviate love ;3

Or is it Blud/Blood as the Brits say :p

I wouldn't mind actually making and trying the good old USA Pumpkin Pie.

Here in the UK, the trend for years was to use pumpkins only at Hallow-e'en as lanterns, scooping out the insides and THROWING IT AWAY!

I hate waste, specially food waste and even make Bitch-Cat finish what's in her bowl before she gets any more from the cat food fairy.

We've started finding and making recipes with Pumpkins in the last several years or so but its slow to catch on and we seem to need 10 minute cookery slots on magazine programmes to educate us.

So, Pumpkin is my choice.

Sylph Wrote:Lol hunni. Well I suppose its our own adaptation of it, seeing as how we don't have lamb, sheep and the like on a Tropical Island partis dear Wink

The farms(we have like 1-2 "real" farms) that do, do not raise them for consumption, so sorry to deviate love ;3

Or is it Blud/Blood as the Brits say :p

Well i hate lamb (though I like sheep) so I'd probably prefer you guys shephards pie and seeing all those sheep running free

Yeah some people say blood in inner city, if i tried id get capped or something... :p

Its not really a thing around ’ere.

My pumpkin pie never comes out that warm brown colour, nor orange, but more a yellowy brown colour.
I'm guessing it's the pumpkins around here...

Buttermilk pie looks nice.