Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holiday Foods
Genersis Wrote:My pumpkin pie never comes out that warm brown colour, nor orange, but more a yellowy brown colour.
I'm guessing it's the pumpkins around here...

Buttermilk pie looks nice.

It all depends on what kind of pumpkins you use, and if you make fresh pie from scratch or use the canned pumpkin.

Here in the "states", you clean out your pumpkin, keeping the seeds (wash them off and spread them out on a large towel to dry out). Then you cut the pumpkin into large chunks, peel the outter layer, and then put the rest in a baking dish with a bit of butter on them (enough to keep from burning or sticking to dish), cover them, and then bake them for about 30 minutes on about 350 degrees. Once they are cooled down, you can put them in a blender, food processor, or just mash them up by hand, pack it in air tight freezing containers and have it for whenever you need it.

Or you can buy it in the can. Just be careful you know what you are getting in the can, as there is "canned pumpkin" and "pumpkin pie filling" in a can.

REAL pumpkin pie from scratch does not turn out that orange color, unless you put a bit of coloring in it.

You can roast the seeds and eat them or dont roast them and use them to plant next year.

MisterTinkles Wrote:...
REAL pumpkin pie from scratch does not turn out that orange color, unless you put a bit of coloring in it.

Ah, yeah I always make it from the pumpkin, that'd explain it.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Thought I was doing something horribly wrong.
Whew

Winter squash (Acorn, hubbard, Butternut, Pumpkin).

Wash (don't peel) Slice in half, clean out the seeds and the stringy bits. Reserve seeds for planting next year and some for roasting. (well that is what I do).

Place halves of squash in a deep baking dish - like a rectangular cake pan, add about an inch of water. Cover tightly with foil, bake at 350 for - oh about an hour, maybe more - until a fork easily tears the meat of your squash.

Remove from oven, uncover, add butter, a touch of maple syrup, or some raisins - something - return to oven, crank that puppy up to 450F and wait 20-30 minutes to brown the squash a touch on its top and to melt the butter, inflate the raisins whatever.

Serve piping hot. If its pumpkin you may want to slice into quarters or 8ths depending on the side of the pumpkin. If cooked properly the skin acts sorta like a bowl - throw in compost heap once you eat the meat.

Fresh fruits and vegetables cos we holiday in summer. Strawberries in particular.

English Christmas Pudding

From what I know about it, its more like the original "fruit cake".
Its made with flour, fruit, suet, spices, liquor, and nuts. Much more than the American Fruit Cake.

There are many different versions, with many different toppings. Some pour brandy on top, some pour cream or liquid custard on top, some pour fruit chutney on top.

I have never had any, but its something I am willing to try.

Here is the link to the supposed actual English Christmas Pudding--
http://britishfood.about.com/od/christmas/r/xmaspud.htm

[Image: christmas-pudding1.jpg][Image: christmas-pudding.jpg]

Whats YOUR countries holiday "big treat"????

In America, its the Fruit Cake. Such a waste of food. Millions of these things are made, but there are only 2 or 3 people in the USA who actually EAT this stuff!!!!!
[Image: fruitcake.jpg]
[Image: christmas%20fruit%20cake-saidaonline.jpg]
[Image: picegLEBl.jpg]

For the Bahamas.....I found this.....

Food has always been a central feature of Christmas in Bahamas. Some traditional Bahamian Christmas items are black cake, ginger beer, imported apples, imported grapes, garlic pork, pepper pot, pickled onions and ham. Christmas drinks included ginger beer, sorrel, mauby, sweet potato fly (a fly is a fermented drink), other kinds of fly, falernum, shandy, rum and wines. About a week before Christmas Day carolers go out in the evening singing carols in public places. One of favorite Christmas carols Christians Awake, Salute the Happy Morn still rings in the ear.