Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How should you refer to your partner?
im in the habit of calling everyone Sugar Tits not matter who it is, I got it from a comedy tv show called Gavin and Stacy and really need to stop as calling my boss Sugar Tits is gonna get me in trouble

The article appears to be harping on the term 'wife' more than anything else. Because women have been objectified and made subject to their husbands dominion over them.

As for what I would all my partner (if I had one) that would be by what ever his name is.

I fail to see any problem here since society is moving along and terms and titles have changed their meaning over time.

[MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION] OMFG!! My ex introduced himself to some guys at a club by saying he was my lover, and 2 of them clapped their hands over their ears and started screeching, TMI! TMI! (...and yes, we're talking gay guys/gay club here...).

Lexington Wrote:"Fuck chum".

Lex

Why do I feel like that was a line in an Ethan Mordden book?

Oh, and ETHAN MORDDEN HAS A BLOG! Squee!

Pyromancer Wrote:[MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION] OMFG!! My ex introduced himself to some guys at a club by saying he was my lover, and 2 of them clapped their hands over their ears and started screeching, TMI! TMI! (...and yes, we're talking gay guys/gay club here...).

LOL...yeah...it is an antiquated way of saying you are "with someone"....and today...people think all kinds of weird things when you say he is "my lover".....

In the 70s and 80s...gay men used that term "my lover" all the time to describe their partner...it was a normal term at the time...

One thing now I have heard...they assume you have a husband...and a "lover" on the side LOL..which now that I think about it.....makes a statement about them...like WHY would they assume your husband isn't your lover anyway?

Odd that so far the term spouse has not come up. It is completely inclusive and well established. Why not use it?

To me, husband has a connotation of "caretaker" that I see in historical context as evidence of the ownership of a wife. Why not something more neutral?

I am not, as a rule, a fan of political correctitude, but spouse comes ready made and seems not to carry a lot of baggage.
I bid NO Trump!

I call him 'Mag'
Short for imaginary.. 😄

You'll find "Ma Bish" works in most settings.

LJay Wrote:Odd that so far the term spouse has not come up. It is completely inclusive and well established. Why not use it?

To me, husband has a connotation of "caretaker" that I see in historical context as evidence of the ownership of a wife. Why not something more neutral?

I am not, as a rule, a fan of political correctitude, but spouse comes ready made and seems not to carry a lot of baggage.

Actually, I find using the term "spouse" quite uncomfortable. I called Carl everything from "partner" to "lover" before we married, but I am quite comfortable with "Husband" now that we are married.

~Beaux

You could call them your PA / secretary / solicitor / personal trainer etc. There is a wealth of possibilities (although things like uncle / dad / granny are pushing it).