Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make myself comfortable in a new accommodation?
Guys, when did you first started to live alone, without the help of your parents? What was is like for you?

From today on I'm starting the life of an adult. I've got a job and my own flat. I've dreamed so long about this moment - finally I'm independent of my parents, I can do whatever I want and no one will bother me and make remarks for everything I do. Although I have to say I feel quite funny about this, probably because I've never had such freedom. All my life I never even had a room of my own, we all, my parents, my sister and me, we were all living together in small one bedroom apartment. Now I also have one bedroom apartment, but it's for me alone and there's so much space that I'm slightly confused. I also moved to another city so I don't have any friends here yet.

This is my first night in my new home, I haven't even unpacked yet. Everything is nice and clean, but I feel kind of lonely. It's just that it's the first time I'm so alone, like completely alone. I'm the youngest child and although I always wanted to do everything myself and solve my problems myself, my parents have always babied me and I hated it. Now I'm completely on my own. I like it, but right now the feeling is weird. Is it weird that although I've wanted this so much, I feel like it'll be hard to get used to living alone?

Wait... what a wonderful feeling you have!! You just revived my emotions on what should become my fulfilled dream...

Amazing, I can know how hard it is, of course it is. But that's what makes it sweet!! It may often be so hard to leave everything and everyone behind, but your actual prize is far more precious. You've just granted yourself a free life, free of the past, and a new day that has shined upon your path. Now go ahead and don't waste any more second, LIVE!! Wavey

I am so happy for you... I can't wait to see myself how it feels like to be... ALIVE!!

Congratulations on moving into the life you now can make for yourself.

Started to reply to you and got tom paragraph three when I realised that it was becoming far too personal. So, to answer your question I guess it must have been when I was 21.

Congratulations on your emancipation. As you say, you can do what you want now. You'll soon make friends getting to know your new neighbourhood. Enjoy your life and your new freedom.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Congrats on your new place, Davis.

When I (finally) moved into my own place, I was so excited I didn't have the lonely feelings you're talking about.

Get yourself set up in your new place. Get everything unpacked and placed just where you want it to be, and then you can go out into the world and make a life for yourself. Google can help you with that.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Congrats on your move Davis...

Your feelings sound normal to me and I think they will evolve as time goes along....

Enjoy the journey!

I emancipated from my parents at 16 and moved of their home a few days after my 16th birthday.

What was it like for me....

I was still in highschool. I worked two jobs and worked at finishing high school (I wanted a diploma, not a GED).

I was dirt poor. I lived in a lot of shitty places. It pretty much sucked, but it was still better than living at home.

That said? I understand that loneliness. I have a twin sister and we shared the same room, same bed, etc all through our lives up until the day I moved out. That first night alone? It was pretty harsh.

Congratulations on your independence, man. That feeling of loneliness? It eases yeah? Once you start filling your days and space with what you want to make of your life, and fill your life with.

I missed that transition from my parents home to living on my own by doing 4 years military service. When I returned to my parents' house it took about 2 days before I knew I wasn't going to be there long. After 4 years of living with other guys,never having a private bathroom and always having to deal with room mates --- I was ready to be on my own... or so I thought.

It still took time to adjust to being on my own but once I realized I was just missing what I had grown comfortable with --- and that the whole thing about living on my own was pretty open ended without rules I began to enjoy it. I learned to like cooking for myself, buying furniture and having things and space that were "mine" it all became fun. What you're experiencing is what we in the US call homesickness. Create your own sense of home and it will go away. Get out and make new friends, try new things.

Moving out of my parents home was more of a thing about survival than the typical graduation from childhood to adulthood.

First night was sleeping on the street. Second night was sleeping in a rundown room of a rooming house (Thanks to Salvation Army). Clean place came after I scrubbed it.

I didn't suffer from the whole 'loneliness' thing. I was thankful to be out of harms way - yes being on the streets on the wrong side of town was much, much safer than being at 'home' with my parent.

Don't get too addicted to the loneliness and don't get stuck in your ways of doing everything. Eventually you'll find the right person and one of you will move in with the other and you'll never be alone again and they will do things different from you and you'll have to live with it.

I don't have that problem yet. I have roommates that never leave me alone. But my sister is having problems. She got lonely, so decided to get a room mate or two. Worst mistake ever. My sister has OCD about a clean and orderly house, her room mates didn't and were slobs. She had no space that she could retreat to and be alone, since one of the room mates was her boyfriend. Yes they were friends before they moved in together but now they hate each other. They lasted less than six months together. And now she is continually doing things outside of the house, so she can't dwell on the loneliness.