Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would/do you kick addiction?
Ok I'm defiantly addicted to pot. And I'v stared experimenting with other drugs and I wana kick my addiction. Simple.

Tho this is my first day without weed and I'd love some weed more than anything also cos I borke up with my boyfriend today. Oh just to be numb Sad

Addiction is a behavior, in this case, also a coping mechanism. Find another behavior or tactic to deal with your stress triggers. I used to do five pushups for every cigarette I smoked (had to bump that up when I got used to doing pushups, plus I didn't smoke that much anyway).

Always good to manage your bad habits, not have them manage you. Do some physical exercise, run, gym, bike. Instead of going to the pub read that book.

Google for a affirming on line support group.

I'm addicted to food (I admit it) as well as a pretty bad addiction to caffeine.
Now, while my addictions are more mild, they can still considered to be unhealthy addictions. When I don't have caffeine, I have similar symptoms to that of someone going off nicotine.
I find the replacement method to be best. Replace the bad habit with something good! I've started crocheting whenever I feel hungry and it's not my scheduled eating time or it's past 8pm. I've made so many scarves and I'm thinking I might make something a little harder.
I'm still working on the caffeine addiction part...though I can say I've gone from 2-3 sodas a day to a tall glass of water with just a small squirt of MiO Energy in it a day. It takes time.
Anyway, what I'm getting at is maybe try exercising or finding a productive hobby to do whenever you have the urge to do drugs. There are plenty of clinics and out-patient rehabs that can help you with this.
I hope you get over your addiction and I wish you lots of luck in life!

I had a cocaine addiction, one day I just decided to stop, flushed my stash, ignored my user "friends" calls and changed my lifestyle. It was not easy at first but I realized that if I don't stop, I won't be able to stop at all.

Good luck to you, I wish you all of the best Smile

Hi you could try Talking to your doctor who could help you get into a detox centre to help your addiction. You can talk to others who used drugs and see how they stopped there drug use.
An eye for an eye

Hi,
I can't add anything useful. But I am sorry that you have broken up with your boyfriend *hug*

I work with people who have addictions. If you ever want to talk about it send me a PM.
An eye for an eye

I kicked meth and other stuff by making a geological rehab... meaning I moved away from the dealers, party people, party places (toys, play people, play places).

I also started addressing the underlying reasons why I used. For me it was largely self medicating - I used meth to deal with 'stuff' that I didn't deal with in a healthy way. Thus I started therapy and other things and started to address my other problems which helped a great deal with dealing with the cravings.

Its easier to stop doing a thing if you know why you do it, It was easier for me to stop dosing with meth when I knew that I was addressing depression, or running away from PTSD nightmares and other crap.

I also got a program of Recovery. I found A.A. to be more helpful than N.A.... I also drank oceans of alcohol.... both programs are pretty much the same, however there is far less 'new' drug users in AA thus you are not faced with as many potentials to find a new party person/dealer what not.

If you can't relocate to a new city, you may want to seriously reconsider where you are. If your thing is to smoke at the park, stop going to the park. If you thing is to smoke while listening to certain music - go to the park instead (unless the park is where you smoked too - go to the museum, the library, another park.

Also cleaning the house appears to help. A deep cleaning, finding all the papers, pipes, bongs, baggies, needles whatever paraphernalia you have/use.

One thing that may help is having a funeral for your addiction. Yes seriously...

I bought a wooden coffin one that was about 10 inches long. I put my needles, baggies and other stuff in it, nailed it shut and then buried it in a nice place. I had a eulogy for my addiction and did other funeral type things to 'bury' the dead.

It helped a lot with my resolve to stay clean and sober It gave me a 'death date' for my addiction and something symbolic to gain strength from in my weaker moments.

Change of scenery and/or company,, just being in a different surrounding, I believe can work wanders, also I'd say a good idea is to find a hobby, something to activate your mind