Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is drawing something you can learn?
hey all,

was just wondering what people's opinion on this??

Is Drawing (good) a skill your born with or can anyone learn to draw?

Anyone can learn how to draw well. It's like any other skill. If you practice at it you'll get better at it.
Obviously some people are more gifted than others, but you don't need natural talent to get good at it.
I wish the way a lot of art teachers taught it was more technical. More organized. More like how math and other subjects are taught. I wish it was taken more seriously...
That's my opinion anyway.

I think that you can appositely lean how to draw, it’s really just about how much time you’re willing to put into it. It’s all about practice, practice and more practice, than after all that practice you still won’t be where you want to be.

Art is a strange thing because you it’s something that you never stop improving on the more you do it but at the same time you can never master it. There is always someone better than you, there is always something new to learn.

I also give you a bit of a warning, learning to draw can be incredibly rewarding as well as incredibly frustrating. I myself quit drawing/art altogether because I hit a point where I stopped improving or at least I think I stopped improving.

If to where to give you some advice, it would be get drawing bro. Even if it sucks worse than anything that has ever sucked before that doesn’t matter. What matters is opening the that creative, getting those creative juices following.

Like I said art can be a very rewarding activity. Art can open your mind, you start using parts of your brain that you didn’t know you had. You can tap into your imagination again which most people tend to lose has they get older. Maybe you’ll start see the world in lines and brush strokes, you’ll look at a car an think hey I can draw that (maybe) or a tree an think I could paint that, and that……that’s something Smile

Sorry if this rant is a bit all over the place I just keep writing not really knowing what point I was trying to make.

In reply to the OP, I think pretty much everyone can lean to draw moderately well if they put in the required effort. However the required effort is much greater for some than others. I doubt that in all cases it is worth the effort. I gave up trying to learn to draw and used my time more productively. I don't regret it.

I agree with Timmy about the value of creativity. However there are many different ways in which creativity can be expressed, drawing is but one of them.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Well, I believe it's mostly a talent you are born wiht. I mean, some people have a bit of it annd can LEARN to draw better, as in, they can develop skills and techniques and stuff. But for some people, like me, it's totally useless to try to learn any techniques and stuff, I'm hopeless. :]

I always believe in practice makes perfect, i think we can all draw, people may not be able to do it better then others but you can still try and even if you try you may improve, i'm always gonna stick by that Smile

im hopeless at drawing but if taught....then yes i may be ok but i think artists are born with the prediliction for it

its like most things some are just good without trying and others have to work at it,If you want to get better then I suggest you buy a good book because its not just about practice but understanding the rules to follow,also having the correct paper and pens play a very big part,understanding how shadows work is one of the most important things to learn but some people think only to add a few shadows at the end of a drawing but most of the best artists will not use any lines but only shawdow, get the shadows wrong in a pic and it will most likely not be a successful drawing,perpetive is another thing a book will help you understand,you could get everything else right in a pic but get this part wrong and it will just not look right,the eye plays tricks on us all the time,so learning these rules and tricks will go along way to making the practice you do do really show results.

That's a great question. I tried to teach myself to draw for the longest time, and I think I have mediocre talent at best. Some people have a greater knack at it, but yeah, the more you practice the more you can reach your maxium potential. I think I'd be pretty good if I could draw all the time and if it were my trade, but I can't seeing as I have a job not related to art at all. Tongue I still like to do it sometimes, but it's not something I pursue as a craft anymore. See andyk81 [dot] deviantart [dot] com if you wanna see my mediocre skills!

I want to write a series of graphic novels someday, and have decided in order to meet my vision I'd hire a more talented artist who has the skills and patience to make my vision a reality. Sometimes people just have a better knack for certain artistic skills than others like that. I think I'm a better writer than draftsman, so I'm rolling with that. Also, while I initialled sucked at guitar, I've found that I have a much better knack for bass. Just gotta find what you're good at!

I've always loved drawing.
And used to constantly practice.
I also took art as one of my GCSEs.

It's safe to say one of my premature birth defects stop me from getting any good at drawing due to my hands shaking all the time.
But i do really enjoy drawing. I'm just not any good.:redface:
I don't really draw at all any more.
If i do, i normally do it on the computer.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so