Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Japanese literature
I need help with recommendations for quality Japanese literature/authors. There are so many works out there, that maybe there is someone here who is better knowledgeable in the field to help me wade through them ( [MENTION=20738]TwisttheLeaf[/MENTION] maybe?, I know you're not Japanese, but you're closer; [MENTION=15656]Sylph[/MENTION] seems to have a Japanese influence as well, though I'm not sure how well he knows their literature?).

I am already acquainted with Natsume Soseki (Kokoro), and Kenzaburo Oe (The Silent Cry). I also know of Yukio Mishima (Forbidden Colors is on my list), and Yasunari Kawabata (just bought The Lake).

I am new to Japanese literature, but I have to say I love how it's not story-driven at all (at least from what I've read so far). The very defining characteristic, and a very attractive one at that, is that the details of the stories don't matter. It's driven by the unconscious mainly, or the subconscious makeup, processes and associations of one or more characters. This is something I can be interested in. In contrast, invented stories and plot lines are boring to me (in other words, what the Western literature is currently doing), unless they are moving pictures and well made ones. So I have discovered that Japanese literature fits my mind.

I'd like to hear back from you guys if you have any experience with it, and if you do, what books/authors you liked, and what you would recommend. It doesn't have to be a discussion only revolving around educating me, your own personal viewpoints, and feedback would be appreciated.

Another thing -- with the exception of Mishima, all of the authors I mentioned use heterosexual characters/relationships in their works, and I would also like to know if there were some names or works that used homosexual characters/relationships primarily. (Saikaku Ihara is already in my library). If you knew any homosexual titles I'd appreciate that as well.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Bitch, first of all; who are you calling a "he"?

I'd like to be called ゆシリア様 (Lady Yusilia), thank you very much! Lol

And as for literature; I sadly am not really into Japanese authors and what not.
I typically read fanfictions and other minour works in Japanese.

As the level for reading full on novels and liturgical scripts and shit, is pretty high, I would need to be N2 or above and I'm not quite there yet lol.

Tho I can only assume you're reading these works in English?

I can recommend to you fabulous musical artiste with some beautiful ass songs and movies and such, however I sadly am not a literature junkie.

I'd also be willing to help you learn Japanese in a fun and organic way (I.e talk/type with me), but as I've said, I'm not inherently fluent, tho I'm grammatically savvy in Japanese, perhaps more so than in English loooool.

So that way you can "fully" and truely understand the literature in it's purest and original form, but it won't be an overnight thing girl.

If you have questions or inquiries about anything, be it what you happen to come across or would like for me to search for ya, just go ahead and ask my ass hun, I'll do my best to translate for your lovely ass.

じゃねFrog

Like Slyph, I'm not particularly in to Japanese literature. That said? I -do- have some sources I can ask. I might need a couple of days to get hold of them, but I'll come back when I have and let you know what they've said. Smile

meridannight;673491
Another thing -- with the exception of Mishima, all of the authors I mentioned use heterosexual characters/relationships in their works, and I would also like to know if there were some names or works that used homosexual characters/relationships primarily. ([B Wrote:
Saikaku Ihara[/B] is already in my library). If you knew any homosexual titles I'd appreciate that as well.

フム~

知らないよ。。。

I know that Japanese do have homo-centric novels/literature, but a great deal of the "important" shit, is decades upon centuries old.

As in; 武士 Or otherwise known as 侍 , both known to us as "Samurai"

As in Greece with a similar form, was a period and practice in where male lovers were common place.

However, much of contemporary homosexual expression, can be found in a few forms, which I'll break down for easier understanding:

やおい - The sexual personification of the "ideal male pair", typically with one Pursuer or "Top" and a "Receiver" or Bottom.

ばら - which I believe is Japanese slang for Gay stuff, but is the more "Realistic Male Pair" , with not partner having an inherent "role" and is also sexual.

少年愛 - Quite literally "Boy Love" , but is aalmost always a depiction of more a "Brotherly" bond, neglecting sex.

And these can be animated (anime), live action productions and also written works, typically of Fanfiction.

I can direct you untoward some of them, however much of the original works are in Japanese... Obviously lol

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:Like Slyph, I'm not particularly in to Japanese literature. That said? I -do- have some sources I can ask. I might need a couple of days to get hold of them, but I'll come back when I have and let you know what they've said. Smile

If it's not too much trouble, I'd really love it if you did. Would love insight from someone with more knowledge on this.

[MENTION=15656]Sylph[/MENTION], yes, I am reading these books in English.

I almost started studying Japanese in flight school (so this isn't exactly coming out of the clear blue sky in my case; I have a thing for their culture), and I attended a whole semester, but other courses filled up my time, and I dropped it. I appreciate your offer to teach me, and I won't mind it at all as long as it doesn't consume too much of either of our time and energy. I probably can't put that much effort into it, but I wouldn't mind some basic education/help.

I also know of the loves of the samurai. Or nanshoku. Smile (Is it correctly translated as male colors, by the way?).

One of those Japanese books in my library is this one which deals specifically with that subject:

[Image: 51RL9%2BuGqwL.jpg]

Also on my to-read list are these:

[Image: 51lznFvM4kL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

[Image: 9780520251656.jpg]

It's a very fascinating subject, especially since the Japanese (along with the Chinese) didn't associate homosexual desire with baseness or immorality. They saw it more correctly from the get go.

I took up Japanese literature not so long ago just on an experimental basis, since I don't read fiction at all. But I really liked what was there, and I intend to explore more of it.

Have you read Confessions of a Mask by Mishima? That might be all I could offer. I'm not a literature person to begin with, I prefer non fiction. And to be honest, i don't have much interest in Japanese culture, pop or otherwise. But I am interested in the diaspora and the Asian American identity in general, not exclusive to Japanese Americans. I could recommend somethings more in that direction, but it seems more like you're into the idea/style/philosophy of Japanese literature than writings about Japanese identity or homosexuality, right?

Emiliano Wrote:Have you read Confessions of a Mask by Mishima? That might be all I could offer. I'm not a literature person to begin with, I prefer non fiction. And to be honest, i don't have much interest in Japanese culture, pop or otherwise. But I am interested in the diaspora and the Asian American identity in general, not exclusive to Japanese Americans. I could recommend somethings more in that direction, but it seems more like you're into the idea/style/philosophy of Japanese literature than writings about Japanese identity or homosexuality, right?

Writings about Japanese identity, I'm not interested in, but those about homosexuality I am very interested in.

I haven't read Confessions of a Mask. I probably will along the line. Have you read it yourself?

meridannight Wrote:Writings about Japanese identity, I'm not interested in, but those about homosexuality I am very interested in.

I haven't read Confessions of a Mask. I probably will along the line. Have you read it yourself?

I have, it wasn't a book that I personally really enjoyed, but I get the sense we have different tastes and I don't want to taint it for you. But I know its often put out there as a must read in terms of the Japanese experience of homosexuality.

あの。。。 [MENTION=21405]meridannight[/MENTION] 違うよ。Munky

あの言は男色だ。

I don't recognize a "Nanshoku", as that makes no sense, however Danshoku makes more sense, as it means "Sodomy" more or less.

It's written 男色 And is read : Male Colour.

"Nanshoku" would be read as 何色, which is "Naniiro", or the question "What colour?"

It's hard to explain the "why's" and nuances without teaching you the language more and more, however, much of Japanese meanings and inflections are in the Kanji and context, not the actual words.

So interpreting the deeper lore, would require a more adept handle on the idiosyncratic usage of Kanji.

However, don't think Male sexuality was as blatantly widely accepted as it may seem in comparison to the west, as it served a more integral purpose then what's first perceived.