Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a dumb question.
I am one of those people who is always hungry. I fight the urge to eat. Still, I need to eat good meals.

What is is your idea of a good, healthy meal? Full menus appreciated. I am looking for ideas.

Yummy
I bid NO Trump!

Well probably not going to be a lot of help. However, I do a meal prep. I always do chicken, sometimes I change it up on seasonings and whatnot but always chicken. I do a portion of vegetables, just the frozen stuff like the California stir fry stuff... and a carb...sometimes it is sweet potatoes, mac & cheese, baked beans (beware of them) or possibly something else. I cook all this stuff in bulk, put them in divided containers and freeze them. Then I have lunch for about 2 weeks.

Breakfast I usually try to do oatmeal with fruit like blueberries, strawberries, etc and then I add some ground flax seed. Usually hold me over until lunch. Although some mornings I just have PB&J lol. Always COFFEE.

Dinner is pretty much a wildcard. Since I often go on evening bike rides or what have you I sometimes miss dinner.

I just stay away from fried foods and sugary drinks.

Do you have any concerns about always feeling hungry? That could be an issue with hormones like ghrelin or maybe you have a caloric deficit?
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Thanks, [MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION]. I am always hungry because I am diabetic.

Polyuria--Polydipsia--Polyphagia

The three major signs of diabetes.

Your oatmeal does me well at breakfast.

What I am really after is how to deal with eating decently when my home life does not encourage it.
I bid NO Trump!

Breakfast:
Yogurt w/ strawberries and blueberries
Coffee with cream (real cream, not half and half)
Everything bagel with cream cheese and lox

Lunch
Pita bread w/ hummus, black and green olives, and olive oil, bean sprouts

Supper
Fish (shrimp, scallops, or white fish) 3 days a week, red meat (lamb or beef) 2 days a week, chicken or pork 2 days a week
3 vegetables (always fresh; steamed or sautéed, very rarely fried)
Rice OR 1 serving of bread

On special occasions, I prepare Cajun or Creol food (my husband and I are both originally from Louisiana) because that is what we grew up on, but it isn't the healthiest food so we only have it occasionally.

I was borderline diabetic, but after I lost 50 lbs it went away.

Hope this helps!
~Beaux

lamb ..............

I am just discovering that I LOVE lamb.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/spiced-...D=31517974
I bid NO Trump!

I like to roast things in the oven 2x a week, and then it's easy to make quick healthy meals from the leftovers.

Roasting is easy because it takes 10 minutes to prepare: you toss it in the oven and then take it out 70 - 90+ minutes later, and you can use that cooking time to do other things. You're not hovering over the stove on the nights you're roasting.

I roast a whole chicken with herbs, potatoes, and carrots all in one pan. Then I have cooked chicken and roasted vegetables to either eat as is or make other things with it, like frittatas, stir frys, quesadillas, tacos, soups, potato pancakes, etc.

I roast a boneless pork loin with peeled and cubed sweet potato and sometimes wedged fennel. Again, it's about roasting up enough to have food to reheat or use as ingredients in other dishes.

For veggies I like to grow kale and collards so it's easy to eat fresh from the garden. Fresh picked greens do not need much time at all to cook. Again, I just blanch it in a shallow pan of water, drain, and eat. I find I eat more veggies when they are right in the garden rather than getting veggies of questionable freshness from the store.

To reheat and eat the same meal again I just put a little water in the bottom of a pan and steam it. If you eat it all within 4 days there's no need to freeze anything.

I feel a lot of hunger is the body craving nutrition when what it's getting is a lot of empty calories. A habit of eating meat, fish, poultry, eggs, vegetables, fruit, and nuts proves to be very satisfying and healthy.

In contrast, eating habits that contain a lot of breads, pasta, rice, grains, oatmeal, sugary drinks, chips, cookies, ice cream, and other processed foods makes you feel hungry most of the time.

If all you have in the house is healthy food, then it's easy to eat healthy.

If I've had some junky days and need a meal that makes me feel better I'll bake butterfly chicken breasts, topped some tomato purée, onions and peppers that have been sautéed in some balsamic vinegar, chilli flakes and cheese. I'll slice up a potato, make some homemade wedges dusted with paprika and bake those too and I'll have it with some other vegetable(s)... I had it with some homemade ratatouille the other day which was yum.
Gossip is the Devil’s telephone; best just to hang up.

Something which is homemade, healthy in minerals such as protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, healthy fat. Eg.frutits like Apple and others like eggs, Milk, etc.

Thanks for the posts, guys. Gives me a little different way to look at things. Now all I have to do is excavate the kitchen and snatch a chicken from somebody's back yard. It's a craze around here.
I bid NO Trump!