Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leadership problems at work
Ok guys here's a weird question.

I'm a high school teacher in Portugal and this year one of my tasks was to direct a professional course (9 students, ages 16-20); this involved directing a weekly work meeting with all the teachers of the course (9 teachers) and things didn't go well in the last few meetings. In fact, it was awful: some teachers supported me but others were incredibly rude, there was no trust and some even tried to sabotage my work!

I'm trying to understand what went wrong exactly.

Working conditions were dreadful, I had to work overtime (almost 200 hours and no extra pay!) and I had no time whatsoever to prepare those meetings. Maybe I shouldn't have accepted all these tasks (believe me, the amount of work was absurd!) but my legal situation is precarious and I can't really say 'no'.

Moreover there were many unexpected problems (e.g. one of the students became homeless, one of the teachers skipped classes for almost three months and the school decided in the last minute that all internships required an insurance).

I was often naiv and had many doubts and hesitations but my decisions turned out to be the right ones.

All internships started and ended on time, they were close to the students' homes and none of them had to spend money on bus tickets, all our students completed the course with good grades, there were no discipline problems, I was able to get the insurances in less than two days and I was even able to find a home for the homeless student!

The last meeting was actually very good and everyone agreed that I'd done a good job - some of the 'rebels' actually looked frustrated!!

Here's what I've learned on how to direct a work meeting:

a) Preparation is essential but I didn't really have a choice here

b) Never discuss anything, problems should already be solved when you raise them in a meeting

c) Give your colleagues the least amount of work possible

d) Never show any doubts or hesitations

e) What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, never denounce anyone to the school board no matter how right you may be

yay good job. I am a better follower than a leader. All that stress must've sucked.

Good job. Things that one learns from such experiences is the most important takeaway.

Congratulations, Mister Love.

People should be able to defend anything they say or believe or they will begin saying and believing things that are indefensible.

It sounds like you did an outstanding job, given that dealing with your colleagues was akin to herding cats.

Do they always behave that way, or was there an element of professional jealousy involved because you were chosen as leader?

Either way, sounds like you did great!

lauj Wrote:yay good job. I am a better follower than a leader. All that stress must've sucked.

You bet. I even considered quitting but I'm glad I didn't.

Leadership is an extremely complex science, it's not just a matter of having the right personality. I hate leading but sometimes you can't avoid it.

Teaching also implies leadership but at least there's no peer pressure or professional jealousy.

Thanks for your support guys, I really need it right now.

Yeah... Well I have discovered that beating people with your cane until they are senseless is faster, easier and more satisfying than sex...

But your method works... I guess..... if a person wants to be patient and thought of as a kind and merciful person who should not be feared to annoy at any costs...

;-)

PS no puppies where beaten with a cane to make this post... I'm not quite as bad as Mr. Hyde.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Yeah... Well I have discovered that beating people with your cane until they are senseless is faster, easier and more satisfying than sex...

Yes, I think I know what you mean.

I believe the right word for it is 'Schadenfreude'. Smile

I couldn't fight back because I was in a fragile position and they knew it. My #1 priority was to make sure the course was successfully completed, no matter what, and if that didn't happen I would be in serious trouble.

Of course, there's always the possibility of revenge Smile A few years ago, I'd be plotting a counter revolution against those bastards but now I'm older and wiser and I just don't give a d*** anymore.