Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life Where You're At?
So GS has members from so many places around the world, and that means some of you guys will have some pretty interesting animal life around you! I'd love to hear about your animel-neighbours, from your yard to the ocean!

What ones do you love and what ones do you not?

Rabbits, deer, raccoon, sometimes coyote. There are some farms near city limits, so horses, cows, llamas, pigs...

I didn't ever think about how much wildlife there is around here... Mom's house especially has rabbits, they just started coming out again, so every now and then I see one scampering across the driveway and over the lawn.

Ugh...New Mexico has the ugliest and most evil insects on the planet! Scorpions, Black Widows (EVERYWHERE), and hideous giant centipedes!!

On the plus side, the state bird is the Road Runner and they are the coolest birds around! We also have tarantulas, the only spider that I can tolerate- probably because they are so big and hairy that they seem more like a dog or something! Smile

Well, I'm in the New England. I guess the logging companies once went through and cut down most of the woods and the state had to buy a lot of the land back, at least in Western Massachusetts. According to this book I'm reading I guess deer were once a rare sighting to farmers, but now they're everywhere, can get overpopulated.
Here in the Northeastern US, like the rest of North America, there are coyotes. I live near the woods and often, usually in the summer, I can here them making this strange cackling sound. I think it is when they are in the pastures and chasing a skunk, or raccoon, or rabbit or something. It's like, a demonic sound effect you'd hear at the movies. It's cool, creepy, you'd have to listen to it, you can probably look it up online.
Raccoons can be smart enough to unzip tents. A rabid one once made it to my front porch and my dad had to shoot it so it wouldn't infect us or our dogs.
Skunks aren't in the UK, right? I think they had ancestors in Eurasia that went extinct, at least according to Wikipedia. I've never seen a skunk alive, or I think I might have once when I was a child and can vaguely remember it. Roadkill, awful, awful smell.
I've seen opossums before. You know, hanging by they're tails from trees, pouches for their young like kangaroos, playing dead to predators. I've only seen them at night. My grandma whose lived in my town her whole life didn't see one until a few years ago as I was driving her home on the road.
Owls, seen them. I've seen barn owl before, it is a very beautiful owl. Sometimes a snowy owl, like Harry Potter's Hedwig, fly through, though I've never seen one.
Bats at night, one once got into my house and I had to kill it, it was very small, delicate creatures.
Bobcats, I've seen them. They're pretty big.
I once saw a weasel, I think it was deranged, it kept on chasing its tail in a goat pasture.
Martins, bigger weasel-things in the weasel family, seen them, from distances though, clime trees.
Bears, I see bears more than deer. Black bears that is. They just, I just wish they could be more shy. Going on porches, knocking down bird feeders, ugh.
Fisher cat - an even bigger, bigger weasel-thing. One of these, things, ate my cat!!!!!
I've only seen mouse in Canada, though people have seen them in region.
I've never seen any wolves, though supposedly they released a pack in Vermont. Some people I know have said they seen one loner wolf.
Birds: Cardinals, blue jays. I've seen some pretty ducks before. One bird, not a duck, the chickadee, Massachusetts state bird, in the summer it has a call that sounds like "phwee phoo" and in the Winter, it sounds like this "chick a dee dee dee dee." Then there are the mourning doves. They are small, and, naturally monogamous. They select one mate, and mate for life. Like other birds they recognize each other by their calls, and when a mourning doves mate dies, they sing a different call, distinct from their usual calls, a mourning song. I guess that is why they are called mourning doves, Sad Sad
Squirrels and chipmunks. Foxes.

mostly just cats and seagulls ...

Cockroaches???? No, I'm kidding. They are rare here.

Birds mostly, nightingales in spring and summer, and buzzards... Not to mention the neighbours' noisy dogs (quite friendly, however) and I presume a few cats in the yard.

Lalo Wrote:Ugh...New Mexico has the ugliest and most evil insects on the planet! Scorpions, Black Widows (EVERYWHERE), and hideous giant centipedes!!

On the plus side, the state bird is the Road Runner and they are the coolest birds around! We also have tarantulas, the only spider that I can tolerate- probably because they are so big and hairy that they seem more like a dog or something! Smile

This reminds me, since I only think of mammals, apparently...

We have a fantastic population of mosquitoes, a variety of spiders (hobo, recluse, house), garter snakes, and when it's warm for a long while, praying mantis sometimes find their way here.

edit: forgot slugs and potato bugs.

I think the most common animal life here are Homo sapiens. A pain to live with, but they are endearing in a way.

Genersis Wrote:I think the most common animal life here are Homo sapiens. A pain to live with, but they are endearing in a way.

last time i was in london , there were definitely more pigeons than there were people

megumidesu Wrote:last time i was in london , there were definitely more pigeons than there were people

There aren't as much pigeons as there used to be, but still a lot.
We have:
Crows
Wood Pigeons
Brown Birds
(rarely) Robins
Magpies
Foxes

That's all the wildlife that comes to mind; not including domesticated animals, insects, mollusks, arachnids ETC.

While we don't have any badgers nearby, I feel this video should be shared:

Meles meles, European Badger.