Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Light Bulbs to be outlawed in the USA on 1/1/14
Apparently the standard, now deemed "old fashioned", light bulb will be outlawed, for the so-called "energy efficient" bulbs, which are just garbage made to sell...as they cost 100 times MORE than a regular bulb, and dont work as well.

http://shine.yahoo.com/at-home/60-40-wat...00860.html

As always, the government is going to screw money out of you one way or the other!!

Whoever had this idea had one of these crappy light bulbs on there head !!!

Save the earth, screw the people, rich get richer, poor get poorer and in the mean time the price of EVERYTHING goes up.

We need a big war so everyone can release some stress in this shit

A hundred times more?
From what I've seen, ten times more at most on initial purchase, and cheaper in the long run.
Better for the environment too.
If it wasn't for being more expensive on purchase, this would be a complete no-brainer.

It's already happened here in the UK.

I've used energy saving bulbs in all my light sockets and in all my table lamps by choice. It saves money on fuel when the power companies have recently hiked their prices up and is better for the environment.

It is good really for the long term. Its a shame things that are good should always be more expensive, apart from the best things which are free

Things about money dont really bother me that much, i just come to accept i never have a lot. Things will not change for me a lot, if i cant afford a lightbulb i,ll take one and save the planet on my own. Meh.

MisterTinkles Wrote:Apparently the standard, now deemed "old fashioned", light bulb will be outlawed, for the so-called "energy efficient" bulbs, which are just garbage made to sell...as they cost 100 times MORE than a regular bulb, and dont work as well.

http://shine.yahoo.com/at-home/60-40-wat...00860.html

As always, the government is going to screw money out of you one way or the other!!

The usual idea is to put expenses on the people, so the state lessens the public expense..

it's a bit of the same with "good" inflation...GDP can double but the State's obligations remain the same, so everything will cost twice as much and that will be paid by the consumers..

I bet it's the general idea behind it...much like why usually stuff get ruined more rapidly now than they were 20 years ago...so you spend more in the long run and the companies and the State get more revenues at your expense..

but of course one can't say out loud it's bad...cause these light bulbs are "energy saving"...which maybe true, granted; but like all things healhty or environmentaly friendly you have to pay dearly...

I've been using low energy bulbs since well before incandescent ones were discontinued. The saving is considerable. For instance, the last refurbishment that I did of my flat, I changed the fourteen halogen spotlights that I had in the kitchen for LEDS. Previously the 14 50 watt halogen spotlights amounted to 700 watts. Now the 14 4 watt LEDS amount to just 56 watts. Doesn't that make economic sense?
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Weve pretty much switched to those as well. They're good, they do last long but I'm just so paranoid of breaking them because of all those toxic mercury fumes... also theyre quite ugly, but I do like the kight they have.

As others have said we (UK/Europe) have had these CFL's (Compact Florescent Lights) in the UK for quite a few years, and while you can still purchase the "old" incandescent lamps, its the actual manufacture of these lamps that has been discontinued (at least in Europe - who btw are generally more greener than the rest of the world combined) The supply chains are using up old stock, which while still legal to purchase, won't be replaced on the shelves. The manufacture of the old lamps is gradually being phased out, I believe the 100watt and above lamps have already been discontinued.

When the CFL's were first introduced, they were significantly more expensive, however prices soon fell and now most of the energy companies here actually give them away for free.

The only downside to CFL's is that they do not reach maximum light output until around 30 seconds after being switched on.

The latest lighting tech is LED, much brighter than CFL's, instant full brightness and even more energy savings. Still expensive here, but pretty cool when installed Smile

The cost savings between old lamps and LED's is significant, with the CFL's coming somewhere in the middle.

ObW
X

OlderButWiser Wrote:The latest lighting tech is LED, much brighter than CFL's, instant full brightness and even more energy savings. Still expensive here, but pretty cool when installed Smile

The cost savings between old lamps and LED's is significant, with the CFL's coming somewhere in the middle.

If you need to buy LEDs the cheapest place to buy them is on eBay.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams