Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logo's Fire Island
[MENTION=22948]TigerLover[/MENTION] This is where we're headed lol

"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

it will be a bad, gay version of those "housewife" shows.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I have seen the show... it's literally like a remake of A-List NY.
But honestly, I do have a crush on Justin!!! Big Grin

From the clips on YouTube it looks really bad.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

oreosplz93 Wrote:http://www.advocate.com/commentary/2017/...al-decline

I believe this show is painting us in a negative light. Tell me what you all think.

Commentary written by a personal fitness trainer? Really? Okay. (Nothing against personal fitness trainers, mind you.)

I don't really understand the objections to this particular show. Reality television has been around for decades now. This isn't the first gay version of it and it certainly won't be the last.

I've seen a couple of episodes and it seems a fairly accurate representation of the gay party scene. Well, what's actually shown of that party scene, because the whole Fire Island angle is just a backdrop for the real focal point, which is getting to know the six or so fabulous celebrity-seeking cast members.

So what's the big deal? How does any of this paint you or anyone else (except maybe the cast and production crew) in a negative light?

NativeSon Wrote:Commentary written by a personal fitness trainer? Really? Okay. (Nothing against personal fitness trainers, mind you.)

I don't really understand the objections to this particular show. Reality television has been around for decades now. This isn't the first gay version of it and it certainly won't be the last.

I've seen a couple of episodes and it seems a fairly accurate representation of the gay party scene. Well, what's actually shown of that party scene, because the whole Fire Island angle is just a backdrop for the real focal point, which is getting to know the six or so fabulous celebrity-seeking cast members.

So what's the big deal? How does any of this paint you or anyone else (except maybe the cast and production crew) in a negative light?

I like that you came in here questioning all this. I can only speak for myself, and I wanted to give time for other people to respond, but the thread about why gay people are so sexual got me thinking back to this, and I can only sit on my own thoughts for so long.

First off, I'm a total asshole because I haven't even watched this show, and honestly I'm neither interested or curious about it. And to clarify - I don't think shows like this shouldn't be made or should be taken off the air - I'm a supporter of diversifying and expanding representations of gay people, not limiting them, even if limiting means limiting strictly to Emiliano approved, positive representations. You said it's an accurate representation of party culture, I'm going to trust you on that, and some people live like that, some people like to watch that, and some people live vicariously through this kind of thing. Let them have it. How gay people consume entertainment shouldn't be held at a higher standard than how straight people do.

Where my concerns are though, is about how gay people are portrayed within the limited representations there are of us. It's one thing for straight people to have trashy tv shows that depict bad attitudes, drama for drama sake, hyper sexualization... all that. Because for them, there is a vast, endless amount of representation of what a heterosexual person or couple or life is like. So the worst of the reality tv shows for them, just depicts one facet of how heterosexuality and heterosexuals are.

For gay people - or any minority or marginalized group in general - we are already so limited in the types of people and behavior we see reflected, that we can become hyper sensitive to what those representations say. Rather that saying this is one type of gay man or one way that gay people conduct themselves, it says, this is how gay people are. And how we are seen can influence a lot about how we are treated. Our opinions on others are shaped by the people we know - but when you don't know many people of a certain "type" those opinions are also shaped by what we see in movies, tv, the news... And I don't just mean by the broader straight culture, I mean by other gay people too.

Representations for gay people, especially gay people of color, are growing. When I compare to what I remember seeing as a kid growing up vs what I can see today, it makes me happy. But the hypersexual, party boy, physical appearance above all else depictions of gay men is part of a long held stereotype that speaks to some of the traits that many of us don't like or feel connected to. So I can see why people are tired of seeing those reflected over and over again. Why people worry that a show centered around guys trying to party, fuck, and get famous makes us all look bad.

You've always struck me as an intelligent, observant person. Even when you're giving other people a hard time or fucking around. So I don't think you needed me to explain all this, I don't think any of this will come to you as a new idea or anything revolutionary. But you asked a good question that deserved both some thought and an answer. Hopefully others will offer theirs to you too.

InbetweenDreams Wrote:Well that all depends. If you're gay and are into shows like that you probably will enjoy it and likely not see it that way. On the other hand, yes, I think it does exploit stereotypes about gay guys, same sort of crap they do with other shows like Big Brother and Survivor and all the crap that is on MTV. People who have shoestring IQ's do buy in that what is on these shows is real life and that's the way to be, most of us are probably drawn in for the drama and excitement. So it really just depends on how you look at it...and who's watching. My guess GOP supporters in general will just say that that's the reason 'Merica is going down the drain...

'Merica??? I thought it was 'Murrica. :biggrin:

You
Emiliano Wrote:I like that you came in here questioning all this. I can only speak for myself, and I wanted to give time for other people to respond, but the thread about why gay people are so sexual got me thinking back to this, and I can only sit on my own thoughts for so long.

First off, I'm a total asshole because I haven't even watched this show, and honestly I'm neither interested or curious about it. And to clarify - I don't think shows like this shouldn't be made or should be taken off the air - I'm a supporter of diversifying and expanding representations of gay people, not limiting them, even if limiting means limiting strictly to Emiliano approved, positive representations. You said it's an accurate representation of party culture, I'm going to trust you on that, and some people live like that, some people like to watch that, and some people live vicariously through this kind of thing. Let them have it. How gay people consume entertainment shouldn't be held at a higher standard than how straight people do.

Where my concerns are though, is about how gay people are portrayed within the limited representations there are of us. It's one thing for straight people to have trashy tv shows that depict bad attitudes, drama for drama sake, hyper sexualization... all that. Because for them, there is a vast, endless amount of representation of what a heterosexual person or couple or life is like. So the worst of the reality tv shows for them, just depicts one facet of how heterosexuality and heterosexuals are.

For gay people - or any minority or marginalized group in general - we are already so limited in the types of people and behavior we see reflected, that we can become hyper sensitive to what those representations say. Rather that saying this is one type of gay man or one way that gay people conduct themselves, it says, this is how gay people are. And how we are seen can influence a lot about how we are treated. Our opinions on others are shaped by the people we know - but when you don't know many people of a certain "type" those opinions are also shaped by what we see in movies, tv, the news... And I don't just mean by the broader straight culture, I mean by other gay people too.

Representations for gay people, especially gay people of color, are growing. When I compare to what I remember seeing as a kid growing up vs what I can see today, it makes me happy. But the hypersexual, party boy, physical appearance above all else depictions of gay men is part of a long held stereotype that speaks to some of the traits that many of us don't like or feel connected to. So I can see why people are tired of seeing those reflected over and over again. Why people worry that a show centered around guys trying to party, fuck, and get famous makes us all look bad.

You've always struck me as an intelligent, observant person. Even when you're giving other people a hard time or fucking around. So I don't think you needed me to explain all this, I don't think any of this will come to you as a new idea or anything revolutionary. But you asked a good question that deserved both some thought and an answer. Hopefully others will offer theirs to you too.

Thank you.

The fact that you haven't had the time to watch this show leads me to believe the you have better things to do.

That's fantastic.

Have we arrived at the point where we can be as frivolous as our breeder counterparts without question? That's something, right?

NativeSon Wrote:You

Thank you.

The fact that you haven't had the time to watch this show leads me to believe the you have better things to do.

That's fantastic.

Have we arrived at the point where we can be as frivolous as our breeder counterparts without question? That's something, right?

That's a big assumption about me... I just have little interest in celebrity and drama and watching people party. But I watch stupid tv shows and waste my time staring at a screen as much as anyone else.

And I'm not sure I really know how to answer your question. Have we?

Emiliano Wrote:That's a big assumption about me... I just have little interest in celebrity and drama and watching people party. But I watch stupid tv shows and waste my time staring at a screen as much as anyone else.

And I'm not sure I really know how to answer your question. Have we?

Looking at the big picture? A big 'YES' and a little 'no'. If I'm answering just for me, then I have to say I just don't give a flying F either way. As far as reality TV goes, this show is mostly hardly worth mentioning in the first place.

I do not make these rules, I just try not to play by them. Yaas!