Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loneliness
meridannight Wrote:i think you deserve commendation. that is rare for someone your age. all the Facebook (and others like it) does is create an illusion that you know a lot of people. when in reality you don't know most of the thousands you're ''friends'' with there. it is not possible to be friends with hundreds of people let alone thousands.

Facebook and the like cheapen friendship. (and i hate them for it. it's one of the reasons, among others, i refuse to associate myself with it). friendship is something beautiful and amazing. it is a sublime connection between two people, a commitment, a faith. it is not to be trivialized.

i think you have the right idea about these things. that's a very healthy attitude you have there. and your martial arts class sounds cool.

that's the way people are supposed to live. in the real world. the physical world out there. internet is just something for downtime, when you don't have anything better to do, to check on.

to the creator of this thread: read again what Yeshua said. i also agree that you're looking for friendship in the wrong place. it's not to be found on the internet. go out and start approaching real people you like. try to build some connections like that, and take it further from there.

life without friends is lonely. but don't settle for the cheap alternative. go for the real thing. trust me, it's worth all the risk and effort that goes into it.

I have to thanks my dad to have prevented me from having an account before I was able to understand what it is to have real friends, and seeing how some of my friends are hooked on their Facebook and Instagram, I was instantly not interested in jumping in the bandwagon. It's almost like people have forgotten that beside Facebook there are still basic chat system which are just made to chat and not derive your attention to any other other meaningless stuff. Facebook has redefined the word friend to a point that there's two type of friendship now, the virtual and insignificant one and the real sacred friendship.

Furthermore I don't want people that I barely know sending happy birthday messages like if they care it was my birthday. I am contented with the real friends I have, those I can really trust, help and feel.

And to finish, Facebook is maybe free, but there's a valuable price you pay for using the platform, and it's your privacy. Daddy explained to me who where the first people to invest the first million in Facebook, Peter Thiel, who happened to be the former CEO of Paypal which is a financial corporation with a lot of details about their members, I do not trust that one bit since that guy has some skeleton in his closet regarding NSA.

And the other social networks aren't better, they all have the same goals, getting your personal information to use you as a marketable product. I am 16 but I'm not dumb.

Yeshua Wrote:Where are you in the UK? Which City? My BF is in the UK, you two could at least socialize a bit. Smile

I am from a town between Liverpool and Manchester

starlight Wrote:I am from a town between Liverpool and Manchester

He's in Birmingham so south of you... but I truly have no concept of the distance in the UK Smile

Yeshua Wrote:He's in Birmingham so south of you... but I truly have no concept of the distance in the UK Smile

About 2hrs away by train

starlight Wrote:About 2hrs away by train

Than you should have a chat if you like, I'll let him know Smile

Yeshua Wrote:I have to thanks my dad to have prevented me from having an account before I was able to understand what it is to have real friends, and seeing how some of my friends are hooked on their Facebook and Instagram, I was instantly not interested in jumping in the bandwagon. It's almost like people have forgotten that beside Facebook there are still basic chat system which are just made to chat and not derive your attention to any other other meaningless stuff. Facebook has redefined the word friend to a point that there's two type of friendship now, the virtual and insignificant one and the real sacred friendship.

Furthermore I don't want people that I barely know sending happy birthday messages like if they care it was my birthday. I am contented with the real friends I have, those I can really trust, help and feel.

And to finish, Facebook is maybe free, but there's a valuable price you pay for using the platform, and it's your privacy. Daddy explained to me who where the first people to invest the first million in Facebook, Peter Thiel, who happened to be the former CEO of Paypal which is a financial corporation with a lot of details about their members, I do not trust that one bit since that guy has some skeleton in his closet regarding NSA.

And the other social networks aren't better, they all have the same goals, getting your personal information to use you as a marketable product. I am 16 but I'm not dumb.

your dad sounds like a very smart guy, and so do you. you have a lucidity and a common-sense approach about you i haven't seen in a while in anybody. i like that a lot.

i hope you stick around on this forum. it'll be great to hear your perspective on things.
''Do I look civilized to you?''