Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MSM Blood Ban - http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/301
Still don't have enough posts to actual put the link anywhere other than in the title bar.

Basically there is an e-petition to remove the blanket ban on MSM from giving blood. I believe that any ban on donating blood should be based on risk-assessment and not just a case of being banned for life because you're gay (or have ever experimented).

I was wondering if people would be able/interested in signing the petition and passing the link on to others as well. I have tried to pass on the link to both Attitude Magazine and Gay Times, but only time will tell wether they actually do anything with it. I know that this is a big issue for a lot of people and I feel the need to do my part in spreading the word and getting this archaic system of the blanket ban removed and/or changed to something more sensical.

Thanks for reading this and paying attention to my ranting (if you have, if not then fair play either way for showing enough interest to click the link).

Paul :biggrin: x

Even though I'm recently out, I feel very very strongly about this. Why shouldn't gay and bi guys be allowed to donate blood? If I was dying and needed a transfusion I would have no quams about having blood from a straight person or gay person. Plus straight people can be just as promiscuous as gay people. Different individuals are different. I just hope common sense will prevail. Confusedmile:

Wow I didn't know Gay people couldn't give blood thats stupid everyone should be able to give blood and help someone else out as mrk2010 said if I need a blood transfusion I will take blood from a gay or straight person because thats just what it is BLOOD! so you have my support (thumbs up)

I'm not terribly bothered by the blood donation bans, they are a little outdated because we now have fairly accurate screening procedures. However, it is still possible for the screening test to fail, so it helps to eliminate risk from the donor population as much as possible through the interview. Gay men remain a high risk for HIV infection, with the generous estimate being 1/5 infected in Western cities.

OrphanPip Wrote:I'm not terribly bothered by the blood donation bans, they are a little outdated because we now have fairly accurate screening procedures. However, it is still possible for the screening test to fail, so it helps to eliminate risk from the donor population as much as possible through the interview. Gay men remain a high risk for HIV infection, with the generous estimate being 1/5 infected in Western cities.

To an extent I can see the issue with protecting the greater population, but I also agree with Pip that the donation bans are outdated, maybe there should be revised guidelines such as testing for HIV before giving blood then having it tested afterwards, however this all costs money and in the UK especially things are a bit tight with money for the government. As a gay man yes I am offended at been unable to give blood, but as a biology student based on bioethics there is a duty of care which has to be adhered to, to ensure risks must be minimized. This debate could go on forever, hopefully things will change. Confusedmile:

The thing that gets me is that repeated sex with a prostitute (female) in subsaharan Africa leads to a 5 year ban. A single teenage fumble with a boy from a respectable family leads to a lifetime ban. The current ban is plainly irrational. I suspect many gay men will be disappointed when they discover that they still can't give blood under a new revised ban.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Here's the relevant information from the National Blood Service website. Gay men are not the only ones singled out for ineligability, but I find some of the rules somewhat difficult to understand and arbitrarily discriminatory (I've highlighted the obvious example in red):

Quote:You should not give blood if: You've already given blood in the last 12 weeks (normally, you must wait 16 weeks).
You have a chesty cough, sore throat or active cold sore.
You're currently taking antibiotics or you have just finished a course within the last seven days or have had any infection in that last two weeks.
You've had hepatitis or jaundice in the last 12 months.
You've had a tattoo, semi-permanent make up or any cosmetic treatments that involves skin piercing in the last 4 months.
You have had acupuncture in the last 4 months, unless this was done within the NHS or by a qualified Healthcare Professional registered with a statutory body.
A member of your family (parent, brother, sister or child) has suffered with CJD (Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease). To view the position statement on CJD click here.
You've ever received human pituitary extract (which was used in some growth hormone or fertility treatments before 1985).
You have received blood or think you may have received blood during the course of any medical treatment or procedure anywhere in the world since 1st January 1980.
You may not be able to give blood if:
You've had a serious illness or major surgery in the past or are currently on medication. Please discuss this with the clinical staff. The reason you're taking medicines may prevent you from donating.
You've had complicated dental work. Simple fillings are OK after 24 hours, as are simple extractions after 7 days.
You've been in contact with an infectious disease or have been given certain immunisations in the last four weeks.
You're presently on a hospital waiting list or undergoing medical tests.
You do not weigh over 50kgs (7st 12).
If you are unsure please call our 24 hour donor helpline on 0300 123 23 23.

Pregnancy
You should not give blood if you are pregnant or you are a woman who has had a baby in the last 9 months.

Travel abroad
Please wait 6 months after returning from a malarial area before giving blood. Please also tell us if you have visited Central/South America at any time. (Those who've had Malaria, or an undiagnosed illness associated with travel, may not however be able to give blood.)
If you are unsure please call our 24 hour donor helpline on 0300 123 23 23.

West Nile virus
Have you been to or plan to go to CANADA or the UNITED STATES this Summer? If yes, please click here, as it might affect you giving blood.

The special problem of HIV and Hepatitis viruses
  • Every single blood donation is tested for HIV (the virus that causes AIDS) and hepatitis B and C.
  • Infected blood isn't used in transfusions but our test may not always detect the early stages of viral infection.
  • The chance of infected blood getting past our screening tests is very small, but we rely on your help and co-operation.
  • People who carry these viruses may feel healthy for many years.

You should never give blood if:
You have ever had syphilis, HTVL (Human T - lymphotorpic virus), hepatitis B or C or think you may have hepatitis now
You're a man who's had sex with another man, even safe sex using a condom.
You've ever worked as a prostitute.
You've ever injected yourself with drugs - even once.

You should not give blood for 12 months after sex with:
A man who has had sex with another man (if you're a female).
A prostitute.
Anyone who has ever injected themselves with drugs.
Anyone with haemophilia or a related blood clotting disorder who has received clotting factor concentrates.
Anyone of any race who has been sexually active in parts of the world where AIDS/HIV is very common. This includes countries in Africa.
Please do not give blood if you even think that you need a test for HIV or hepatitis, or if you had sex in the past year with someone you think may be HIV or hepatitis positive.
Never give blood to get an HIV test.

https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp

Seems kind of silly to me, as the screening that blood is given is very thorough, I don't imagine there has been a case of HIV transmission from blood transfusion in the last ten or twenty years. I can't give blood anyway, in the US you are ineligible for five years if you have extended travel to thrid world countries, and seeing as I've spent 42 months in the last 7 years in either Iraq or Afghanistan that puts me solidly in the no donating category for the US red cross. In combat however, we don't have the same rules, as when a specific blood type is needed any soldier with that type can give his blood to another soldier.
Richard

marshlander Wrote:Here's the relevant information from the National Blood Service website. Gay men are not the only ones singled out for ineligability, but I find some of the rules somewhat difficult to understand and arbitrarily discriminatory (I've highlighted the obvious example in red):

I agree, some of the bans are just plain mean, considering that this information is atleast 3 years old now [Please see title bar ... still not enough posts to send links yet:redface:]

"HIV-infected blood from a gay man was likely to slip through screening only once in 197 years." - Seems like cutting off your own nose to spite your face. Hence why I think the bans should be risk assessed instead of a plain blanket ban born out of 70s/80s paranoia and fear.