• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marriage Equality Wins in the U.S.!
http://www.advocate.com/politics/marriag...eam=social

Yippee ha YEAH
Cheerleader2Cheerleader2Cheerleader2
ElefantElefantElefant
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

"No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right. The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed." - Justice Anthony Kennedy

Hallelujah!
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I didn't see this thread...there is another one as well....

I will C&P my response here....

I have a mixed reaction.....

I am happy that we have equality under the law...and happy for the people who want to get married that now can.....

BUT...I despise the institution of marriage. Straight people have ruined it for me.....it depresses me to see the lies and the deceit and the really horrible examples I have seen all of my life...so I hope we don't we follow in their footsteps

To hear them defend the "sanctity of marriage"...or defend the "institution of marriage"...is out loud laughable to me. How can they keep a straight face and say that??????

They collectively fucked up the institution of marriage long ago.....

This September...I will have been with my man for 30 years....very happy years...and we are not married...

Our friends who have been together for 34 years did just get married...and they had the same feelings we did..but they are sorta OK with it...so for legal reasons...I will soon get married...but I hate the fact that I have to do that....

I don't want to ruin what we have.

I guess it depends on what you want out of it, [MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION]. For some that commitment of love does not need that license as a symbol of the love and so a legal marriage might only mean something practical. We do not all have to have the same meaning in a legal marriage. People just need to remember that while an attorney can draw up papers for things such as inheritance, medical decisions, and child adoption, no attorney can write a contract that allows an unmarried couple to collect the other's social security in the event of a death, force an employer to cover the other for benefits if they only do that for married couples, or to not have to pay the inheritance tax, if the estate is large enough, that married couples do not have to pay. There are some things you can only get through civil marriage. In the news today we've seen all kinds of sweet stories about love, hugs, and tears, but that is stuff we personally add to it. The ruling today was about the legal contract, not the emotion and spirituality we as individuals add to it.

I was hoping there'd be a thread already running on this.

East Wrote:To hear them defend the "sanctity of marriage"...or defend the "institution of marriage"...is out loud laughable to me. How can they keep a straight face and say that??????

They collectively fucked up the institution of marriage long ago.....

I agree with East 100% on that but the way I see it and have always seen it is the marriage hypocrites don't matter. They've always been hypocrites and they always will be so why worry about one thing they have to say when you know it's going to be "out loud laughable?" Just laugh at them, and get on with life.

Iceblink Wrote:I People just need to remember that while an attorney can draw up papers for things such as inheritance, medical decisions, and child adoption, no attorney can write a contract that allows an unmarried couple to collect the other's social security in the event of a death, force an employer to cover the other for benefits if they only do that for married couples, or to not have to pay the inheritance tax, if the estate is large enough, that married couples do not have to pay. There are some things you can only get through civil marriage.

Iceblink hit all real issues and benefits. For way too long gays have been the people shit on the most with the way taxes, benefits and all that right on down to adoption and child custody. Figure up the difference between a gay couple filing as income taxes as two separate unmarried adults and the cuts people with a marriage license get and you'll get mad. Here in SD as a single male paying property taxes on a house I'm paying more than my legally married parents with a house worth twice what mine is.

On top of that look at health insurance!!!!!!!!!!! holy heck! A marriage license means I can get off the plan I have now, go on Jay's super insurance as his spouse and save $3,800 a year!!!

When we heard the news this morning we put the marriage back on July 11th.

congrats US! a momentous decision worthy of the ideals the country was founded on. well done. i'm glad to hear of this.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Virge Wrote:When we heard the news this morning we put the marriage back on July 11th.
Awesome news, I'm so happy for you. Congratulations!
Cheerleader2Cheerleader2Cheerleader2
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

Thanks [MENTION=20922]Bhp91126[/MENTION] .....

... But this time since he brought it up.........I made him propose... No way I was going to let him off half assed asking me about getting married... hahahahahaha! He was cuter than a puppy about it.... and sent me flowers for the first time in ages...