Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michigan says bullying for religious reasons ok
Quote:On Wednesday, the Republican-controlled state senate passed an anti-bullying bill that manages to protect school bullies instead of those they victimize. It accomplishes this impressive feat by allowing students, teachers, and other school employees to claim that “a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction” justifies their harassment.

Quote:In other words, social conservatives believe that efforts to protect gays from assault, discrimination or bullying impinge on their religious freedom to express and act on their belief that homosexuality is an abomination. That’s stating it harshly, but it is the underlying belief.

This belief, however, relies on a warped understanding of religious liberty. Freedom of religious expression doesn’t give someone the right to kick the crap out of a gay kid or to verbally torment her. It doesn’t give someone the right to fire a gay employee instead of dealing with the potential discomfort of working with him.

It’s also a highly selective conception of religious liberty. The same religious conservatives who applaud the religious exemption in Michigan’s anti-bullying bill would be appalled if it protected a Muslim student in Dearborn who defended bullying a Christian classmate by saying he considered her an infidel

Read more: http://swampland.time.com/2011/11/04/why...z1cuOKjWAS

I liked Sen. Whitmer's response:

So we can bully those religious types relentlessly, and to their death and not fear repercussions based on our non-beliefs?

How sad.
religeon is so anoying.
Human rights clash with it all the time.
Our human rights should come before religeon for the simple fact that EVERYONE has the same human rights. Not everyone has the same religeon.!!

This is so awful, it sickens me. Why is there an assault on reason in this country? Why do those who hold one type of religious belief feel they are above the law? Why can't we just say "you're tormenting and torturing a student for being [gay, handicapped, whatever], we will stop you and punish you" instead of giving a free ride to the Christian right-wing? This is just.......disgusting.

jamiebfd Wrote:How sad.
religeon is so anoying.
Human rights clash with it all the time.
Our human rights should come before religeon for the simple fact that EVERYONE has the same human rights. Not everyone has the same religeon.!!
I've discovered this first hand unfortunately, insofar as i've had debates with people saying a religion or belief justifies human rights violations.:frown:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

I am rarely unable to find 'just cause' for a person or thing. I am usually pretty good at tempering stuff and seeing a middle ground.

Sorry, I just can't see a middle ground here.

It is time to bring back the Burning times, this time focusing it on the true devils amongst us.... those insane conservatives....

That is simply a travesty. There is no other way to describe it.

It is just another example that gives lie to the assertion that Christianity inspires a better morality. And I don't see how this would work for someone who's not a Christian, not unless a school in Michigan backed say Muslim students for attacking infidels (including Christians), and if that did happen (which it wouldn't) then the legislature would quickly intervene to make sure their protected class retained its special rights (Christians only).

Anyway, Matt's dad gives an eloquent and passionate response to the bill and its loopholes:

Essentially, what this Bill does is allow people to express their religious view concerning homosexuality while on school property without it being considered bullying. A christian can walk up to a gay kid and tell him that his supposed lifestyle is evil, an abomination, against gods will, etc. In turn, the gay kid can walk up to a christian kid and tell him that he's a dufus for worshiping a god that is a genocidal, mass murdering, baby killer who also promotes slavery, and allows men to own multiple wives. They want to insure free speech is not abridged, not sure why they wanted to specifically protect the free speech of people with religious views,,, but free speech works both ways & LGBT people can utilize their free speech just as easily as christians. So, throw it right back in their faces if the christians start calling you an abomination or evil.

Here are the pertinent clips from Michigan's SB-0137

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/...S-0137.htm

(8) This section does not abridge the rights under the First
Amendment of the constitution of the United States or under article
I of the state constitution of 1963 of a school employee, school
Volunteer, pupil, or a pupil's parent or guardian. This section
Does not prohibit a statement of a sincerely held religious belief
Or moral conviction of a school employee, school volunteer, pupil,
Or a pupil's parent or guardian.

(b) "Bullying" means any written, verbal, or physical act, or
Any electronic communication, by a pupil directed at 1 or more
Other pupils that is intended or that a reasonable person would
Know is likely to harm 1 or more pupils either directly or
Indirectly

How very sad and backwards , a total heap of Bovine Scat.