Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misconceptions about your home state/region
That all people from NJ are just like the ones on "Real Housewives of New Jersey", "Jerseylicious" and "Jersey Shore".

WE ARE NOT!

Also, that we're all bad drivers. Not true, you're all the bad drivers. LOL
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I'm in South Dakota. Most people think of this as lots of rocky Mountains like Mt Rushmore. WRONG. I think the Black Hills that are the area where Rushmore is make up 8% of the state and only in the SW-ish corner near Wyoming. Most of the state is an ocean of grass, with " green waves and tsunamis" We also have "badlands" that aren't deserts but like some other barren planet.

When someone comes to see Rushmore I tell them to trust me and we'll do a drive by so I can take them to the REAL sites... There's cities like Lead (LEED) and Deadwood that no camera has ever done justice. I love to hear people freak out when they see the spiral pigtail bridges that hardly no one had heard about... If they bring kids I sorta play santa and make it easy for them to find rubies and gold in streams.

The part I love most is being able to walk out my doors and see 70 miles to the west, 15 miles to the south and about 20 to the north and east. Sneak up on me and you have to be a jedi ninja! LOL.

Arkansota, in what part of Minnesota do you live when you are there? I'm from the southern suburbs of St. Paul.

Since I currently live in Hawaii I'll use that for this thread...

Movies, TV, and travel brochures depict Hawaii as a flawless paradise. Despite its natural beauty, there is a lot of poverty here. The cost of living is ridiculously high here, many families have to share their homes in order to afford to survive, the traffic is wretched, and so many people have 2 or 3 jobs just to make ends meet. One needs only to drive half a mile in land from the famed Waikiki beach area to see such conditions. Don't get me wrong, I've never lived in such an amazing place, plus there is a HUGE cost to live in paradise and employment is tough here for so many.

There's still a silly misconception that people in Birmingham/Midlands have the daftest UK accent ever, and that the city is full of ugly concrete and crime. Not true!

We have a fine concert hall, great shops, nightlife (including a bustling gay area Tongue), a theatre, plenty of restaurants...

The UK's second city indeed!

GuyOverThere Wrote:There's still a silly misconception that people in Birmingham/Midlands have the daftest UK accent ever, and that the city is full of ugly concrete and crime. Not true!

We have a fine concert hall, great shops, nightlife (including a bustling gay area Tongue), a theatre, plenty of restaurants...

The UK's second city indeed!

But Birmingham people do have daft accents :p

Only joking with you lad.

A lot of what Guy has stated is true, and applies to Nottingham as well.

memechose Wrote:I'm in South Dakota. Most people think of this as lots of rocky Mountains like Mt Rushmore. WRONG. I think the Black Hills that are the area where Rushmore is make up 8% of the state and only in the SW-ish corner near Wyoming. Most of the state is an ocean of grass, with " green waves and tsunamis" We also have "badlands" that aren't deserts but like some other barren planet.

When someone comes to see Rushmore I tell them to trust me and we'll do a drive by so I can take them to the REAL sites... There's cities like Lead (LEED) and Deadwood that no camera has ever done justice. I love to hear people freak out when they see the spiral pigtail bridges that hardly no one had heard about... If they bring kids I sorta play santa and make it easy for them to find rubies and gold in streams.

The part I love most is being able to walk out my doors and see 70 miles to the west, 15 miles to the south and about 20 to the north and east. Sneak up on me and you have to be a jedi ninja! LOL.

I have heard nothing but good things about South Dakota

Contrary to popular belief, upstate (in other words, rural) New York is actually a thing.

California is by no means as liberal as folk think it is.

It is nearly evenly divided, with the coastal cities being liberal the rest is conservative.

We all don't surf, or live on the beach. Few of us live in Hollywood...or work for/in the movie industry.

And while we have the Valley, not all of us are like, you know, totally for sure for sure about anything.

My "home state" (where I was born) is Louisiana.
People think of Louisiana, and they assume that the state is full of poor, uneducated, racist, bible thumpers who watch Fox News and are bigoted against all things LGBTQ.
I cannot think of any misconceptions about the state of Louisiana though....

Beaux Wrote:My "home state" (where I was born) is Louisiana.
People think of Louisiana, and they assume that the state is full of poor, uneducated, racist, bible thumpers who watch Fox News and are bigoted against all things LGBTQ.
I cannot think of any misconceptions about the state of Louisiana though....

But Beaux..they produced you so they got something rightXyxthumbs