Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scented candles. Are you poisoning your home?
Personally I am alwasy suspicious of people who "scent" their homes. What are they hiding?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-3528133...a&ns_fee=0
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Farts mostly

That or bodies. Lol.

I light scented candles or incense sticks because I enjoy the smell of them. Not because I am trying to hide any smells.

Cridders88 Wrote:That or bodies. Lol.

I light scented candles or incense sticks because I enjoy the smell of them. Not because I am trying to hide any smells.

Well I hope you've got a house plant in the room at the same time.

LONDONER Wrote:Well I hope you've got a house plant in the room at the same time.

I do incidentally. As I am green fingered but don't have a garden I have 6 flowering cactus and 4 orchids in the flat so I think I'll be ok Smile

Cridders88 Wrote:I do incidentally. As I am green fingered but don't have a garden I have 6 flowering cactus and 4 orchids in the flat so I think I'll be ok Smile

Good for you Cridder. I'm ther absolute opposite. I've given up on having house plants (I don't use scented candles by the way) as I am away from home too frequently and for long stretches at a time. I used to have an orchid and asked a friend to water it very sparingly. He drowned it and it died.

When I was a Shiatsu practitioner, my practise room was full of plants but I had to get rid of them as they were creating too much damp. Now I am reduced to just the plants on my terrace that don't fare too well either. I have an automatic watering system that seems to work when it pleases.

LONDONER Wrote:Good for you Cridder. I'm ther absolute opposite. I've given up on having house plants (I don't use scented candles by the way) as I am away from home too frequently and for long stretches at a time. I used to have an orchid and asked a friend to water it very sparingly. He drowned it and it died.

When I was a Shiatsu practitioner, my practise room was full of plants but I had to get rid of them as they were creating too much damp. Now I am reduced to just the plants on my terrace that don't fare too well either. I have an automatic watering system that seems to work when it pleases.

Yeah, being away from home can make keeping them difficult I guess. I can leave my cactus for quite long periods and they tend to be ok. Orchids are much more finicky though. They only thrive well my bathroom and out of direct sunlight. And very easy to over water them. Very rewarding plants though if you get it just right.

Yep the fragrance can in some cases be pretty bad....now I do like scented candle and incense. Unfortunately my father likes to smoke in the house so anything to try to cover that up...

I have tried to do house plants and yeah they either die from drying up or drowning... I've even killed cactus lol that and with my cat, probably knock it on the floor and have another mess to clean up lol
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I swear pseudo-science is gonna make me shoot myself one of this days.

Formaldehyde is pretty damn toxic. If it stuck around long enough for you to inhale it in decent amounts YOU WOULD BE DEAD!

It's a freaking gas, it leaves out the next available open window, in the same fashion as the hydrogen sulfur you fart on a daily basis (also toxic, eh?)

Now, sensationalism aside, I see no reason why to use these products frequently anyway. A properly ventilated space doesn't keep odors around. Open a window at some point of the day. Period.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

I somehow like those little tree fresheners better, they don't smell as much.