Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monotheism -v- Polytheism ?
What are your views on monotheism -v- polytheism ?

My exposure to the two concepts is perhaps slightly less hands-on than some other people ... basically I was raised C of E, believing in our one God, but we did this project on Ancient Greek Civilisation whilst I was at primary school, and I found the concept of MULTIPLE Gods to be a really fascinating idea ...

Polytheism does make a lot of sense in some ways, and I do see why so many ancient cultures took to it well ... the belief that your crops might fail because you had angered Demeter, for example, but that by offering her an appeasement you could bring her back to the table so-to-speak, could be used to account for a very large amount of their seasonal issues ... not to mention being a good way of accounting for how the God/s could keep track of all the various goings on in the world (i.e. because each of them had spheres of influence, such as Dionysus' being the God of Wine, Parties, Orgasms and loads more besides).

Monotheism, in contrast, presumes that the one God is perfect, and has been able to create all things under his/its gaze. I'm down with that, as that's how I was raised as I say, but I can see where people might start to think it's a bit of a tall ask, even for God himself ... maybe ...

What are your thoughts ?

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

how about the concept that there are no Gods and it's just a way to make everyone feel better

........................ is not really an answer to my question, but thanks for playing !! Confusedmile:.

Actually, you could have just come up with a new term - zerotheism !! :biggrin:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

wasn't trying to answer the question

find it all interesting

but overall believe it doesn't exist and is a way to make people feel better

not to mention a money making machine for most

By Zeus! the Polytheistic religion of ancient times was so complicated on one hand, and yet incredibly fun and interesting on the other.
I love the Greek gods (thats why I study them) and as you notable mentioned Dionysos, I am particularly fond of him. Most of my research has been dedicated to Dionysos and his various roles, origins, influences, and dilemmas.
In my opinion, the polytheistic religion is much more open than the monotheistic religion, but of course it depends on culture and what the religion teaches.

Well said gentlemen,

Gaycomputerdude - I know - I wasn't having a go Confusedmile: - it's an interesting point you raise though ... if it is all just one big method of control, then do you think we'd be better to reject it ? Might we take better control over the world if we did, d'ya think ??

XRIMO - I know babe - that's why I mentioned him - I was hoping you'd respond Wink.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

no I know you weren't having a "go"

just wanted to interject it is all

seen a lot of posts about problems people are having in their countries and I know they are far worse than here in the US but we still have lots of hate here .. and I don't mean just for gays

and the majority of it is tied to Religion which I don't believe in and to money which none of us have control over

just wanted to broaden your original question

Fair enough Confusedmile:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

aww ... thanks shadow ... just wanted to make sure you weren't mad
just believe what I believe and I guess was a bit agressive throwing it out there

Not at all dude - it's cool Cool.

*Shadow shakes you by the hand* :biggrin:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!