Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monterey Jazz Festival
Another masterclass performance at Montreaux...Earth Wind & Fire......

56 years ago...

It's an absolute crime that so many of Ornette Coleman's albums are out of print, especially his recordings with Prime Time, chief among them Of Human Feelings, which was the first jazz album to be fully digitally recorded in the States, in 1979 (although the album wasn't released until 1982, coincidentally the same year that another early all-digital recording, Donald Fagen's jazz-tinged The Nightfly, also landed in stores:

Featuring one of my favorite drummers ever, Tony Williams:

This song has always sent shivers down my spine; composed by Hermeto Pascoal and shot through electric with Miles' trumpet, it sounds like how I'd imagine the feeling of being on some faraway moon colony looking back at Earth yearning for home. Also it's a reminder of just how much of Miles' early 70s period the Flaming Lips were chiefing on when they dropped Embryonic in 2009:

This next one is from Miles' 80s comeback, on his Star People LP. My dad bought it new in 1983, and it's definitely a minor classic consisting of what I can only describe as some kind of space-blues fusion. Unfortunately I think it's also out of print on its own, but is available as part of an unwieldy 70-album box set for $700:

Billie Holiday needs no introduction:

Lady Day and Prez on CBS in 1957, two years before their deaths at 44 and 49, respectively, the same year the first video I linked in this post was released. Check his 30 second solo at around 2:40, and how she responds to it:

Monk:

THANKS Miles.I jut saw this. I have a confession...I am using this thread as a playlist now for my shop ...especially today because I am going to have over 500 people wine tasting in here from a local winery....and this is me and my BF's favorite music too.....so I can't wait to listen to everything you posted...and thanks.

East..your taste in Jazz music to me is IMPECCABLE...possibly because our taste are very very similar...haha...but in mentioning the Pointer Sisters...I was and still in LOVE with their first two CDs..the self entitled 'THE POINTER SISTERS' and 'THAT'S A PLENTY' ...the jazz numbers and vocal stylings that they display on these two CDs are so awesome to me and give me chills whenever I listen to them.

JohnSomebody Wrote:East..your taste in Jazz music to me is IMPECCABLE...possibly because our taste are very very similar...haha...but in mentioning the Pointer Sisters...I was and still in LOVE with their first two CDs..the self entitled 'THE POINTER SISTERS' and 'THAT'S A PLENTY' ...the jazz numbers and vocal stylings that they display on these two CDs are so awesome to me and give me chills whenever I listen to them.

Oh Yeah!!!!!! Me too...I loved loved loved The Pointer Sisters when they came out and I got their LPs the first weekend they were available..back in the early 70s when I was in high school. I was kinda a groupie for awhile..they are local girls...so is Boz Scaggs....

Funny thing..I just thought about. Sometimes...people are surprised that I have been faithful to the same man for 30 years as I was quite a slut when I was single....and I tell them that I have a very loyal part of me...and I am not really fickle at all when it comes to what I like. I know it exactly when I see it...I am never really unsure...about pretty much everything. It only takes me a few minutes to pick out clothes...

....and the reason I brought that up was something you said...about the Pointer Sisters. Flashback to the 1970s. MY favorite artists were Chaka Khan, Stevie Wonder, Eric Clapton, Boz Scaggs, Santana, Sly & Family Stone, WAR, Fleetwood Mac, Todd Rundgren, Quincy Jones, Janis Joplin, Ashford and Simpson, Doobie Brothers, Earth Wind and Fire, Pointer Sisters, Bette Midler, Diana Ross, Spinners, Gladys Knight, Linda Ronstandt. Led Zepplin, George Benson, Carole King (too many to list)...and except for two of them...I still like all the rest to this day...near a half century later....

[MENTION=12402]Miles[/MENTION] .......LOVED your playlist...so did my BF and our customers!!!! More please :biggrin:

A little mix of jazz and blue...and back in the 1970s..it was hard to find a gay man who didn't love her....

Bette Midler

Do You Wanna Dance

I Shall Be Released

Skylark

Some artists that have a jazz influence and do jazz festivals you might not think of as jazz....

Joni Mitchell...She is the artist who has my favorite album of all time...Court and Spark. I like her songwriting because it speaks to me...she writes alot of what I feel about different things...expresses it perfectly ALOT...rare for me...

Court and Spark

People's Parties

Help Me

...and then there is Steely Dan...

Rikki Don't Lose That Number

Hey Nineteen

Do It Again

.....and then Donald Fagen's solo efforts are heavily jazz influenced....

I.G.Y. (What A Beautiful World)

Mr Ray Charles.....no one ever quite like him. He is a Musical God and a Genius.

This tribute he did to Quincy Jones...hard to keep a dry eye. You can see how much they truly loved each other...don't matter to me if it is gay/straight/whatever...two men expressing love for each other is a beautiful thing. Quincy couldn't keep it together...

Hey East...I can totally relate to what you are saying in regard to loyalty. I am a huge collector of the music of all the artists that you have mentioned within this post...and I too am a huge fan of Steely Dan and Donald Fagen...LOVE HIM... the only thing with me is that I have a lot of older siblings..there are 10 of us to be exact and the older siblings introduced me to a lot of the artists' music that is mentioned here and at an early age... due to my dad...I started collecting music and still do to this day...and therefore...I am still a pretty loyal collector of all the artists you have mentioned.