Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monterey Jazz Festival
Some Yellowjackets, I always preferred their jazzier 90s work to their poppier 80s stuff:

Madlib's side project Yesterday's New Quintet paying tribute to Stevie Wonder:

And more (believe it or not, all the work of one man):

Here's an interesting combo right here:

Speaking of Wayne Shorter, this was always one of my favorites of his:

So many colorful textured brushstrokes in under four minutes:

Let's throw a little Joni in the mix here. Her guitar at this show looks identical to one of mine - although it looks like the head stock says Ibanez and mine is labeled cryptically as 'Eddie Durham Guitar Research'...but I digress:

Check out Elvin Jones' drum solo around the 8-minute mark:

I've long had a a soft spot for this song and loved the album it comes from, John McLaughlin's Electric Guitarist. Never been to New York, but it sounds like such a 'big-city-at-night' type of tune:

The video description claims the clarinetist is Jimmy Hamilton, but it looks more like Russell Procope to me...and what a lovely solo it is (clarinet doesn't get enough love). Gotta love the lively discussion near the end. And Duke Ellington as heroic as ever:

And of course I have to end this post with Miles' tribute to Duke after the latter's passing...it's 30 minutes long and still feels like it doesn't go on long enough:

[MENTION=12402]Miles[/MENTION]...you can be my DJ anytime. I was away from home all day yesterday and I listened to everything in your post (but I never type on my cell phone...UGH...I hate typing on it)

Sooo...thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Respect

Polish singer Basia.....Astrud.....so smooth....

I do love smooth jazz a lot..usually vocal with a heavy R&B influence...five of my favorites

...and at the top of that list would be Sade.....now THIS is a sexy woman IMO....

Give It Up

When Am I Going To Make A Living

Smooth Operator

Then there is Anita Baker who took 20 years off to raise her children .......

Sweet Love

Mystery

...and Brenda Russell...very good songwriter as well...I first bought her album when she was with her husband in the early 70s (Brian and Brenda)...LOL..now I have to see if that is on yourtube...

Piano In The Dark

Le Restaurant (Love This)

Oleta Adams...Brenda Russell actually wrote my favorite song by Oleta....Get Here

This is the video I like and used to watch but it is only partial now for some reason....

Get Here (full version)

Jevetta Steele - Calling You ...loved this when I heard it in Bagdad Café...

I have all of Basia's CDs, Brenda Russell and Oleta Adams as well and have been blessed with the opportunity to see them perform live in concert...I also love Phoebe Snow, Dave Koz and Will Downing and Lalah Hathaway.

JohnSomebody Wrote:I have all of Basia's CDs, Brenda Russell and Oleta Adams as well and have been blessed with the opportunity to see them perform live in concert...I also love Phoebe Snow, Dave Koz and Will Downing and Lalah Hathaway.

Oh yeah...I love Phoebe Snow too...and I was gonna post some Dave Koz stuff...still plan on it. I am not really familiar with Will Downing or Lalah Hathaway so I will check them out!

...and now a little Latin Flavor Jazz......

Bacoso - Mongo Santamaria...love this...it has such a primitive erotic feel....

Pat Metheny Group w/ David Bowie...This Is Not America...one of my favorites...

...and for [MENTION=22709]JohnSomebody[/MENTION] .....

Dave Koz...LOVE THE SAXAPHONE...and I had a bit of a crush on him (figures...he is a March Aries)

Careless Whisper

w/Vanessa Williams...she is great...but he can melt me with that sax...

...and the soulful Phoebe Snow (RIP)...one of the best songs of the 1970s...I used to blast this in my earphones...

Gil Scott Heron...LOVE THIS GUY............

The Bottle.....

Hey East...Thanks for the shoutout...in regard to Will Downing...he is AWESOME...check out on YouTube the duet that he does with Rachelle Farrelle entitled "Nothing Has Ever Felt Like This", and his version of "Wishing On A Star". In regard to Lalah Hathaway...check out her version of the Luther Vandross classic "For Ever, For Always, For Love". I honestly love both of these artists' music catalogs...but these are the songs that I suggest you check out since you are not familiar with them...I have no doubt that you will like them. Also...one of my all time favorite CDs is by the artist..Kenny Loggins...the CD "Leap Of Faith" ...I love this...I also love a song from his "Vox Humana" album..."Love Will Follow"...this is on my sex playlist..haha...too much information...haha...

JohnSomebody Wrote:Hey East...Thanks for the shoutout...in regard to Will Downing...he is AWESOME...check out on YouTube the duet that he does with Rachelle Farrelle entitled "Nothing Has Ever Felt Like This", and his version of "Wishing On A Star". In regard to Lalah Hathaway...check out her version of the Luther Vandross classic "For Ever, For Always, For Love". I honestly love both of these artists' music catalogs...but these are the songs that I suggest you check out since you are not familiar with them...I have no doubt that you will like them. Also...one of my all time favorite CDs is by the artist..Kenny Loggins...the CD "Leap Of Faith" ...I love this...I also love a song from his "Vox Humana" album..."Love Will Follow"...this is on my sex playlist..haha...too much information...haha...

Thank You for turning me on to them....I love them both......

Beyoncé...the soulless vampire. (can't stand her)... did this cover and sucked the life out of it...and it made me want to hurl...

THIS is how it is meant to be sung....

...love the original too....

I am gonna get his CD for my BF today......he will love it...so thanks again!

Oh wow...I didn't; make the connection between Lalah and Donny..love Donny...she is great...

I remember now though on AI when the guy I love...Elliott Yamin...had her sister Kenya as a back up singer. Funny...I think almost all jazz vocalists and musicians are sexy ...I just figured that out LOL