Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gay marriage a win in US?
Pix Wrote:I haven't seen the media hype, unless you count FOX just blasting Obama on general principles and predicting he will "fail." The media has been incredibly silent on nearly everything pointing to a growing police state, including FOX (who doesn't want to make Obama look "tough on the war on terror").

Oh, Fox is certainly guilty as you say, Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck, Michael Savage, and their counterparts in MSNBC, The Young Turks, Bill Press, etc . . . and then, and then there is the internet with its population of conspiracy theorists. The conspiracy theorists on the internet are wonderful! They truly represent the democratization of media . . . any one can get on youtube or start a blog about anything claiming anything and all without evidence. And it is sad to say, and this is not exclusively American, but people actually buy it and argue these outlandish stories as if they are arguing the history of the holocaust against a denier. I suppose more than anything, that is what I am talking about. I don't know, I suppose I feel sorry for those people. I cannot imagine being that cynical.

"We are at heart so profoundly anarchistic that the only form of state we can imagine living in is Utopian; and so cynical that the only Utopia we can believe in is authoritarian."
-Lionel Trilling

You know, I have to give you props for sticking with your convictions. I have to say that I cannot agree with them all, but I respect your right and willingness to express them.

And just as a point I would like to make to you:

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Fear is rampant in the USA. The government and the media keeps the US on an IV drip of high octane fear. This is why so many Americans have home security systems when so many Canadians don't even bother locking their door.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:America is less than three steps away from dictatorship, its less than 2 steps away from being a theocracy. Everything is already in place to turn the USA into a police state - hell in many ways we are already a police state and most Americans are either oblivious to it or are loving it.

This very much seems like its own kind of fear mongering, only instead of terrorists, gays, and thieves, this is advocating the fear of Christians, Republicans, and the Government in general. To me, this seams like you are doing the exact thing you are warning agaist. I'm not saying that we shouldn't all keep our eye on Christians, Republicans, and the Government, but I think we should also keep an eye on terrorists, thieves, and even SOME gay people. By the way, I don't lock my door. I've really never locked my door anytime I was home, and I really don't lock it unless I'm going away for a day or more.