Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moscow Pride banned ... again
In view of the way this event turned out there is a demo outside the Russian Embassy in London this Friday evening between 6-8pm.

The plan is for it to follow an apparently successful demonstration on 25th June in Berlin.

So, it's Opposite Russian Embassy in London, Bayswater Road, between Ossington Street & Palace Court W2. Nearest tube: Notting Hill Gate. See map: http://tiny.cc/zyaai

Hope to see some of you there.

Such a pity only about 20 people showed up... and just before Pride too... :eek:

... there was another action at the Russian Embassy. Five activists, including Nikolai Alekseev, IDAHo founder Louis-Georges Tin, photo journalist Chad Meacham (who photographed the giant portraits we displayed outside the Embassy in London), and two members of Act-Up Paris attempted to deliver a 14,000-signature petition to the embassy, but were arrested and prevented from doing so by the French police.

Later that day forty-five protesters turned up for the planned demo outside the Russian Embassy in Paris and were met by 150 riot police. In London there may have been half that number demonstrating, but the Met only thought to send three police officers along.

http://ukgaynews.org.uk/Archive/11/Jul/0801.htm

no offence to any of our Russian members but their country seems to count civil libertys pretty low in the scheme of things - maybe in around 20 years they may be more like the UK n europe is now - hope so anyway

It's sad and unfortunate, because in a country like Russia, Pride Parades do good by putting a face on this and starting the movement. It's debatable what happens after a while (look at the US), but still, all my best wishes to Nikolai in his pursuit of equality in Russia. And shame on those who would cast them aside and push them in the shadows. It disgraces all human rights.

Well I am shocked by the outrageous number of riot police for just 45 people. I can hold a class of about that number with just myself at the helm. This is despicable! :mad: