Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Cute Froggy <3
Nick9 Wrote:we have toads Smile

that's interesting what you have written about the white tree frogs...

I've heard that there are some tropical frogs so poisonous that people use them (not sure how exactly - maybe a touch is enough) to poison their arrows.

We have the exact Toad I put a picture of above; The Bufo Marinus, other wise known as the Giant Toad/Giant Marine Toad[Though it lives on land] or the Cane Toad. And I want one Loveya .

Yes, quite interesting *twists non-existant facial hair* Rofl

Perhaps the Dendrobate species... otherwise known as Dart Frogs.

They are a species that sweat or excrete poisons and are also pretty small. So they're like tiny assassins :biggrin: . Their poisons work the same as the Bufo Marinus, it's not lethal unless it gets into your body.

But even still, it's best to exude caution and to wash your hands when your done handling them. Many people keep them as pets and there are a variety of colours and sizes.
[Image: reticulated_poison_dart_frog.jpg]
[Image: 4469099301_6613bbbeda_z.jpg]

~Update:Video~

I caught my frogs "hanging" out after their dinner and secretly recorded them Confusedmile: .

Yes, they're on top of my Washing machine...they live in the Washroom, which actually works out, cause they like the humidity and no one[besides me] goes in there except for Sunday, when all the clothes get washed :biggrin: .

I couldn't get all 9 of them on there...

Also, the biggest one you see, I think she may have babies again... even though I don't think I have any males. Yella was preggers like 2-3weeks ago, but she had her eggs in her when I got her, so...

Anyway, here's my babies :biggrin:

~Update~

Just a quick update of my froggies Smile

I released some of them, due to crowding, I had way to many it seems, though they aren't territorial or agressive. Now I have 5 :].

In no particular order. And yes, the glass is dirty :[

[Image: IMG_1493.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1448.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1468.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1477.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1471.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1483.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1487.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1478.jpg]

They're not all the same frog, incase you were wondering. And yes, in the last picture, my plants died... I never proclaimed to be an efficient botanist! :p .

I can't remember who's who in the pictures, as I can't really see their Triangles[patterns on their backs], but I know Yella anywhere, cause she's bright Yellow :] .

[SIZE="5"]~Update~
New Addition[/SIZE]

Hey guys.

Yesterday, while working at the Zoo, a friend/co-worker and I were closing up some exhibits and we happened upon a little Marine Toad! :eek:

They're fairly common here, but where we found him was what made our eyebrows shoot up. He somehow got into a locked pump room.

Anyway, I went to give him to the guy who's in charge of us, but he didn't want it and told me to put it in a box so they can euthanize it...

I picked the box up and practically ran home with him :tongue:.

For some reason, I just couldn't let it happen...

So I brought him home and now Trevor is sitting in his water-bowl, looking all dignified with his head held high Roflmao .

These Toad's Bufotenin[poison] is pretty potent and is a Class 1 Drug in Australia, next to heroin and Marijuana, so handling has to be gentle, lest you scare one and make it excrete poisons.

They only ever do it when really really scared.

Also, another interesting fact; They are the only or one of the only Anurans[Frogs/Toads] to be able to eat both live and dead matter, as well as plant matter, so they're one of the least pickiest eaters.

They eat;

Insects
Fish
Dog/Cat Food
Vegetable leftovers
Carrion[dead animals]
Mice[Pinky Mice]
Other Frogs/Toads that are smaller

And pretty much anything else that can fit into their mouths.

But besides all that, I find them to be really cute. Not as warty as most people assume.

and no; You cannot get warts from a Toad, just by touching it. Rolleyes

Anywho, here he is. I didn't take to many pictures, because he was napping Smile . They are Nocturnal and Diurnal.

Him in the water-bowl. They drink through their skin, so he's drinking.
[Image: IMG_1549.jpg]

Not the best set-up right now, but I'm getting there. The Pot is for him to hide in, if he feels scared or stressed.
[Image: IMG_1551.jpg]

A common misconception with Toads is; if you pour salt onto their backs[which is actually painful to them], that they will die.

Well, with this specific Species of Toad, they pretty much swim in Brackish Waters with no difficulties, as they are able to tolerate a Salinity of about 40% in their water. So salt hurts them, but it doesn't kill them, atleast right away.

I do not recommend pouring of salt on any Toad/Frog, as it is quite inhumane and is basically like pouring acid on a Human.

Lastly these Toads live from 15-20years in captivity, although they can live longer. A lady who's been working with these toads for years[and works at the Zoo as well], had one for nearly 17years. And they are quite active for Toads Smile.

Loveya

~Tiny Update~

As I did for my snails, I reduced my number of frogs, just to make things simpler and easier for myself, with work and all :p .

I kept one big one and I might get a playmate at some point :biggrin:

Here she[I'm pretty sure] is Loveya

Kinda hard to see in this pic :/
[Image: IMG_1602.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1603.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1604.jpg]

Loveya

cute Luvkiss

ceez Wrote:cute Luvkiss

Tehe, thanks. She deserves most of the credit lol. Loveya