Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first short story and proud of it!
I've just finished writing my first short story, it's called 'The Berlin Courtyard' and I'm really proud of it.

It's about a young student that moves to Berlin to pursue his Law studies. He eventually falls in love with a neighbour that ends up being arrested for political reasons.

The year is 1935 and nazism has just taken over the country. I wanted to show how nazism and WW2 totally messed up human relationships.

Can we find it misterlove? The Nazi's messed up so much.

partisan Wrote:Can we find it misterlove? The Nazi's messed up so much.

Hi baby! It was written in portuguese, I'm trying to find a translator.

I was inspired by the words of a german journalist called Sebastian Haffner who said that one of the novelties of WW2 was the destruction of human relationships. I guess that WW1 was entirely different in this regard, it took place far away in the trenches and probably didn't affect people's lives so negatively.

Yes WW2 was the lightning war wasn't it misterlove or blitzkrieg. Touched civilian life so much more than WWI, which was being fought on some French.or Belgium field,for barely feet of ground. WWII was much more destructive, despite the fact WWI is referred to as the "great war" it was meant to be a war to end all wars, but it was prelude to Nazism, i read that some historian call it the 30 year war 1914 - 1945, i dont agree with that though.

Interesting this short story; as someone who is half Jewish myself, I am always keen to see thoughtful Nazi-Era stories, although inevitably characters and situations can easily get stereotyped and cliched if you aren't careful. Try a story that 'thinks outside the box' like the famous graphic novel 'MAUS'.
Also, importantly, the First World War did have a fundamental influence on the rise of Nazism; the Nazis grew out of German resentment over the way in which Germany was 'punished' by the terms of the Versailles Treaty in 1919. Then there was the human toll in the form of the horrific toll of injuries and deaths on so many young men, on an unprecedented scale; the main difference between WW1 and WW2 was that WW1 killed mainly vast numbers of servicemen while WW2 killed vast numbers of Civilians (Including those killed by Hitler in the death camps). Finally, WW1 triggered the 'Spanish Flu' epidemic in 1918, which altogether killed more people than died in the trenches from 1914 to 1918.

I would like to read your short story if I may.
An eye for an eye

Thanks guys. I'm afraid reactions haven't been great (plot holes, shallow characters, etc), I wish I'd had more time to develop it.