Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New latop getting used to windows 8
I don't have Win 8 (and deff do not want it) ... I've used it a bit and hate it - that mess of randomly colored 'tiles' sucks. LOL. If I ever change from Win-XP / 98 I'd be tempted to try out Linux again

As others have said click the 'desktop' tile and you'll have one a fairly standard-looking windows desktop back...just one (very important) part is missing. The 'start' menu :eek: if you click where it should be you'll get the tiles thingie back (thats basically your 'start menu')
I founs the thing unfriendly/ugly/and sorta un-useable....but searched found out a way to (somewhat) put the start menu back....at least that made it much more useable and easy again Smile (I could probably deal with it that way)

add start menu to Windows 8:

First, right-click any blank area of the taskbar, if "Lock the taskbar" is checked, uncheck it. (if not checked its ready to go)

Next, again right-click any blank area of the taskbar, select 'Toolbars' and 'New toolbar'

Now type "c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" and hit enter (note "c:" is the default hard-drive on many computers, but on some it may be different, use whatever yours happens to be)
((you could also Browse to Disk C: and select(double click) 'ProgramData' then 'Microsoft' then 'Windows' and highlight(single click) 'Start Menu' then hit enter ))

Now you'll have a simplified version of the 'start menu' on the taskbar - located on the right end, before the clock.
(you can drag this to the left, and re-size it so "programs" doesn't show)

I have it on my tablet and I also have a pdf manual for it.

If you pm me your email addy I will send you a copy of it.

Things are going better with it niw, I seem to have cracked it. :-)