Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not a proper way to talk
I have just seen a survey on the net that most folk think the west midlands accent is the worst in the UK. I really disagree. I think the worst one is the way they speak in Ulster. Which, in truth, is not even part of the UK but a usurped part of Ireland and should be a part of the republic. The Ulster accent sounds like somebody with a bad throat hawking and coughing and spitting all over. Vile noises.

Before anybody gets on their high horse, this is my own PERSONAL opinion to which I am entitled.

I believe you are wrong in saying that ULSTER is not part of the United Kingdom, the full name of which is THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ENGLAND, SCOTLAND, WALES AND NORTHERN IRELAND (in other words most of ULSTER) What Ulster is not a part of is GREAT BRITAIN (Home of the Brave, land of the free ??? Hehe -- just kidding) (the bigger of the two largest islands making up the BRITISH ISLES (ie GB & IRELAND). Considering that the BRITISH EMPIRE was once one on which the sun never set, I'd easily add all the now COMMONWEALTH countries which use English as their official language.
Now, THERE's a choice (or a selection) for you!!

princealbertofb Wrote:I believe you are wrong in saying that ULSTER is not part of the United Kingdom, the full name of which is THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ENGLAND, SCOTLAND, WALES AND NORTHERN IRELAND (in other words most of ULSTER) What Ulster is not a part of is GREAT BRITAIN (Home of the Brave, land of the free ??? Hehe -- just kidding) (the bigger of the two largest islands making up the BRITISH ISLES (ie GB & IRELAND). Considering that the BRITISH EMPIRE was once one on which the sun never set, I'd easily add all the now COMMONWEALTH countries which use English as their official language.
Now, THERE's a choice (or a selection) for you!!

Point taken but the title of this Kingdom is as you say above including AND NORTHERN IRELAND which seems odd as it implys that the province IS part of Ireland. Perhaps The "Province of Ulster" would be more appropriate.

But I think, Enigma, if I am not mistaken, that some small parts of Ulster (the historical province) are now part of the Republic of Ireland (Eire) and therefore calling Northern Ireland as it is cut out politically these days isn't quite quite right... That's what I remember reading somewhere.
But it is true that on TV they used to say ULSTER to say Northern Ireland... Maybe they don't do it anymore.
PA

Enigma Wrote:Point taken but the title of this Kingdom is as you say above including AND NORTHERN IRELAND which seems odd as it implys that the province IS part of Ireland. Perhaps The "Province of Ulster" would be more appropriate.

Well, it IS part of IRELAND (the island) not part of EIRE (the Republic of Ireland)... The Irish make the distinction, don't they? Eire wont be the first country to share an island. Think of San Domingo and Haiti. Think of Papua New Guinea and Indonesia, or the island of Borneo shared by Indonesians and the Malay states.

Incidentally, EIRE has some very nice Euro coins, did you know? Scatter