Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama v. Romney: Who will win?
Santorum has left the race. Romney will get the nomination of Republicans.

Quick questions for GaySpeak members.

Who will win? Romney or Obama.

Obama. When I see Romney all I can think about is the Manchurian Candidate.

I hope it will be Obama, otherwise we are screwed. :p

I stopped voting for the best man for the job years ago, now I just vote for the one who feel will to the least amount of damage in office...

Well if Gary Johnson gets the Libertarian party nomination, I'm voting for him. If not, then Obama. I'm certain Obama will win though as the economy is increasing at a slow rate and that's what this entire election has been built up around. There will be battle over social issues such as marriage equality. With these two candidates, DADT is dead thank god. It'll come down to who people relate more to or think has a better plan and I think Obama's policies are showing that they're working and remember people are afraid of change usually more than anything else so who knows. They may not want to tamper with things and keep him in office.

I sorta like Gary Johnson, but the LP "drafting" Bob Barr in '08 was the last straw for me, even if I gave him the benefit of a doubt when he said he's now anti-PATRIOT Act and anti-drug war (as he did more than talk on these 2 issues before the 2008 campaign--but I'm still wary of him even on these issues). I don't even pay attention to them anymore. I kinda like the idea of Barr running again in 2012 to take away some fundie votes for the Republicans, though I suppose Johnson can steal away the votes of the one who wanted to vote for Ron Paul so maybe it can still work (but then I get the impression many RP supporters won't give their vote to anyone else anyway--at least not in the 2 major parties--as they hold the rest of the Republicans in as much contempt as they do the Democrats, which is why I prefer someone to steal some of the fundie vote instead). And I know plenty of other Republicans are really upset with Obama on Obamacare and so I'm hoping Romney pretty much instituting about the same thing in his home state also costs him some of the Republican vote (I've read some articles that let me know some Republicans are worried about this which gives me hope that I get my wish on that).

I'm breathing a sigh of relief that Romney is looking to be the Republican choice for POTUS in '12 as he seems like a typical politician. While not good, I think it's far better from the religious insanity of Perry, Bachmann, and Santorum, and while Gingrich is also "typical" he seems more toxic to me than Romney. (I have very mixed feelings about Ron Paul.)

All the same, the war on women, gays, and separation of church & state by the Republican Party since 2010 (when it became their raison d'être as opposed to secondary issues that they had treated it as before) has scared me to the point that I'm probably gonna vote Democrat all the way. I have problems with the Democrat Party, and Obama in particular as well (though Obama has pleasantly surprised me in a number of ways), but the Republicans have scared me bad enough to do it. I'm heartened that I personally know a handful of (moderate) Republicans who are also deeply disturbed with their party's new focus and plan to withhold their votes until their party get back to things like individual liberty and economic issues (at least one is even planning on voting for Obama no matter what). I'm hoping the Republicans lose so badly--not barely, but badly--that they abandon their anachronistic values as self-defeating and become a lot more moderate. I'm pretty cynical of humanity, but if they can win despite all the crap they've been spouting and doing for the past couple of years then I'm gonna decide I'm not cynical enough.

Still, some just can't get over their hatred of Obama to the point I think even some Clinton-hating Republicans would vote for Hillary if she ran as the Republican alternative to him. And Obama has also lost some of his support from disillusioned supporters who've lost their faith in him. So I really don't know who's going to win...and frankly I worry about voter fraud as well which I suspect will be a lot worse than usual in '12.

All in all I'm not making any bets on which one will win.

DarkDaisuke Wrote:Well if Gary Johnson gets the Libertarian party nomination, I'm voting for him. If not, then Obama. I'm certain Obama will win though as the economy is increasing at a slow rate and that's what this entire election has been built up around. There will be battle over social issues such as marriage equality. With these two candidates, DADT is dead thank god. It'll come down to who people relate more to or think has a better plan and I think Obama's policies are showing that they're working and remember people are afraid of change usually more than anything else so who knows. They may not want to tamper with things and keep him in office.

You will learn that throwing your presidential vote at a third party runner is like throwing it in the trash.

I'm registered as a third party person, however I don't vote president that way (and a few of the other higher offices like govenator) The primary reason is that third party candidates are pretty much put out to pasture early on. Look at the debates - never really three or more parties, they focus on Demoncrates and Repuglicans.

There is not enough third party votes to actually swing these larger offices away from the two party system. Many would be party voters know this and throw in the towel and even register as one of the two Big Evils.

It is a messed up system. The last time a "third party" President hit office was technically Lincoln being a member of the then new Republican party (when it was fresh, young, idealistic and nothing like they are today).

The only two U.S. Presidents without a major party affiliation were George Washington and Andrew Johnson. So the chances that a third party person hitting the big jackpot in this black and white, two party system today is extremely low.

If Romney wins then I'll eat my hat and lose a little faith in the human race.

somehow Bush got in and was in office for 2 terms.
it could be that Romney is cannon fodder in a incumbent election because no one else wanted to run

Romney may be getting desperate...

Roflmao