Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One good thing that happened to you today
Played well when I went bowling with my dad and my cousin.
730 something.
Which is nice to do the day before a bowling match.
We should be able to win against the team we're meeting without too much of a hassle though.

I almost completely finished my Xmas shopping. And cooked a roast. And baked some mince pies. Oops, that was three things :/
Gossip is the Devil’s telephone; best just to hang up.

Got the gold trophy on Rise Of The Tomb Raider on PS4 Smile

Yeah, not a lot happened today.

Well after 2 days of trying to do all sorts of improvements with my ham raido stuff I did finally get everything done. Attempted to put up 30 feet of pipe to serve as a pole to put my antennas one, for several reasons decided not to go through with it and returned the pipe and so on... However, I did get the LMR-400 coax put in and it made a huge difference... The RG-8X is too lossy on VHF (and even worse on UHF). I run 75 watts and maybe 30 watts was making it to the antenna...now with the LMR-400 in addition to shortening the length by going out the window probably closer to 68-70...

Anyway really had a terrible time getting the connectors on (PL-259). Me having not done a whole lot of it didn't really know the trick to it...so because I did it wrong the first few attempts the antenna analyzer said the SWR was like 6:1 which is bad (anything higher than 2:1 is not good, really should be better than 1.5:1)... I finally decided to google around because I thought there must be a special connector for this LMR cable as it is way bigger in diameter than the RG-8X and the connectors were just barely getting in...

So I figured out the trick and with not the best tools got it all sorted out.

So yeah...geeking out big time this weekend lol
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:Well after 2 days of trying to do all sorts of improvements with my ham raido stuff I did finally get everything done. Attempted to put up 30 feet of pipe to serve as a pole to put my antennas one, for several reasons decided not to go through with it and returned the pipe and so on... However, I did get the LMR-400 coax put in and it made a huge difference... The RG-8X is too lossy on VHF (and even worse on UHF). I run 75 watts and maybe 30 watts was making it to the antenna...now with the LMR-400 in addition to shortening the length by going out the window probably closer to 68-70...

Anyway really had a terrible time getting the connectors on (PL-259). Me having not done a whole lot of it didn't really know the trick to it...so because I did it wrong the first few attempts the antenna analyzer said the SWR was like 6:1 which is bad (anything higher than 2:1 is not good, really should be better than 1.5:1)... I finally decided to google around because I thought there must be a special connector for this LMR cable as it is way bigger in diameter than the RG-8X and the connectors were just barely getting in...

So I figured out the trick and with not the best tools got it all sorted out.

So yeah...geeking out big time this weekend lol

NEEERRRRD!!!!!

j/k j/k lol, glad you got it sorted out though Big Grin.
I was beginning to wonder if you were gonna let a wire get the best of you Wink.Frog

I got to see the wine cellars in the foundation of the Brooklyn Bridge today, and I made over $50 in tips.

JohnMusic Wrote:I am saying this here. The response to my introduction here was an insult. Maybe talking about myself makes some people angry.

SilverBullet Wrote:NEEERRRRD!!!!!

j/k j/k lol, glad you got it sorted out though Big Grin.
I was beginning to wonder if you were gonna let a wire get the best of you Wink.Frog

Ugh!!! That stuff is difficult to work with if you don't know how to work with it... The cable is thick, very stiff.

My thumb bled a couple times and from being poked from trying to twist the copper wires are all raw...

Now that I have it figured out probably take all of a minute to put a connector on, but the other "classic" thing that I do (and did a couple of times) was forget to put the sleeve on for the connector...SOOO I would have to de-solder the tip or cut it off and try again... All while not trying to burn the shite out of myself with a hot soldering iron...

To put things in perspective...

[Image: Coax-Comparison-Image.jpg]

The LMR-400 is a lot like the RG-8 at the bottom...but slightly larger and also has an inner foil jacket under the braided shield...

Then you have all the different connectors.... PL-259 (aka UHF) on the top left..

[Image: M10-2.png]
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Yesterday was my day off so I could sleep all day :3

Had supervision at work and it went well
An eye for an eye

I managed to finish cleaning up and organizing my Active Directory (computer network) at work today. I came into my job with it being a big mess and it just feels so good.