Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for M/M fiction readers
I read a lot of spiritual stuff and, at work, a lot of tech stuff. M/M fiction is my go-to for easy reading (well, audio books for the commute actually). Josh Lanyon, perhaps the most prolific M/M author and a writer on a how-to book on the subject, points out that the overwhelming majority of M/M readers are straight females, and if you want to sell your books, you need to write to that audience, which makes sense. It also seems that the majority of M/M writers are female.

I’m going to stick my neck out and say that as a rule I do not care for the M/M fiction generated by nearly all female writers, and I generally resent that some of these writers also like to use pen names that tend to be associated with males or intentionally obscure their sex. Based on reader reviews - again, nearly all females - the better the review, the more solid and interesting the plot. But the sex is always cookie-cutter and mechanically correct, but devoid of what I think of as gay male emotional involvement in the moment. Therefore I tend to search for M/M fiction written BY male writers FOR gay male readers.

So I’m looking for suggestions from other M/M readers for good male writers writing for gay male readers. (Personally, I’m not much into the vampire genre or the shape-shifting genre. Everything I care about shape-shifting has to do with dieting, tyvm.)

I will note one exception: Jordan L Hawk in the “Whyborne & Griffin” series. After the first two books, I was certain that the writer was male, but she isn’t. (She lives in my part of the state, and I’d love to meet her sometime.) The sex is imho relatable and believable and not the same scenes from every other book with just the names changed. If anyone had told me I’d be re/reading gay sci-fi books, I’d have said “never!”, but these are so enjoyable. And they’re also gas-light era M/M romances a la “Maurice” which is my favorite.

I will also note that Michael Thomas Ford’s novels have been among the better ones I’ve read, especially “Full Circle” though it wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea; then, following the ratings downward, I got to “Changing Tides” which was a struggle for me to finish.

Brad Boney is my current favorite. I’ve read “The Return” and “The Nothingness of Ben” each twice, and am anxious to get my hands on his third book due out this summer.

There’s one verified male author who is quite prolific but must be writing to the female audience because in three books so far, the action is minimal, the sex is boring, and the dialog is ridiculous. I cannot understand how he churns out so many books that are so formulaic and plain drab.

Anyone else here relate to this and have any suggestions? Feel free to PM me as well.

I don't read a lot of M/M fiction, but there was one story I read that I recommend.

"Zero At The Bone" by Jane Seville. Much like 50 Shades of Grey started as fan fiction, "Zero" is based upon two existing characters in film (not a kids/'tween' movie - a movie very much set for adults).

Here is the synopsis from the company that published the book.

After witnessing a mob hit, surgeon Jack Francisco is put into protective custody to keep him safe until he can testify. A hitman known only as D is blackmailed into killing Jack, but when he tracks him down, his weary conscience won't allow him to murder an innocent man. Finding in each other an [I]unlikely ally, Jack and D are soon on the run from shadowy enemies.

Forced to work together to survive, the two men forge a bond that ripens into unexpected passion. Jack sees the wounded soul beneath D's cold, detached exterior, and D finds in Jack the person who can help him reclaim the man he once was. As the day of Jack's testimony approaches, he and D find themselves not only fighting for their lives... but also fighting for their future. A future together. [/I]

[Image: ZeroattheBoneAudLG.jpg]
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

"Xavier Mayne" is good imo. Well-written, good humour, well-rounded characters and hot naughty scenes

While, alot of the books I've read were female authors, I don't necessarily feel like they're necessarily bad. These were easily one of the ones with a nice plot and characters. ( Atleast , to me. )

[Image: 7090484.jpg]
[Image: 7466783.jpg]
[Image: 2403922.jpg]
[Image: 9221370.jpg]

SkinnyGuy123 Wrote:"Xavier Mayne" is good imo. Well-written, good humour, well-rounded characters and hot naughty scenes

"Frat House Troopers" - Who can resist a title like that, esp w/ 4.5 stars? Sold! Thanks - looking forward to it.

[quote=Kenny221]While, alot of the books I've read were female authors, I don't necessarily feel like they're necessarily bad. These were easily one of the ones with a nice plot and characters. ( Atleast , to me. )

I've read many, many female authors whose stories have great plots and are well written - Rhys Ford and Alex Beecroft come to mind of late - and the women who write the historical fiction seem to be the best in their research and attention to detail and accuracy - another shout out to Alex Beecroft on that genre.

But when it comes down to the sex itself, it's more often mechanical...anatomically correct with the standard doses of dripping sweat, lube in some form, and predictable groaning...but off target on the male emotions.

I've not read anything by the authors you've cited, but will gladly check them out. Thanks so much for taking the time to suggest them!

I love M/M fiction. Been reading too much of it, actually. I have read many books by Ethan Day, which includes sexy scenes, and original storylines. I haven't read everything by him, but I would recommend him as a M/M author.

MRossW Wrote:"Frat House Troopers" - Who can resist a title like that, esp w/ 4.5 stars? Sold! Thanks - looking forward to it.

Yay! Hope you enjoy. Frat House Troopers was good, though my favourite one of his is "Cupid's Big Weekend".

Great book suggestions Kenny221, thanks

deltalover4 Wrote:I love M/M fiction. Been reading too much of it, actually. I have read many books by Ethan Day, which includes sexy scenes, and original storylines. I haven't read everything by him, but I would recommend him as a M/M author.

Grabbed one...they are all well rated, so that's promising. Looking forward to it. Thanks (from someone who's practically you're neighbor LOL)