Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Racial Hangups?
myapple Wrote:I really don't understand how you don't think that's racist lol. In my opinion, it is to a degree. By not wanting to date anyone of another ethnicity makes me assume you think they're all the same. It's like you're making skin tone more than what it is. The love of your life or someone who could have everything you ever wanted in a man could be Black, Hispanic or Asian, but you'd never know because you wouldn't date them or even think about dating them based on the color of their skin. Not meaning to snap on you, but I'm just really tired of people saying "It's not racist to not be attracted to [insert race] guys/girls." I'm not angry, I just find it odd and confusing that people think like that.

As for the original question OP asked, no. There's no racial hang ups here. I love all different shapes, sizes and flavors lol.

This is interesting. I'm Vietnamese, and I'm attracted to mostly Caucasian people. Although I'm also attracted to my own race, the people I find attractive have physical characteristics that are based on Western standard of beauty. In other words, I'm generally attracted to Vietnamese people who have double eyelids, high nose, light skin tone, and at least 1.7 meters in height. I have always been attracted to these features ever since I'm aware of my sexuality. Frankly, when I was young, my mom told me that double eyelids and high nose are the standards of beauty. She never enforces those ideas in my mind, but I think it has something to do with my attraction for men who have those features.

My mom told me this before I knew that those are Western standard of beauty. I'm also attracted to black men who are obviously double-eyelid and high nose. However, I'm usually attracted to black men whose complexion is honey-like (eg: Beyonce, Tyra, Will Smith). That doesn't mean dark black skin tone has something wrong. It's just my natural attraction.

I won't blame you or get angry if you think I'm racist. I don't want to be one, but I can't force myself to be attracted to people who don't have physical features I desire.

cardiganwearer Wrote:Then let me put you right on that. I do not joke about massacres and genocide.

Oh look it's Britain's colonialist history, what wonders lie in store:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jallianwala_Bagh_massacre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batang_Kali_massacre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unequal_treaty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boer_war

[Image: 89206d1350908826_salikomediaa_apply_cold_water_t.jpg]

[Image: I_WON.jpg]

TROLOLOLOLOL

I'm more interested in people's characters than what society tells me X race is supposed to be like.

Granted there are some real cultural differences. For instance I have been known to wear a kilt and I do have a rather great fondness for potatoes and anything with alcohol in it, and I enjoy bagpipe music (I have like 500 Mp3s which are dedicated solely to that angelic sounding instrument). If you guessed I was a mixed breed (Scots/Irish) you win a brownie button.

I expect a few differences to exist.

I have dated/been in relationships with various races (only 8 men in my life, so its not saying much). While I did make a few wrong choices in men, it had more to do with their personalities/personal character than any racial stereotype one can think of.

Of course there are cultural differences. I appreciate those and, have been with a black, an Irishman, and two German/German mix myself.

I like potatoes, bagpipes and, sauerkraut because I learned to appreciate such things form others.

As for me, being Native Amer can/French I tend to eat croissants and drink coffee form a French Press while wearing buckskins and listening to Native American drums and chants.

Hmm what rhythm on the drums goes with bagpipes? :tongue:

Lilitu Wrote:Oh look it's Britain's colonialist history, what wonders lie in store:

Kind of missing the point of what cardigan was trying to say.

Marc Wrote:And here lives the problem with modern day Western thinking.
The PC brigade are out in force, constantly labeling anybody that expresses a personal opinion/preference that maybe slightly negative towards 1 or other ethnic group.

It's almost as tiring as the asinine cries of "pc gone wild" directed at any opinion one disagrees with. Whether that involves a coherent definition of pc or not.

Lol, whoa this escalated quickly. I don't mind what race a person is as long as the person doesn't find it in issue what race I am. There are a lot of people out there who think that you have to choose just one culture, and that's it. I'm Dominican by ethnicity, but American by nationality. I celebrate and acknowledge my culture in the privacy of my home and out in public, because I shouldn't have to remove a part of my identity to be considered the nationality of the country I swear allegiance to. You can be your ethnic culture and your national culture at the same time. People who tell me that's not possible and I have to choose one over the other are people I would not date.

o_o but I won.

Marc Wrote:And here lives the problem with modern day Western thinking.
The PC brigade are out in force, constantly labeling anybody that expresses a personal opinion/preference that maybe slightly negative towards 1 or other ethnic group.

Saying I am racist because I won't date certain ethnic peoples, is the same as calling me racist for not dating women.. Absurd.

Lol @ you blaming where I live for the way I think. I don't even think you're looking at it from a different perspective. Oh well.

[Image: tumblr_lthho9PzSZ1qi1df8o1_250.gif]

In my opinion, it depends on your reasons for not dating certain races. If it's because there are few to none where you live or, because you simply have not found one you like who is of the right orientation, then, that's how it goes.

Now if you think "Ew, not dating that because he/she is [insert race.]" then you are a bit racist when it comes to dating.

UrbanBookworm Wrote:Lol, whoa this escalated quickly. I don't mind what race a person is as long as the person doesn't find it in issue what race I am. There are a lot of people out there who think that you have to choose just one culture, and that's it. I'm Dominican by ethnicity, but American by nationality. I celebrate and acknowledge my culture in the privacy of my home and out in public, because I shouldn't have to remove a part of my identity to be considered the nationality of the country I swear allegiance to. You can be your ethnic culture and your national culture at the same time. People who tell me that's not possible and I have to choose one over the other are people I would not date.

That is still acclimatising, there is no need to forget your heritage and celebrate your heritage, but the problem arises when you go to someone elses house and try to change the rules to suit your heritage rather than embrace and celebrate both equally...hosts get annoyed when you try to change their history and their cultures Wink