Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommend a Book thread!
as the title,if there was a book you loved and want to share then list here,not just something you are reading but loved.

ive tried getting into books and the only ones i ever liked were as a kid where you rolled the dice and had a pen and paper like a RPG book... Authors were steve jackson and ian livingstone... I managed to flog all the collection for about 80 quid and bought it from a carboot sale for 13 quid so didnt do too bad in turn over time

I recommend everyone read almost anything by William Gibson or Philip K. Dick, I myself prefer Gibson but only because he wrote my bible Neuromancer. Which just might have the best opening line in the history of literature.
"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin

I couldn't put it down.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

My favorite fiction book to recommend is East of Eden by John Steinbeck...he is also my favorite author to recommend bar none. I also love reading Terry Brooks.

Most of the books I read, however, are non fiction...usually found in the spiritual/metaphysical part of the bookstore. Deepak Chopra is the most prolific of the authors I like but there are many others like Shakti Gawain, The Dalai Lama, Shirley MacLaine, Stephen Chang, Krishnamurti, Reshad Feild, Dan Millman..I mostly like subjects dealing with physical and mental well being and balance and growth and things that uplift your spirit but DEFINITELY not someone like Dr Phil (BARF).

have to agree with Steinbeck, "of mice and men" was a great read,got another book by him but not got to that one yet,hope it's as good.

I love Of Mice And Men...I actually love all of his stuff. I would recommend anything by him.

East Wrote:I mostly like subjects dealing with physical and mental well being and balance and growth and things that uplift your spirit

I prefer novels dealing with unhappy people. Gives me a sense of perspective that my life isn't that bad.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Where do I begin...

The Outsider by Albert Camus

This was one of the most thought-provoking books I have ever read. If you have ever considered what it means to be human, of what governs our decisions, what makes us work - this book will make you see an entirely new perspective. It also acts as a pleasingly smooth introduction to existentialism.