Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommend a Book thread!
If I had to list a book(s) that I loved and would recommend it would have to be Frank Herbert's 6 books in the Dune series:

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse Dune

These books just blew me away. Frank Herbert created such a rich and diverse history to his fictional worlds that it was just incredible to read. The metaphysical themes he tackles are a challenge though and can leave you mind-boggled :biggrin:
I know sci-fi isn't everyone's cup of tea but if its a genre you like and you've not read these books yet, I'd recommend giving them a go.

Oh god not Of mice and men I had to study that ibn school and it drove me bloody banananas... Fell asleep watching the film too

Here are a few of my favorites.

historical fiction: The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers by Margaret George.

fantasy: Magic Kingdom for Sale - Sold! by Terry Brooks

ETA: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

My ten favourite books in no particular order:

Emma by Jane Austen
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson (this is poetry)
Orlando by Virginia Woolf
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
Howards End by E.M. Forster
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

About half of my pics are notably early 20th century/Modernist which may not be to everyone's taste.

There are some others I enjoy but don't consider to be great must-reads:

A Prayer for Owen Meany, The Cider House Rules, and The World According to Garp by John Irving.
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
The Woman who Walked Into Doors by Roddy Doyle

Fantasy: Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
Sci-fi: Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin

Edit: I'd also second the recommendation of Giovanni's Room and L'etranger/Outsider/Stranger. If one has a taste for existentialist literature I'd also recommend: Sartre's Nausea and his play No-Exit; Camus' the Fall and his essay The Myth of Sisyphus; Beckett's plays Endgame, Waiting for Godot, Not I and Play.

The famous production of Not I that Beckett directed for the BBC is available on youtube as well.

It's only 7 minutes long and worth watching if you're into that kind of avant-garde absurdist kind of thing.

I just finished Caleo by james crawford. Great story! Love that although the main character is gay it has little affect on the science fiction storyline. There are a few grammar errors but thestory is great!

Some of my favorites that come to mind:

1984 by George Orwell
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
A Taste of Blackberries by Doris Buchanan Smith
Children of the River by Linda Crew
Ultimate Questions: Thinking About Philosophy by Nils Rauhut
The Awakening by Kate Chopin
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Giver by Lois Lowry
A Summer To Die by Lois Lowry
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle
A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor

And I could go on, but I think 15 (including the one I'm about to mention) is enough.

The last book I want to mention is Still Alice by Lisa Genova. It was recommended to me by one of my sociology professors and after several months of procrastination, I finally read it. I wish I hadn't waited so long! Still Alice is a truly captivating story about a woman's struggle with Alzheimer's Disease and the effects it has on her, her family, and her colleagues. While reading it, I found myself forgetting everything around me, even my own hunger, and finished reading the entire book (just short of 300 pages) in two days. Out of all of the books I've read, Still Alice is easily one of the greatest, and I highly recommend it to everyone here! I have to warn you, though, for when/if you're able to read it: you'll need a 'full' box of tissues handy. Smile

Spoiler:

Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind

Thinking Straight - Robin Reardon
The Rapture - Liz Jensen

Two amazing books that I've read recently.

Well, since the film is coming out, I would suggest reading "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer. I was introduced to his work in a Jewish-American Fiction class I took in college when I was assigned "Everything is Illuminated", which was also made into a movie. Both are incredibly good books and both are characterized by a very interesting use of experimental language.

The first film was very good with a great soundtrack. I'm hoping the second will be too, though it seems more mainstream than the first.

"Everything is Illuminated":

"Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close"